What Piece of Gear did You Blow Up Lately?
Jul 14, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #46 of 67
Last thing I blew up was a flywheel on an OHV 8hp(stock) B&S engine. I'd custom ground a cam, ported by hand with other head tweaks, turbocharged, and converted to EFI but thought to myself: Why should I get a race flywheel? If I leave the stock iron flywheel I'll keep more power during shifts.

Yeah, not so much, when I took it to the dyno shop for EFI tuning the iron flywheel failed at around 8500...
frown.gif
They STILL haven't been able to find all of it in the cinder block walls of the sealed dyno room but on the bright side(for them) the pieces that entered the turbo casing didn't come out the other side, it just hung out in the compressor and raped it.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #47 of 67
A hot air gun. It got too hot..

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #48 of 67
Latest and most devastating death ever, all the tubes for my DIY/Modded Marshal JCM800 2203 guitar amp....

4x KT88
2x ECC83
1x EL34

Had family over and one of the youger kids decided my work table was where he wanted to play and everything on it could just be pushed off onto the floor.... including a box containing ~180USD worth of tubes

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #50 of 67
Got some water on a CMOY the other day, kind of intermittent now.
frown.gif

xx

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #51 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugrhigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Latest and most devastating death ever, all the tubes for my DIY/Modded Marshal JCM800 2203 guitar amp....

4x KT88
2x ECC83
1x EL34

Had family over and one of the youger kids decided my work table was where he wanted to play and everything on it could just be pushed off onto the floor.... including a box containing ~180USD worth of tubes

um, must say I would be slightly more than upset with the child if they were old enough to comprehend such action, or upset with the parents if they were not.

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #52 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKJones96 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last thing I blew up was a flywheel on an OHV 8hp(stock) B&S engine. I'd custom ground a cam, ported by hand with other head tweaks, turbocharged, and converted to EFI but thought to myself: Why should I get a race flywheel? If I leave the stock iron flywheel I'll keep more power during shifts.

Yeah, not so much, when I took it to the dyno shop for EFI tuning the iron flywheel failed at around 8500...
frown.gif
They STILL haven't been able to find all of it in the cinder block walls of the sealed dyno room but on the bright side(for them) the pieces that entered the turbo casing didn't come out the other side, it just hung out in the compressor and raped it.

Gotta go forged!
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #53 of 67
The last thing I blew up was a woofer on one of my speakers about 6 months ago. I was plugging in the interconnects on my stereo system after moving into my new place and didn't notice that the amp was on. Fortunately I had a spare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashkii21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, well I haven't really had anything blow up, the closest was when I was building my very first Cmoy. I accidentally inverted one of the power caps, I had one in backwards and when I applied power to the amp, the top of the cap bulged up. Kind of scared me, I wonder what would've happened if it burst open. Anyone see an electrolytic capacitor explode?

I haven't seen it, but I've heard it. I was at my daughter's this weekend watching a movie on her cheap-ass Memorex dvd player. Suddenly it sounded like a champagne cork popped and the player shut off. Opened it up and the casing was half way off one of the power caps.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #54 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um, must say I would be slightly more than upset with the child if they were old enough to comprehend such action, or upset with the parents if they were not.

Well, he's just turned 2 so he should know better but it's to the point where you cannot be too mad. Don't get me wrong, I was furious but the parents repaid me so it wasn't a big deal just a delay in the build....

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #57 of 67
Actually, the glass liner imploded. A vacuum with a metal film blocks convection, conduction, and radiant heat loss very well; at least until the liner implodes.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #58 of 67
I just realized that I grounded my 100kV power supply that I've been using for weeks improperly and I'm extremely lucky I didn't backfeed a 50kv flashover into my house 120. That would have been a pretty exciting blow-up for the whole family and every electronic device and light in the house.

Also nearly blew out my HD-600's with an EM pulse across the room going into my tube amp. That was a loud pop in my ears

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #59 of 67
I blew up a USB soundcard with mains voltage electricity
redface.gif

I was poking around with my DIY amp with it plugged in. The IEC inlet was loose and I think I shorted it out against the case. BANG, flash of blue, blown fuse, bye bye soundcard. The amp was fine tho :p

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #60 of 67
My father used to work for a company that designed and built specialty electronics. This was back in the '60s. He tells a story about a large torroidal transformer (something like 6' diameter) they built. It seems that somebody attached the device in a way that created a shorted secondary loop. The ensuing inrush current tripped the breaker at the panel, the breaker at the service entrance, and the breakers at the substation.

That's right, my dad caused a blackout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back