What should I buy next? SR-009?
Feb 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #121 of 274
Quote:
It is not the German AvantGarde Trio.

It is the Danish Acapella Triolon Excalibur.

Handmade in Germany.

If I were to consider the SR009 and appropriate amplifier, I would also consider a source component that can deliver in the same league. I think a good example is David Mahler's system. The source will cost you many times the SR009/amp. If you were to consider vinyl, even more.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #122 of 274
"I myself am not putting a number on it - I am saying if people feel the HD800 is very close to the 009's performance but the 009 is just a bit better, people would still buy the 009 because: 1) Enthusiasts are OCD and must have the absolute best, often no matter what the cost, even if its eking out minute differences. 2) The 009 is more luxurious, both in build and price/perception - so even if there were no difference those interested in the "best" would have bought. So if it were true (taken for granted in this case) that an HD800 were "90% of an 009", it would not be true that 'nobody' would have a 009." ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I've been in the high end industry for 3 decades and the above response, a few pages back,very clearly summarizes the situation. From this thread I'm gathering the 009s are to some degree better than the HD800s in most folks' opinion. Now, just how much better is impossible for anyone to judge without hearing them for themselves. I'm buying both, maybe I'll report, but that's just another datapoint from someone you don't know, so you just will have to listen for yourself. Part of the human condition, espeically for the subset of humans who check out this high end forum, is to wonder about the next "better thing" Let's remember to enjoy the music with what we have and keep the bulk of the focus on that!

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #123 of 274
No contest, speakers. Period. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #124 of 274
Quote:

Handmade in Germany.

If I were to consider the SR009 and appropriate amplifier, I would also consider a source component that can deliver in the same league. I think a good example is David Mahler's system. The source will cost you many times the SR009/amp. If you were to consider vinyl, even more.

You're right, made in Germany, never realized that.  The point was they were different companies.

While top-flight MSB would be great for someone with the deep pockets who doesn't mind the ridiculous charges for their upgrades/add-ons, one shouldn't feel it a prerequisite for a Stax system or be dissuaded from a 009 system if they can't afford it.  There are plenty of cheaper DACs that are very transparent.  Vinyl is a different rabbit hole altogether.

At this point I have auditioned or owned over 15 USB-capable DACs from the 1K-16K price range (really trying to stay away from anything pricier due to the speed at which the market changes), and transparency and detail were not even close to linear based on price.  The PWD (2K street) and NAD DACs perform way past their price point for example, while some other products (Lampy LVL 5, Weiss 202) seriously underperformed based on price.  One shouldn't feel the need to spend "many times" on source - a NAD->BHSE->009 rig would (and has) given me great pleasure without really feeling I'm "missing out."

I think the ratio that some suggest for source/headphones/amp where source is so high either came at a point where many were using vinyl (between all the components involved you can end up spending a pretty penny) or at a point when headphone gear was cheap (HD650+melos etc) and computer DACs were in their infancy.  

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #125 of 274
I'm mostly vinyl now (well right now, all vinyl) but when I get a new digital source I'm seriously considering the Jkenny DAC as I've heard from a few trusted ears that it _destroys_ some of the DACs they used to own costing many, many time the Jkenny's price.

Price has (almost) nothing to do with performance. I bet it'd sound great with an 009 rig.

That being said my favorite digital source I've heard was the Resolution Cantata which can be had around 4k.

Edit: But I still think a well thought out vinyl rig blows away the digital front ends I've heard. That's why I have a TT now.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #127 of 274
For DAC components I was thinking discrete. dCS, MSB, EMM labs, MPS that league to couple with finest quality headphone systems. Moving away from off the shelf chip based DACs. I feel it's a matter of sensible quality matching. 

ADD: The finest quality headphones are relatively cheap.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #128 of 274
I've never seen a new Cantata (new 24/192 boards, Pont Neuf) in decent condition hit 4K.  The cheapest I've ever seen one was what I ended up selling mine for.  Definitely a top tier digital source.

I saw one with everything on the gon for 4.3 recently. I couldn't care less about the bridge thingy. :)

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #130 of 274
i cannot stressed enough that in the case of bhse+009, for the source its all about synergy. I use neko d100 mk2 and very very happy with it. I recently auditioned a calyx femto and sorry to say, albeit its a great dac, it doesnt synergize with the setup. And this a 6-7k street price dac. And my lowly neko is only <1.5k.

What I could want from my neko now is more soundstage, bit more of separation and a moar gain
evil_smiley.gif
If I can find dac with these characteristic , I maybe interested to upgrade. And with such a delicate system, upgrading without an audition is pretty much a wallet suicide.

Now Calyx Femto + BHSE + 007, this maybe a different story though.......

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #131 of 274
My BHSE is still on the construction table, but I will be using vinyl and my AudioNoteKits DAC 4.1 for sources.  The NOS, tubed output, DAC should be the right shade of musical and laid back for the BHSE/009 combo.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #132 of 274
Quote:
My BHSE is still on the construction table, but I will be using vinyl and my AudioNoteKits DAC 4.1 for sources.  The NOS, tubed output, DAC should be the right shade of musical and laid back for the BHSE/009 combo.

NIce. Very nice. I would like something like that. Is your vinyl system in the same league as the AudioNote DAC?

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #133 of 274
Moderately - VPI Scout with Benz Micro cart + Eddie Current Phono Amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back