What should I buy first? Headphone, DAC or AMP
Jul 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

aroldan

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.

I plan to spend on a upgrade of my desktop rig. Today I have a pair of Sennheiser HD595 cans amped with an AUNE USB/DAC modded with a couple of LM[size=small]4562NA opamps and custom PSU. I have a budget of no more than USD$300 and I'd love to get a used pair of Sennheiser HD6xx, a new DAC (Musiland or Hiface) or another amp. What should I invest first in?[/size]

Thank you!

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 16
well if i may suggest, why not go with used headphones so that you can have a variety of phones to listen to 
regular_smile .gif

changing the dac and amp wouldn't change the sound that much, or add as much variety as another headphone. at least you can still use your old gear and just swap the headphones while waiting for funds to buy a new amp or dac 
smile.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 16
Thank you for the quick answer! But, upgrading from HD595 to HD6xx would really improve, not only change, my sound experience? My concern is that I live in Colombia and there is not hi-end equipment stores to visit and really hear differences among cans.

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 16
I've owned the Senn HD650 and it is quite amp dependent to reach it's full potential. To me, if you want to stay within the Senn family then the HD650 might not be the place to upgrade unless an amp upgrade went with it. I was quite underwhelmed with the HD650 when it wasn't juiced properly.

I can't comment on the HD600 though.

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 16
A recabled pair of 600s would give you an upgrade. Then an amp, dac last. Expect to spend twice as much each for a good amp and dac.

I had a starter digital rig (laptop&dac) so I started with an amp that can run a variety of headphones. I can try different headphones without handicapping them. A dac will come when some standards are set for I2S/USB communication protocol. Too many proprietary designs.

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Thank you for the quick answer! But, upgrading from HD595 to HD6xx would really improve, not only change, my sound experience? My concern is that I live in Colombia and there is not hi-end equipment stores to visit and really hear differences among cans.

Yes but to reitterate what others have said; when you start getting cans in the upper tier you are going to need an amp to properly drive them. If not then They headphones are going to be underpreforming and won't sound half as good as they can. 

If would say that if you're going to get some high end cans like these, you need to save up to get a good amp as well at the same time. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 16
Really need to dig into what your goal is here.  What about your current rig would you like to improve on?

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 16
Well, I mostly listen to classical music ripped in FLAC. I therefore look for great soundstage, a deeper level of detail (I really love the little details of classical music) but not too much bright. Well, said that, the AKG 701 could be another option...

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 16
Headphones are always the surest bet for sound differences. But it's hard to define 'improve' - there is a tendacy to classfy a change in FR as merely a sidegrade but no, some FRs can definately be better by being more neutral or else more suitable for your tastes. Or it could be an improvement in soundstage or speed or whatever, but FR plays a huge role nevertheless.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroldan  
" Well, I mostly listen to classical music ripped in FLAC. I therefore look for great soundstage, a deeper level of detail (I really love the little details of classical music) but not too much bright. Well, said that, the AKG 701 could be another option..."

That's another headphone that needs a desktop amp.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 16
Thank you all. As I plan to upgrade my amp and DAC in a given moment, I'll decided to go with Sennheiser HD650 that can scale up with equipment upgrades.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
You could try some Audio Technicas, some AD2000 perhaps.

There's no way he'll be able to find the AD2000 within his price range but that would certainly be a less amp dependent option. I'd suggest saving up/putting aside a little more money. $300 is a little tough to upgrade a headphone and amp/dac, especially coming from the hd595. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #15 of 16
I keep forgetting about the AD2000's price range, though around here there's still a few AD1000RPM that'd be close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back