What should I get my girlfriend (hopefully soon to be fiancee) for a grad present?!
Apr 17, 2007 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

SoundGoon

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all. My girlfriend will be walking this May and I would like to get her something nice, however, I am in the process of having her engagement ring made, so I don't feel that getting her jewelery would be the right thing to get; she's just not the type that wears a lot.
Some background for a basis - she is graduating with her degree in History Education at the Secondary Level (she will be teaching kids from 6th-12th grade), is about 5'7", slender, sweet, and elegant. Not homely, but very pleasant and warm and pretty. Sorry if it sounds like I'm gushing or babbling.
Anyways, I can't really think of what to get her. I'm looking to spend around $150 max, and am open to almost anything for a graduation gift; I was thinking of maybe a nice watch, but I dunno. Thanks for your time and I appreciate any suggestions!
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 28
i would go practical like a cool cellphone with case if she has one that is old...
nice picture frame for her diploma, or a nice big cheesy class ring...

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say a book. The only universally appreciated gift.

Not among most kids. Good thing she's a teacher and not a kid.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 28
How about spending the night at a nice bed and breakfast out in the woods? Talk to the owners and get them to decorate the room for her, leave wildflowers on the bed, bottle of her favorite wine, stuff like that. Not a physical object, but she'll love the getaway and quiet weekend with you.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 28
i was gonna suggest stax sr001mk2, but that'll set you back more than $150...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about spending the night at a nice bed and breakfast out in the woods? Talk to the owners and get them to decorate the room for her, leave wildflowers on the bed, bottle of her favorite wine, stuff like that. Not a physical object, but she'll love the getaway and quiet weekend with you.

+1, i find that a well thought out and planned experience can have alot more meaning than "a thing" also more enjoyable, she might lose the watch, but she'll always remember that weekend that you took the time and thought to plan out. Make it all about her..

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 28
for a graduation gift give her a nice card.

in the card? two roundtrip tickets to her favorite place in the world.

spend the summer planning it together, whee!

when you get there, propose there.

nice and neat!

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for a graduation gift give her a nice card.

in the card? two roundtrip tickets to her favorite place in the world.

spend the summer planning it together, whee!

when you get there, propose there.

nice and neat!

It's a good plan no doubt. The problem is however that when her favorite place in the world is Thailand. I suppose that will cost slightly more than the $150. Pretty good diving there though. ( yeah, that's off topic I know)

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like a very nice idea to me! That is something she will be remembering long long time for sure. Maybe even propose there....? Donnuw if you have already figured out how and where to do that though. Looks pretty romantic to me...Whatever you decide, congrats with your girl and the plans you have and hope you will be / stay a very happy (married) couple !

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 28
I'd go with the suggestion to frame her degree. My wife has a Bachelors in French Language and Literature and a Bachelors in Education. Masters in Education is next on the list...but anyway, She had never framed any of her degrees. Mine has been framed since I got it so I went and framed hers as an anniversary gift and she loved it. It's a simple thing, but means a lot...plus it'll look nice on the wall. I went to the bookstore on campus and got school branded one...was roughly $120 cdn...

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Anyways, I can't really think of what to get her. I'm looking to spend around $150 max, and am open to almost anything for a graduation gift; I was thinking of maybe a nice watch, but I dunno. Thanks for your time and I appreciate any suggestions!
biggrin.gif

Dude, in all seriousness.
You want to go sentimental...especially if you're going to marry the girl!
Here's my idea(with links):

Leather-bound Journal...to write about her journey through life with you!

Then, go hit up the Pen-fi thread and find a nice writing untensil to compliment her new journal with the funds you have left over.

Oh yeah, write something nice on the first page, too!

Journal - $90
Pen - $60
Total - $150!

I got my girlfriend (now wife) one of these set ups for a gift and she absolutely loved it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back