What should I get for my next set of cans?
Jul 15, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 31
lol...I think you have too many good headphones so it is causing confusion...if you send me the 4xx, I will also have some good headphones and you will not have so much confusion...
mostly I just want some 4xx and I can't really justify spending the $170 to get some right now...

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #18 of 31
lol...I think you have too many good headphones so it is causing confusion...if you send me the 4xx, I will also have some good headphones and you will not have so much confusion...
mostly I just want some 4xx and I can't really justify spending the $170 to get some right now...

LOL I think you are getting me confused with someone else. Headphones I own are AKG K712, DT 770 pro 80, Sennheiser 598, Bose QC25, and Audio-Technica ATH AD700.

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #19 of 31
LOL I think you are getting me confused with someone else. Headphones I own are AKG K712, DT 770 pro 80, Sennheiser 598, Bose QC25, and Audio-Technica ATH AD700.
I'm reading 8 threads at once. Also...it's my birthday (almost) and I have been drinking like it's my birthday.
I just offered to buy a set of Fostex T20rp off a Russian Headfier...and I really hope he accepts my offer...of course I could entirely just be offering to give some Russian guy my money and never get a working set of Fostex...so forgive me for mixing you up with another headphone lunatic. :)

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #20 of 31
Excellent headphone,but staging isnt that impressive. Im skeptical of the Magni 3's ability to drive the HE500s to their capabilities,but dont quote me on that.

I have the X1 and the K701. The AKG is more even across the sound spectrum and with neutral(light?)bass its staging and imaging are quite good.
The X1 is more exciting with big bass and wide staging as well. The mids arent the greatest(unlike the HE500) and big bass can creep over the details a bit,so if youre a hardcore FPSer it might be a step back in terms of enemy location vs. your AKG,but the immersion level of the X1 is much better than K701.

To be clear I think the HE500 is in another league vs the other two,but I never gamed with my pair before I sold it,and again Im not sure the Magni 3 has the ability to really push the 500s to their max,not to mention used 500s go for $400.00+ usually,which is above your budget.

I use my K701s for FPSers and my X1s for single player games,but I could happily use either for both and not feel im missing too much.

For films I think the X1 is much better than the K701.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think it would be a better investment to go with an X1 or X2 OR should I go with a tube amp over the Magni 3 I currently have powering the K712?

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #21 of 31
Let me ask you a question. Do you think it would be a better investment to go with an X1 or X2 OR should I go with a tube amp over the Magni 3 I currently have powering the K712?

Im a big fan of tube amps,but they tend to do better with high impedance headphones(250 ohms and higher),which the K712s are not. If you owned an HD650/6xx Id say grab a tube amp,but for what you currently have,stick with solid state.

I think the X1/X2 is a very good headphone for gaming and films. Your desire to add something with a wide stage and +bass describes the X1/X2 to a tee.

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #22 of 31
Im a big fan of tube amps,but they tend to do better with high impedance headphones(250 ohms and higher),which the K712s are not. If you owned an HD650/6xx Id say grab a tube amp,but for what you currently have,stick with solid state.

I think the X1/X2 is a very good headphone for gaming and films. Your desire to add something with a wide stage and +bass describes the X1/X2 to a tee.

I know the x1/x2 do not require an amp but will the benefit from the Magni 3? Also have you ever tried the X2? I really like the looks of the X1 and hear they have a little more bass compared to the X2. Also worry about changing the ear pads because they are glued in. I found a pair of X2s for pretty cheap however pads are worn and they are the glued in version.

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #23 of 31
Pretty much every headphone benefits from an amp,including the X1/X2.
I have read that the glued pads of the X2 was a mfg mistake and some folks apparently just remove them anyways. Dont quote me on that though.
If youre having trouble finding an X1,drop me a PM. I might be inclined to sell you my pair as I have two of them.

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #24 of 31
Just wanted to post an update. I got the Little Dot 1+ with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes. Using the magni 3 to compare I can say that the LD is very good in giving more soundstage and imagining. The magni 3 I think gives more details but is a bright unit. The Little Dot rolls the treble peaks, slight bass improvement, and is a little warmer sounding. I am very happy with how this pairs with the K712s. So much so that I think the magni is going up for sale.

However, I do think I may go for a used pair of HD650s and a bottlehead crack with speedball. I hear a lot of good reviews from it.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #25 of 31
Just wanted to post an update. I got the Little Dot 1+ with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes. Using the magni 3 to compare I can say that the LD is very good in giving more soundstage and imagining. The magni 3 I think gives more details but is a bright unit. The Little Dot rolls the treble peaks, slight bass improvement, and is a little warmer sounding. I am very happy with how this pairs with the K712s. So much so that I think the magni is going up for sale.

However, I do think I may go for a used pair of HD650s and a bottlehead crack with speedball. I hear a lot of good reviews from it.
Can recommend the HD650s. I owned both k712 and HD650, and I still have my HD650s.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #26 of 31
Is there something like the X2 but better? The 6xx sounds like Jaws ate up most of the legs. The 6xx is good but not deep, and the X3 wasn't really improved by adding a Magni 3.

TR-X00? Aeon Flow?

Is there an IEM that would offer better highs, FH5 or E5000 maybe? Liked the GR07 but it was too bright, but like the E2000 and Carbo Tenores. I'm afraid to get burned by a big purchase but tired of skating the mostly lo-end.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #27 of 31
Fostex th-x00 Mahogany has a nice low bass with punch, in your face. However I find Fidelio X2s to be more comfortable after 2 to 3 hours of use and larger sound stage. Also, Magni 3 is no where near as good as the Massdrop CTH.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #28 of 31
I might be in the minority, but I hate the hd650 with a passion. I bought it twice hoping on the second time that with a much better and dac I would hear what other people are hearing. I think it's ok for first timers, but I would not consider them end game headphones at all.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #29 of 31
Fostex th-x00 Mahogany has a nice low bass with punch, in your face. However I find Fidelio X2s to be more comfortable after 2 to 3 hours of use and larger sound stage. Also, Magni 3 is no where near as good as the Massdrop CTH.
Thanks. Will I really get better performance from the X2 with like Massdrop Liquid Carbon X + SDAC (I'm afraid I'd break of the tube on the CTH)?

I'd like noticbly better highs and tighter lows than the X2, would a th-x00 Mahogany do that? I don't listen more than 2-3 hours anyway.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #30 of 31
I might be in the minority, but I hate the hd650 with a passion. I bought it twice hoping on the second time that with a much better and dac I would hear what other people are hearing. I think it's ok for first timers, but I would not consider them end game headphones at all.
Yeah the 6xx clamp heavy and I have a small head. I like them fine, except for the lack of sub-bass, at least through the X3 DAC and Magni 3. I doubt that better amps will help either the 6xx or X2 with my issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back