What Piece of Gear did You Blow Up Lately?
Jul 15, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #61 of 67
My DAC bridge rectifier blows up (or maybe LM317), I don't have time to buy the replacement. In the meantime listening to SupremeFX II, doesn't sound that bad....my ear has gone bad I guess....

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #62 of 67
I got a head-fi related kill last night. I was trying to get my old cMoy to sound a little better since I have more experience now and apparently the wall wart I was using wasn't isolated and tied ground to mains. I turned the power switch off that just disconnected + and left it all plugged in while I tried to desolder the output caps...

I don't think I've EVER jumped out of a chair that fast before! I hadn't tried soldering on it since I converted it to mains operation and most of my supplies are of the switching type so I have never had it a concern. The lessons we learn.
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #65 of 67
The brown wire there was a mains ground and when I went to solder the pads next to it for the caps it sparked, I jumped, and the iron grounded through that line without a fuse. Found out my flux is flammable too. Since it didn't ground through the whole board I was able to simply stick a new opamp in there (killed it with the first spark) and it works just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back