Sep 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Mops123

New Head-Fier
i use the pc for : gaming/music/movies

there is no main use, i use the 3 of them pretty much

i have:
audigy se
amp http://audio-database.com/TechnicsPanasonic/amp/su-c04-e.html
speakers:http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SB-F1.html (click on spec bottom left corner)

i think i should buy new speakers, these are great when low/middle volume. but they have problems when i really want to "rock" XD.

any advice would be much apreciated, thanks

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 21
I'll say the speakers.

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 21
What configuration do you want? For music you can get near field monitors. For gaming if you use surround you can go for 5.1.
M-Audio, Swan, AudioEngine all are low to mid budget. 

Also, my knowledge in different speaker models is a bit rusty so to say. I'm not really a speaker user
L3000.gif
and I believe there are other (better) sites for speaker advice...

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 21
i was thinking in a 2.0, cause music in 5.1/7.1 sounds horrible, i might get a 2.1, i will ask

plz referr me to another forum which might have better knowledge in speakers.

if you will  check another thread of mine where i ask which headphones to buy, you seem to knoew very much i and like experts opinoins ( i say it casue of the thread you created XD )

ty
What configuration do you want? For music you can get near field monitors. For gaming if you use surround you can go for 5.1.
M-Audio, Swan, AudioEngine all are low to mid budget. 

Also, my knowledge in different speaker models is a bit rusty so to say. I'm not really a speaker user
L3000.gif
and I believe there are other (better) sites for speaker advice...

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 21
Ok, for 2.0 you can look for monitors, as I listed in the previous post. All those brands are well known for monitors in the mid range.
Also, you can ask at avsforum, forum.audioholics, gearslutz  etc.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 21
For some reason the links are dead.

In any case, given that you do games, music and movies, I would recommend you to upgrade your Audigy SE to a X-Fi Titanium HD, it is a significant difference, due to much higher quality DAC and components, especially on the analog outputs, and it will allow you to have as loud as output as you want with no sort of distortion whatsoever, and the de facto card to get if you do any sort of gaming. It's basically an audiophile card with actual game support.

Have you tried connecting your speakers to other systems to check the speakers performance regarding output levels?

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 21
While I agree with Roller *to an extent*, usually:

Headphones/Speakers > Amp > DAC > Source

^^ Each element here, in the order listed, will be able to bring out the qualities of the lesser element.
A good DAC will bring out the full quality of the source. You'll be able to distinguish bad recordings from good ones.
A good amp will bring out the full character of the dac, it won't elevate nor attenuate parts of the DAC's output.
A good headphone will represent what the amp outputs. I say representation because the headphone will add its own character to the sound.
The perceived difference gets amplified right to left.

Unless your speakers have the resolving quality, you won't be able to appreciate the subtlety of amps and dacs. So take it step by step.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
While I agree with Roller *to an extent*, usually:

Headphones/Speakers > Amp > DAC > Source

^^ Each element here, in the order listed, will be able to bring out the qualities of the lesser element.
A good DAC will bring out the full quality of the source. You'll be able to distinguish bad recordings from good ones.
A good amp will bring out the full character of the dac, it won't elevate nor attenuate parts of the DAC's output.
A good headphone will represent what the amp outputs. I say representation because the headphone will add its own character to the sound.
The perceived difference gets amplified right to left.

Unless your speakers have the resolving quality, you won't be able to appreciate the subtlety of amps and dacs. So take it step by step.

Indeed.

Since I couldn't access the links the OP posted, how performing are those speakers?

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
updated the link of the amp, it worked yesterday :frowning2:

i will read and try to understand your suggestions, ty

The speakers link is still returning a 404 error. The amp link woks, though.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 21
What's your budget? And do you see the upgrade as an interim step with some other component upgrade later? For example if you can spend $X now and then are willing to upgrade another component on down the road in six months or so, the suggestions might be different. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 21
Uh-oh. Here's a good sign that the speakers might need to be the first upgrade. Stated specs are: 50Hz...20Khz (-16dB). Usually, you want to see a variance of +/- 3db for that kind of frequency range. My guess (and just a guess) is that the variation is a steep bass roll off and you aren't getting much mid-bass out of them. Is that true? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back