What should I expect with Grado SR80i's
Apr 21, 2014 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

2001Audiophile

New Head-Fier
I'm fairly new to being an audiophile, and I'm looking forward to doing so.

I'm gonna get a pair of Grado SR-80i's. I listen to a lot of metal and I'm on a tight budget.
I don't have any amps, I mainly use my phone for music, and sometimes my laptop.
I've used Beats (aaaand, they suck.) I thought I would get a premium product, but they sounded like crap.
Would my phone be able to handle the Grados just fine?
How about my laptop? It sounds okay'ish on the laptop, but better on my phone.

What other headphones would you recommend for $100?
Would the Grados be worth using on my phone? (I use an iPhone 5)

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 13
It doesn't need an amp to sound good, but like everything will sound a better amped.

Pros: colored treble which makes guitar sound great and cymbals sound good, relatively clear

Cons: no isolation, a lot of leakage, uncomfortable headband that you can replace, bass roll off, small soundstage

It's my second favorite for metal after 225i, so I don't recommend something else.

I absolutely recommend buying an aftermarket headband.

You might also like L-cushions. I think they sound better with metal, but I find them uncomfortable so not for me. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 13
It doesn't need an amp to sound good, but like everything will sound a better amped.

Pros: colored treble which makes guitar sound great and cymbals sound good, relatively clear

Cons: no isolation, a lot of leakage, uncomfortable headband that you can replace, bass roll off, small soundstage

It's my second favorite for metal after 225i, so I don't recommend something else.

I absolutely recommend buying an aftermarket headband.

You might also like L-cushions. I think they sound better with metal, but I find them uncomfortable so not for me. 

I see. I have a relatively small head. I am a 12 year old kid so, would the comfort affect me?

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 13
I love my Grados. At first the headband and the earpads were uncomfortable. The earpads were kind of scratchy. But after a month of use, they've softened up and no longer bother me. If you like a bass heavy sound, look for something other than the Grados.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 13
I see. I have a relatively small head. I am a 12 year old kid so, would the comfort affect me?

The comfort problem isn't based on size. The headband is a thin strip of metal covered by a removable thin piece of plastic. The metal hurts your head because the plastic is thin. I bought a leather one from Turbulent Labs. But you can find a cheaper alternative. I saw something made of pleather that snaps on and would probably work fine.

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 13
The 80's are a great intro into this crazy hobby.  Very punchy with lots of PRaT ( pace, rhythm and attack ) , great for Rock and so on.  Quite detailed and offer a great value still in the world of headphone audio.

Warning however this may be your "gateway" into the world of higher end headphones.  Give them some time to burn in and enjoy. 

Take good care of them.  Almost forgot,  they should play nice with the iphone.

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm fairly new to being an audiophile, and I'm looking forward to doing so.

I'm gonna get a pair of Grado SR-80i's. I listen to a lot of metal and I'm on a tight budget.
I don't have any amps, I mainly use my phone for music, and sometimes my laptop.
I've used Beats (aaaand, they suck.) I thought I would get a premium product, but they sounded like crap.
Would my phone be able to handle the Grados just fine?
How about my laptop? It sounds okay'ish on the laptop, but better on my phone.

What other headphones would you recommend for $100?
Would the Grados be worth using on my phone? (I use an iPhone 5)

Thanks.

Get the SR80i......great headphones....don't worry about the headband....it was fine for me....might be fine for you also......great headphones for $99

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 13
Great cans.
The 60/80i sound great straight out of my macbook pro and iPhone.
I have not had any problems with the headband on my SR60i, and I shave my head bald.
You might have issues with the foam bowl pads.  If your ears are too small to properly support the foam bowl edge, your ear may end up resting on the cheese cloth.  I imagine that would be a little uncomfortable.  You might want to consider the 60i instead with its comfy pads.

Good Luck!!

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 13
  Great cans.
I have not had any problems with the headband on my SR60i, and I shave my head bald.
You might have issues with the foam bowl pads.  If your ears are too small to properly support the foam bowl edge, your ear may end up resting on the cheese cloth.  I imagine that would be a little uncomfortable.  You might want to consider the 60i instead with its comfy pads.

Good Luck!!

Just a footnote: this won't be a problem because Grado stopped selling 80i with L-cushions; they now sell it with S-cushions instead. (Some who have small ears actually prefer L-cushions more than other owners with big ears because it's more circumaural.)

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 13
  Great cans.

Good Luck!!

Hey kramer5150,

Seems like its been a while since seeing you on HF.  Welcome back if that's the case
beerchug.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 13

Hey kramer5150,

Seems like its been a while since seeing you on HF.  Welcome back if that's the case
beerchug.gif

Yeah getting back into it here and there... still enjoying the tunes!!  As you can see I'm a bit out-dated on my Grado-fi.

Most recent purchase was an SR60i, great cans!!  This is the third time owning the 60 model...  this ones a keeper though.  Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 13
  Yeah getting back into it here and there... still enjoying the tunes!!  As you can see I'm a bit out-dated on my Grado-fi.

Most recent purchase was an SR60i, great cans!!  This is the third time owning the 60 model...  this ones a keeper though.  Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Anytime .... Probably lots to catch up on,  the wallet can only get lighter .... Cheers

PS: The "Kramer mod" is still mentioned a fair amount and holding its own.

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 13
Can't speak for the SR80, but I have the SR60 and they are one of the most fun to listen to headphones I've used. (The SR60 and SR80 are very similar in sound, so I read).

Had no issues with the headband. Beyerdynamic sells a nice replacement headband for their DT880 and similar that will fit the Grado if you want that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back