What should be your Amp / Tube cost ratio?
Jun 11, 2008 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

papomaster

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all!

How much should you spend on tubes for a given amplifier to maximize its performance/price ratio?
For example, if a 600$ amp with 80$ tubes works as well as a 1000$ amp with 10$ tubes, we can honestly say the second amp hasn't been cost-effectively upgraded.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 12
I simply don't look at it that way. With a NOS tube purchase I'm usually going for something like a warmer tone, more clarity, wider soundstage, etc. I do the research on the net, and come up with a few options. One tube will give me the warmth I want at $40, another may add a wider soundstage, but now we're talking $100, and then there's the big bad daddy tube; which you can only find in secret back alley hidey holes with the creaking bones of the undead behind every turn....ok I may be exaggerating some for effect you know
wink.gif
...now where was I, oh yeah, the tube that gives you everything, for say $300.

For me this comes down to completeing the build on your amplifier. When purchasing it you may have had black gate caps put in, you upgraded this or that part on the unit, up to your budgeted amount for the purchase. The vacuum tube is the final "part" for a circuit that is in your amp. So how much should you spend on the completion of that circuit...how much do you want that added warmth, the increased clarity, the wider soundstage...only you can put a price tag on that.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 12
This is even harder to judge and state than the rule of thumb for headphone/source/amp price ratios.

I have used tube-sets costing as little as $15 and as much as $300 in my various SP amps, and really all have their merits.

Because of tube & amp interactions, there are ABSOLUTELY cases where the less expensive tubes can outperform more expensive ones. As an example: 6BL7's are almost all less expensive than 6sn7's, but I only prefer the 6sn7 with a couple headphones in my supra.

While there are tubes that are more expensive because they are truly exceptional, there are also exceptionally expensive tubes that may be exactly what you are not in the mood for today or a generally poor match for your headphones.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 12
Doesn't matter how much they cost, it's how they perform in the certain amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Take the super expensive Mullard and Telefunken 12AU7 tubes; they sound terrible in the SOHA but the $3 GE 5963 sounds AWESOME!

As a general rule of only minor Head-Fi induced insanity, I wouldn't spend $200 on tubes for a $300 amp unless I'm replacing all of the other parts and simply maxing out the design. I would much rather buy (well, for me it's build), a nicer design using good parts.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 12
I agree it is very subjective. However, i don't think the tubes should cost more than the amp. My current setup is as follows:

Amp - $600
Tubes (currently used) - $130

However, depending on the amp, and the number of tubes it employs, YRMV.

mike

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 12
I don't like putting price ratios on anything.

My rule of thumb is to start with the least expensive "good" tube in the circuit. What I mean by good is a tube that doesn't have a bad rep for early failures or other problems. There are some repros that aren't so great. But if they're reliable, I give them a shot. If it sounds good, I'm done until retubing.

Some people are compelled to tube roll, but the circuit design means a lot more to the sound than tubes do. Yes, various tubes do make a difference (and I've heard it) but I'd rather listen to music than rotate through tubes, carefully checking for minute changes in sound. I want to spin a disc and enjoy it. I've found that pretty much every "good" tube lets me do that.

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 12
Supply and demand and realize that a tube is a circuit and can not really be looked at as an add on. I could build an amp for 25 dollars that uses tubes that cost 800 or 1600. The tubes are part of the cost and they are the circuit I chose. Ok, that may be extreme but tubes do offer you a choice. Tubes are fun, that is why I have a few thousand in storage. What the hell am I doing with all those tubes? Sorry, I have to go take my pills now. . . . .

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 12
Sonic bliss..... For some this comes cheap and others it takes a little more expensive tubes. The great part is that you can roll them to your taste, something not available with SS gear...

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm also not sure there is a really useful guideline here, but I will tell you this - if you really get into tube amps, you may find that the value of your tube COLLECTION is much greater than the value of your amp before very long
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back