What should I get-Shure E3,E2,Etymotic...
Jul 15, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 42
Yeah. They sound infinitely better when there's no outside sound to muffle the ipod buds, and they sound double-infinitely better when there is.

Oh, and they're 95 with free shipping on buy.com. Not as good as it was a few months ago, but better than the price you have.

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVIPODS
Does anyone have them that can compare them to the stock ipod buds?

i compared my senn mx500s to the stock ipod buds. ipod buds = owned. the damn thing couldnt take the bass setting i was using on my archos recorder without severe distortion (the mx500s were fine with the setting). comparing the ER6i's with the mx500s again is no competition. the 500s do have a little more bass, but the isolation (read: can't hear your own footsteps
biggrin.gif
) and the amazing detail the ER6i's have make it a much better buy

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #20 of 42
I love the bass on the etys, it's very tight and detailed, and when properly amped, powerful. It's just not loud enough for a lot of people, but they EQ up very well. It's a ton better than the ipod earbud's bass, which is flabby and one-note.

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #21 of 42
If you are worried about base i would suggest the e2c's and then later on the e4c or e5c/ um2's. I feel that rock sounds great on the e2c's and am quite happy with them. My next step will wither be custom ultimate ears or e5c's o um2's.

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #22 of 42
If you listen to metal, don't go for the etys, they might sound a bit "dry" and lifeless for that purpose, acoustics and soft rock however sounds great.

Just to add, the bass on the Ety's is excellent. It's very impactful and "tight", you just need the proper songs and sources (and maybe equalizing) to make the bass sound its full potential.

Jul 17, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu
If you listen to metal, don't go for the etys, they might sound a bit "dry" and lifeless for that purpose, acoustics and soft rock however sounds great.

Just to add, the bass on the Ety's is excellent. It's very impactful and "tight", you just need the proper songs and sources (and maybe equalizing) to make the bass sound its full potential.

I use my ety 4S for metal, and I think it sounds awesome. Significantly better than the shure e2c's I owned, but thats to be expected.

However, I do think it's in the same ball park as the other phones I own (including the MS-pros, which are probably better for the task). Depends what you listen to maybe, on complex "wall of sound" tracks like devin townsend, the ety provides great reproduction, while the rolled off highs of the shure's make it muddy to me - just my opinion though.

Jul 18, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

I don't like how the shures have to have that cord goin over and behind your ear. Thats annoying to me....I like how the etys are just regular.

You don't have to have it over your ear. The pamphlet that comes with shures gives 3 ways to wear them and straight down is one of the ways.

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Last question,
You guys said the bass wasn't that good on the etys. Is the bass better better than the ipod stock buds? Thanks..

All those you've listed are better than the iPod stock buds. They're hated around here. I'd agree with the previous posts. Either get E3c's and enjoy or get E2's for now and save up for E4's.

I went ER6's then E3's then E4's & Superfi's - wasted a lot of money. You want to get the best you can afford the time obviously.

PS. The Etys (ER6's) are extremely detailed, small and comfortable. I still use them now and again. If you are not seeking warm bassy phones then these are great too.

ZT

Jul 18, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489
You don't have to have it over your ear. The pamphlet that comes with shures gives 3 ways to wear them and straight down is one of the ways.

Wow I feel Stupid...Maybe I should go with the E2s since they're cheaper...just gotta find the cheapest place to buy them,(probably amazon).
But if I can find cheap etys...I'd probably get those.
Only thing is the E2s dont mach the ipod.....O well.

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #30 of 42
One other option around that price range that no one else here has mentioned is the new Panasonic RP-HJE70. I got my set from www.jr.com and I think Audio Cubes has recently started carrying them as well. I can't compare them to the Shures or Etys but I can say that they are the best sounding earphone I have ever heard, and that is just with a few days of burn in. I have also found that I have to do surprisingly little EQing to get them to sound how I like, but this is with my MiniDisc unit and I can't say how well they would sound on an iPod. They still sound nice without any adjustment at all. I listen to just about nothing but rock and I love the way they sound.

I would like to mention that there is a fair amount of "microphonics" with these, but it's not really noticeable when you're listening to music.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Pa...o_Earbuds.html

Good luck with your decision.

-Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back