What should I do for Etymotics?
Sep 14, 2010 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

legodt

100+ Head-Fier
People seem to be loving the Etymotics IEMs, but I want to know where they stand lined up next to other IEMs in their respective price ranges. I may jump on the 6i train, but others seem to love hf5 and the ER4. How well do each of these IEMs stack up against their price range competition?

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Sep 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Each of the Etymotic models are designed to be "Best in Class" in terms of response accuracy, noise isolation, comfort, and build quality.  The mc-series has tow models that are best in class under $99 USD, the HF series has three models form $150 to $180 that are best in class with control and communication capability added.  The Micro Pro series ER-4 is designed to be the world's most accurate earphone experience.  All of them come with a 2 year warranty and a $100 custom fit ear model upgrade option.  Give them a look and shop around for the best deal.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm actually curious as to what is considered to be the performance difference between the MC3's and the HF3's, considering that they have a similar accuracy score yet one is almost twice the price. While balanced armatures are more expensive to produce, in this case it seems they are meant to have similar quality of sound? 

I'm curious because I just recently got the MC3's, and I'm impressed enough to consider getting the HF3's and getting the custom-fit tips.

I wish ety made a ER-4P model with a mic : )

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 9
I think the MC5 is best compared to the RE0 in its price range, and I wrote a comparative review (linked in my signature.)

I really can say that the combination of isolation and build quality is really fantastic in its price range. I gave them to my friends to listen (a bit icky, considering the deep insertion tips hehe) and they were pretty amazed at just how darn clear everything was. : )

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 9
I say start with the HF5 or with the ER-4P.  I have the HF5 and they are very accurate, balanced speed they have it all.    or you can get the pricier ER-4P (s) they both are great to start with.
the ER-4 should be slightly more "flat" sounding with tiny bit less bass and maybe more energy in the highs.     but the HF5 are in no way lacking in treble...they have gorgeos treble and mids and the treble is crispy and well extended,also the bass.  the HF5 are very slightly warmer than the ER series.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I say start with the HF5 or with the ER-4P.  I have the HF5 and they are very accurate, balanced speed they have it all.    or you can get the pricier ER-4P (s) they both are great to start with.
the ER-4 should be slightly more "flat" sounding with tiny bit less bass and maybe more energy in the highs.     but the HF5 are in no way lacking in treble...they have gorgeos treble and mids and the treble is crispy and well extended,also the bass.  the HF5 are very slightly warmer than the ER series.

Thank you so much for the insight, that actually cleared a good amount of confusion up. Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back