What program do you use to play your music? (itt: we debate itunes jk)
Oct 8, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 169
Quote:
Someone once said foobar is great for two types of people; those wanting a ultra basic, fast, clutter free platform just to play music and those that want something more advanced and are able to put in the time and effort customise their foobar setup. I'm actually the former type.
My albums, hundreds of albums, are arranged in basic folder's on hard drives and that's how I play them. I don't need a massive playlist manager (I just listen to one album at a time), I don't bother with album art, lyrics, internet connections, streaming, fancy features. Actually, apart from using the asio4all and advanced control foobar plugins, I'm all done.   

Same here.
I'm fine with album art, but iTunes takes a long time getting things right, organizing small lists is fine, but if you have a lot of songs, its a pain.

Also, iTunes deleted my playlists a couple of times when I opened the player. The first time I rebuilt the playlist, the second time I didn't bother.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #18 of 169
If I just want the music player to play a folder with no playlists or anything else, nothing works better than 1by1 with the BASS plugins (so I can play FLACS). I'm not here to look at my files, just play them, and the minimalist interface works great. If I want to make a specific playlist of music, I'll use XMPlay for that. Both of these programs are totally portable and need no installation so I use them at work too. :D

Have used in the past:

foobar2000
uLilith
Winamp
JRiver Media Jukebox

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #19 of 169
Windows Media Player 12, VLC, sometimes foobar (all are installed, foobar and WMP are both configured to track the same collection). Primarily I like players that have effective search features (like WMP12), over playlist/etc features (which I rarely ever use). Hypothetically yes I could use desktop search + VLC for that, but it just doesn't work for me. I really liked B&O BeoPlayer pre-Vista; it didn't play nice with Aero at the time though, so I moved on. Also I liked Creative's media player back in the day; it'd play anything, tag anything, convert, time-shift, etc, but they seem to have discontinued support (and some versions have issues with libraries over 10,000 items).

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #22 of 169
There is probably not any software in existence I hate more than iTunes.

Now that I have that out of my system... I use foobar.  I was in the category of people that didnt screw with anything until recently, and started diving into it.  Its cool regardless of what you want to do with it.

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #23 of 169
Quote:
Did I go somewhere?
confused_face.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Haven't seen you around in a while!

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #24 of 169
Quote:

Now that I have that out of my system... I use foobar.  I was in the category of people that didnt screw with anything until recently, and started diving into it.  Its cool regardless of what you want to do with it.

I rockboxed my iPod Classic yesterday.

Finally I'm free from iTunes.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #25 of 169
I use foobar2000 with ASIO plugins and some DSP (resampler) .dll's, downloaded and installed a layout template that gives the program a nice touch. This is where I play lossless audio only. I also use MediaMonkey that contains my old mp3 library that took me long time to organize. Both programs are great. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #26 of 169

I actually like iTunes to some extent, but I *hate* Bonjour, Quicktime, and Apple Update. Which of course Apple forces upon you if you want iTunes, even if you select do not install, it will still silently load them as a forced update and set them to start with Windows. Undoing this setting will force them to engage in further malware-like behavior, and re-instate themselves among other things (Bonjour will rename its service to circumvent this, for example). Absolute trash if you ask me. :angry_face:

Haven't seen you around in a while!

Oh. :xf_eek:

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #27 of 169
Quote:

Completely agree, also use Foobar..

Maybe someone should set up a poll with the various programs mentioned.

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #28 of 169
mpd+ncmpcpp/deadbeef. Even when I use my Windows box, I tend to load up Cygwin and use mpd because the interface is more usable for me. Sound quality be damned! Has any Linux users here who uses jack with their player? Would be interested in trying that out soon.

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #29 of 169
Quote:
mpd+ncmpcpp/deadbeef. Even when I use my Windows box, I tend to load up Cygwin and use mpd because the interface is more usable for me. Sound quality be damned! Has any Linux users here who uses jack with their player? Would be interested in trying that out soon.

Jack? Isn't that just for configuring inputs/outputs?

I used it for configuring my keyboard to go into audacity as input... but not sure what it would be used for in terms of media players. Unless you're talking about something else.

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #30 of 169
Quote:
Jack? Isn't that just for configuring inputs/outputs?

I used it for configuring my keyboard to go into audacity as input... but not sure what it would be used for in terms of media players. Unless you're talking about something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit. It's just a sound server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back