What should I expect from an Ibasso T3D ?
Apr 18, 2011 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bendead

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody

I just order a T3D today, And while waiting for it, I did a small test.

I connected my Nano 6G by LOD "RCA" to my Onkyo TX-SR875 and my Westone 3 on the headphone out, with the pure audio mode activated.

The result, day and night ! Clear voices, undistorted and really deep bass, crisp tremble and an overall sense of clarity. Even my old peppermint penguin amp is very far from it

So should I have the same SQ with the T3D ?

Ben

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 9
I tried the infamous, Boston Acoustics Bass Test :

- 6G + W3 = Distortion, Distortion, and guess what, Distortion

- 6G plug penguin, keep crap

- 6G + PepperMin + W3 = small distortion, but no but kicker

- 6G + LOD + SR875 + W3 = Close to real audio.

Ben

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Umm, hoping that a $130 portable amp will sound as good as a $1,000 home stereo is overly ambitious. The iBasso T3D will sound a bit cleaner and "drier" than your Penguin CMoy, but not by miles -- but for on the go, it will serve you fine.

To get something with the power and sound improvement of the Onkyo, you will probably have to look at Ray Samuals, other upper- line portable amps.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Umm, hoping that a $130 portable amp will sound as good as a $1,000 home stereo is overly ambitious.

It is a bit ambitious
etysmile.gif

But if you remove, the 7x200 watts, the video processing unit, the plugs, power supply and casing, the components for headphone out shouldn't cost too much.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 9
I have the T3 (same as T3D minus digital volume control) - good with IEMs but thats about it, IMO. HeadphoneAddict, from memory, was a huge fan of the littlest iBasso. End of the day, big amps sound bigger, and dont believe everything you read about the headphone out on speaker amps being 'crap' : its another Head-Fi furphy that seems to get handed from one generation to the next here. I had a Yamaha AV receiver where the headphone out was truly abysmal, but I've also had entry-level speaker amps from Marantz and CA which sound really good from the headphone socket. Sadly, that experience wasnt repeated when I auditioned some NAD kit a couple of years back, but others have told me that they have had good results with NAD speaker amps - luck of the draw, I'm afraid.

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Hi guys,

I just received my T3D from Ibasso and it does what I expected, amplify. But even more...

The problem with my Westone 3 is, I can hear a decrease in bass and an increase in trembles, the opposite of what I was hopping for. This also make me tired very quickly. I will let it burn for a few dozen hours to see some changes.

So while it can be good for home use, it quintuple the size of my Nano 6G on watch mount with all the cables, making my setup close to my Classic 5G.

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Hi guys,

I just received my T3D from Ibasso and it does what I expected, amplify. But even more...

The problem with my Westone 3 is, I can hear a decrease in bass and an increase in trembles, the opposite of what I was hopping for. This also make me tired very quickly. I will let it burn for a few dozen hours to see some changes.

So while it can be good for home use, it quintuple the size of my Nano 6G on watch mount with all the cables, making my setup close to my Classic 5G.

'Trembles' ? Friend, you have problems beyond finding an amp for your IEMs :)

Seriously, dont be too alarmed by what your brain is telling you in the first two weeks with your new amp - just try to relax and get a few hours on the iBasso before you write it off. On your final point, I mate my 6G Nano with my D4 in a camera case and its perfect - almost built for it. Trying to tether them together in something like the Solo stack just wont work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back