What should I get for my next set of cans?
Jul 14, 2018 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

HoneysPoohBear

100+ Head-Fier
My main setup is the AKG K712 pros with a Shiit Stack running from the PS4 optical out. I use them mostly for gaming and watching TV. I also have a set on Sennheiser HD 598, Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80. I find the 598s have great mids but lack in imaging compared to the 712s. The 770 I barley listen too due to harsh trebels and fatigue.

Overall I like the 712 but would prefer a more exciting pair of cans that would pair nice with the Shiit stack. Something with a little more bass and mids like the Sennheiser but also comparable to the 712s imaging and clarity. Budget would be $300 or less.

Thanks for the input

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 31
If you want K712 level sound stage and imaging, but with much better and more impactful bass, and without recessed mids, you will probably have to spend more money in all honesty, either on a HiFiMan Sundara or a used HiFiMan HE-500.

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 31
If you want K712 level sound stage and imaging, but with much better and more impactful bass, and without recessed mids, you will probably have to spend more money in all honesty, either on a HiFiMan Sundara or a used HiFiMan HE-500.

Thanks for the suggestion. If I'm not Worried about soundstage and imaging then what would you recommend? have you ever tried the Philips Fidelio X1 or X2?

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 31
Thanks for the suggestion. If I'm not Worried about soundstage and imaging then what would you recommend? have you ever tried the Philips Fidelio X1 or X2?

Ah good point, forgot about the Fidelio headphones. I've never listened to those, but according to most they (especially the X2) actually do fit the bill.

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 31
HiFiMan HE-500.

Excellent headphone,but staging isnt that impressive. Im skeptical of the Magni 3's ability to drive the HE500s to their capabilities,but dont quote me on that.

have you ever tried the Philips Fidelio X1 or X2

I have the X1 and the K701. The AKG is more even across the sound spectrum and with neutral(light?)bass its staging and imaging are quite good.
The X1 is more exciting with big bass and wide staging as well. The mids arent the greatest(unlike the HE500) and big bass can creep over the details a bit,so if youre a hardcore FPSer it might be a step back in terms of enemy location vs. your AKG,but the immersion level of the X1 is much better than K701.

To be clear I think the HE500 is in another league vs the other two,but I never gamed with my pair before I sold it,and again Im not sure the Magni 3 has the ability to really push the 500s to their max,not to mention used 500s go for $400.00+ usually,which is above your budget.

I use my K701s for FPSers and my X1s for single player games,but I could happily use either for both and not feel im missing too much.

For films I think the X1 is much better than the K701.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 31

The Philips x2 will be a downgrade to the k712 its soundstage maybe wide but it has bad imaging. The imaging itself will be more blurry compared to your k712, also i've found there is no centre image just wide which kind of makes things a bit difficult in sound placement, also its soundstage sounds a bit more diffuse. During busy passage while playing online gaming with lots of gunfire and running around the x2 just simply gives up on imaging and throws everything onto the centre with no placement. The bass of the x2 is kind of bloated and mids are lean with the treble kind of wonky.

For competive use i've found the x2 to be terrible on trying to pick up footsteps & other sort of detail, i've even prefered my hd 650 much more even if it's soundstage is much smaller

Even if you are not worried about soundstage & imaging i think the x2 won't be a great long term investment.

Don't think you are going to get much better than the k712 at the price maybe invest in a different headphone amp though you might need to save up more.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 31
You should read about the Beyerdynamic Amiron (which is not under 300usd)
Or move to the Sennheiser HD650 (just a tad less expansive than the K712, but overall more midcentric and fuller sounding. Also slighly better in terms of microdetail/texture of sound)

Otherwise just find a relatively clean way to EQ your K712

Fidelios are fine, cinema-like sound on a luxurious looking object.
Just don't expect them to be as refined as headphones like K712 or HD650 in terms of sound quality.

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 31
You should read about the Beyerdynamic Amiron (which is not under 300usd)
Or move to the Sennheiser HD650 (just a tad less expansive than the K712, but overall more midcentric and fuller sounding. Also slighly better in terms of microdetail/texture of sound)

Otherwise just find a relatively clean way to EQ your K712

Fidelios are fine, cinema-like sound on a luxurious looking object.
Just don't expect them to be as refined as headphones like K712 or HD650 in terms of sound quality.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of going for a closed back headphone seeing I'm not going to really beat the K712. I like the DT 770 is just those trebles are so harsh after awhile. And with my PS4 + Shiit stack setup not sure if there's an easy way to EQ. I just want something I can put on from time to time that has that fun factor that will go good with single player games and movies.

Jul 15, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 31
Have you tried modding the headphones you already have? A treble filter for the 770 or a bass mod for the AKG?

Jul 15, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 31
I think there is a 7 series bass mod in here...and the treble mod is kind of universal...basically put filters between the drivers and your ears within the cups...i think there is something in here about it too...if not, let me know and I'll track one down for you...you just need to experiment with various foam, cloth, paper etc until you find a filter that brings the treble down to your tastes...either way. lots of good ideas in this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...l-your-full-sized-headphone-mods-here.867426/

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 31
Also, send me the 4XX...it will really improve the sound of your other headphones...believe me.

Jul 15, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 31

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back