What should I get-Shure E3,E2,Etymotic...
Jul 14, 2005 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

ILUVIPODS

100+ Head-Fier
I can't figure out what headphones to buy. I don't want to spend alot of money, but I want good ones that will last. These are the ones I am considering:

-Shure E2's/They are suppose to be good, and are cheaper
-Shure E3's/I think these are suppose to be alot better, but they are pretty expensive
-Etymotic ER6i-These are still alittle Expensive, but look pretty good, and they match my ipod
-Sony MDR-EX71sl's-You guys dont seen to like these, but they are only 33.00 on Amazon, and they match my ipod, but probably sound bad

I want headphones that block out sound, (wich they all do), and doesn't let sound out. I think the Etymotics look good, but not shure how the sound. I want the Shure E3s, and I know they sound good, but are expensive. Im not shure about the MDR-EX71SL's and the Shure E2's because of the price point. Here are the prices on amazon right now-

Shure E3's-119.00
Shure E2's-69.94
Ety ER6i's-104.49
Sony 71's-33.00

Help me out guys, wich should I buy....

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 42
WESTONE UM2
orphsmile.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVIPODS
II want the Shure E3s, and I know they sound good, but are expensive.

How do *you* know this without hearing it? The Shure is a very unique sounding earphone....and until you hear it, it's a love or hate it earphone. I personally MUCH prefer the ER6i, it sounds better all-around.

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 42
Out of all the phones you've described i'd probably go with the ER-6i, very warm sounding canalphone im sure it would fit your needs and price range.

Also to Elephant..it was a joke lighten up
icon10.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 42
Out of all the phones you listed (except the E2c) the best in my opinion is the shure E3. The bass is very high quality, and though still lacking in amount it has more than the ER6i. The midrange is just so damn lush and beautiful even in comparison to the much more expensive midrange of the ER4, the highs however are rolled off. Timbre and decay wize the ER6i is just bad. The sound of them is also thin and sibilant compared to the other phones you listed. The ER6i however are a little more detailed in the highs which some prefer. If you can equalize them (shure E3s), and decrase the mids, the sound is just much more musical and enjoyable IMO, while maintaining good detail and clarity.

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
If you can equalize them (shure E3s), and decrase the mids, the sound is just much more musical and enjoyable IMO, while maintaining good detail and clarity.

Since the OP has an iPod, I thought I would throw in this. I had the E3 and use iPod, and no amount of EQ could fix the problems sufficiently for me from an iPod. I don't think the E3 is a good match for an iPod at all, even amped.

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 42
Grab E2Cs right now, and when you save enough money, make the jump to E4Cs. Sounds logical enough, as E3s don't seem to warrant for the increased price over E2Cs, when you can pay a little bit more to get much better cans.

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
Grab E2Cs right now, and when you save enough money, make the jump to E4Cs. Sounds logical enough, as E3s don't seem to warrant for the increased price over E2Cs, when you can pay a little bit more to get much better cans.

Yeah, I'm also thinking about this in the future. I currently have the e2c's and they're a great little earphone, obviously not as good as the e4c's but good nonetheless for the price. Just gotta save up for those e4's!!!*diggin the black*

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #15 of 42
I too am in the same situation, but I recently had a pair of EX71SLs. I like the sound from them (I'm not an audiophile either, but I listen to a lot of music on a daily basis), and the only qualm I have about these canalphones is that I do not think they're well-made at all. Mine fell apart (sound went out in the left bud) after 2 months of use. If you read some reviews about the 71s you'll see similar stories -- right bud failing after 6 months, left bud failing after 8 months, etc etc.

I'm personally leaning toward the e2cs or the er6is, but the sharp md-33 is another alternative here that people like. I don't really see how the sound from the e2c would make you "hate it or love it." To non-audiophiles like ourselves, these upper level consumer canalphones like e2c/e3c/er6i/ex71 are all going to sound pretty good. If I were you I'd focus on other things like price to quality ratio, build quality, customer service, etc. I hear the Shure brand gives good customer service. I'd steer away from the EX71s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back