What PSU to buy..
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #46 of 93
having second thoughts, you do care about 12V ripple for overclocking and soundcards that carry a molex...but if your soundcard is PCI it will only use 3.3/5V AFAIK?

makes me wonder about how they feed op-amps on all these Claro Halo/Prodigy/Auzentech soundcards....even PCI-E cannot provide 12V I think?!
redface.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #47 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bigger the fan the quieter it runs. BTW you can buy a PSU that is rated higher than you need and it will run at what is needed...not at what it's rated.

and it will generally run more efficient and FOR SURE quiter... i got a thermaltake 700watt and it's running my e8400 OC'd @ 3.6ghz... 3 hard drives, a gtx280 (monster gpu) 4 sticks of ram, loads of led lights (not much power though) a creative sound card and about 10 high powered fans... and it can still take more... as long as you don't get a cheapo psu like a rosewill or aspire and spend a few more bucks and get a Thermaltake... Seasonic... PPC... Antec... or Corsair you will be good to go if you want efficience look for one that's 80+ rated which is 80% effiency or better the have bronze, silver, and gold ratings i do believe

here is one hell of a review roundup.. it will do you well in all your questions

Power Supply Roundup: Part II : Our Second Round Of Mainstream PSUs - Review Tom's Hardware

this website is well trusted and offers an IMMENSE amount of data for your brain to absorb. CIAO!

beyersmile.png

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #48 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
having second thoughts, you do care about 12V ripple for overclocking and soundcards that carry a molex...but if your soundcard is PCI it will only use 3.3/5V AFAIK?

makes me wonder about how they feed op-amps on all these Claro Halo/Prodigy/Auzentech soundcards....even PCI-E cannot provide 12V I think?!
redface.gif

According to the diagram on page 283 of PCI Architecture, 3rd edition by Mindshare, Inc, 12V is on pin 2 of the PCI card connection.

I expect that 12V would be used for the analog circuitry on most PCI soundcards.

Bill

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #50 of 93
good point, I was also looking for the pinout...but depending on their requirements, they have different notches(like AGP) : File:pCI Keying.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get spdif, then bits are bits.

oh please, not that "digital is made of 1 and 0, mistakes can't happen" again
festen.gif

S/PDIF is VERY prone to jitter errors, and considered to be "lossy" by some ppl because of that...a bit like UDP against TCP
redface.gif

Digital Audio Transmission Error Experiments

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #51 of 93
Quote:

having second thoughts, you do care about 12V ripple for overclocking and soundcards

speaking of overclocking, I once overclocked my ethernet card.

I had the fastest 110megabitpersecond ethernet card out there.

built-in encyption, too. as long as it talked to another overclocked fastether card, things were nice and private.

(lol)

sorry. carry on.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #52 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Corsair 620HX, no problems. It is very quiet as well. If the newer models are as good as the one I have, they are highly recommended.

x2. If you don't need as much power, then go for the 520HX.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #53 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
speaking of overclocking, I once overclocked my ethernet card.

I had the fastest 110megabitpersecond ethernet card out there.

built-in encyption, too. as long as it talked to another overclocked fastether card, things were nice and private.

(lol)

sorry. carry on.

Lets not forget about the Killer NIC M1 ! It's clocked at 400MHz. This Linux running beauty might hate any nasty ripples.
wink_face.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #54 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets not forget about the Killer NIC M1 ! It's clocked at 400MHz. This Linux running beauty might hate any nasty ripples.
wink_face.gif

Too bad it's mostly gimmick.
frown.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #55 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, after 4 years of service, my Antec phantom 500, is causing PC to restart,
and it took a while to find it was his fault,
I start to look at the review sites, but it seems that every good branded PSU is good to go, so I thought to ask you guys, what do you recommend, any bad experience with any brand?
I am looking for a low wattage PSU, around 400W, dont care that much of efficiency, as i want stable voltages, and of course silence,
it would supply my Tyan board, a double core AMD, the heavily modded EMU1212, 1 500Gb hard disc, and a small Ati card,
I was thinking of Corsair CX400W, since its even cheap, do you think its better single 12v rail or multiple?

have you made a decision on what psu you wanted? because it seems we are getting a little off topic... if you want you can go ahead and pm me and i can help this get resolved.... i live out in the country and my power flickers ALL THE TIME all i have is a half way decent belkin surge protector and this thermaltake 700 watt power supply and i haven't fried anything in 3 years... and my electricity is VERY unpredictable so with all the voltage ripple crap i really wouldn't worry about it at all. if you have any questions let me know i will be more than happy to answer ANY of your computer tech questions

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #58 of 93
Quote:

oh please, not that "digital is made of 1 and 0, mistakes can't happen" again
festen.gif

S/PDIF is VERY prone to jitter errors, and considered to be "lossy" by some ppl because of that...a bit like UDP against TCP
redface.gif

my experience differs.

I've built quite abit of digital equipment (lately) and so far, no matter *what* I do to the signal, the dacs do their job. perfectly.

I don't believe that bits are NOT bits anymore. not with today's dacs.

ymmv but my milage shows that cables in digital don't matter. almost at all. not nearly like people (like you) believe.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #59 of 93
i'm using Corsair HX520W. it's dead quiet and according to SPCR review 12V ripple @90W - 8mV, @520W - 14mV (i doubt you will ever make your psu to output 300W, depends on your pc). 5V ripple @520 - 3.2mV.

Corsair HX520W & HX620W Modular power supplies | silentpcreview.com

higher wattage psu will inherently have higher ripple at their max. outputs but you should consider how much ripple you will likely get in real world situation.

EDIT: i just noticed Johny Guru's and Anandtech's reviews came up with different measurements, so i'm officially retreating from this thread
icon10.gif

stick with the reviews that testing methodology are closest to real world application, which i again have no clue which would be. imo Johny Guru is the man, he used to be working for PC Power & Cooling if i remember correctly, so he definitely knows what's he is talking about.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #60 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just noticed Johny Guru's and Anandtech's reviews came up with different measurements, so i'm officially retreating from this thread

the major issue is that most of the caps they use carry a ±20% tolerance. the french link I posted said that some SeaSonic/Corsair units didn't hold long enough on micro-cuts, and didn't meet the ATX specs...Corsair got back to them and actually changed one of the caps after they got their feedback! the tolerance had not been taken in account, and some units were really failing.

from reading this test, I would only recommend the Corsair 400W or the SeaSonic S2 II 500W...they say that the later uses solid caps(the Corsair 520/620 don't and give twice more ripple!), and the ripple is the lowest they've seen(it's also sold as SilverStone OEM for much cheaper).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back