What Piece of Gear did You Blow Up Lately?
Jul 13, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #31 of 67
The last time I blew something up was a Bogen DB130 Mono Hi Fi Amp I had in the 60's. As a kid I used to find old TV speakers and hook them up to my amp, turn the volume control to max and watch the voice coils smoke. I did this many times without damaging the amp. That is until the last time I did it.The Amp started smoking, almost caught fire, and then just died. Needless to say, I was a kid with issues. LOL!!

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #32 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was a kid with issues. LOL!!

Maybe still with issues, LOL.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #33 of 67
I blew/killed a Muse cap.
frown.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #34 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe still with issues, LOL.

You might be right!
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #35 of 67
The biggest electrical explosion I have been lucky enough to be present for was when I worked on an engineering team in college that built hybrid electric vehicles (back in the late 90's).

Anyhow we had a 3phase induction motor rated for about 115kW. The controller for the motor used 3 LARGE IGBTs. Each transistor was ~3inches wide, 6 inches long and 1.5inches high, with the "leads" on top (actually lug bolts is a better term). Each of the 3 lugs on the transistor was bolted to a 1/4" thick copper bus bar.

Well we were running tests one day and apparently one of the gate drivers failed pulling one of the IGBT's on, which when the second one turned on it created a short. The battery pack supplying power to the controller can source well over 1000As for a decent amount of time. Needless to say I have heard gunshots that were not nearly as loud. The IGBT blew its top off separating itself from the HS mounting plate and deforming the 3 1/4" bus bars connected to the top by several inches.

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #37 of 67
Wow, well I haven't really had anything blow up, the closest was when I was building my very first Cmoy. I accidentally inverted one of the power caps, I had one in backwards and when I applied power to the amp, the top of the cap bulged up. Kind of scared me, I wonder what would've happened if it burst open. Anyone see an electrolytic capacitor explode?

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #38 of 67
I've blown up a lab ps and a computer ps. Crashed at least four hard drives and i've zapped myself with a big ass cap. Fried a motherboard, killed some ram. damn.

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #43 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was soldering some new leads on a fan in my computer because the fans I used didn't have the standard 3-pin headers or molex connectors on them (industrial panaflows).

In a complete brainfart though, I forgot to turn the computer off first.

When the iron hit the live power supply wire it let off a spark bright enough that I could see the afterimage for several hours. The resultant shock killed the power supply, three hard drives, the fan, and a CD-ROM drive. Somehow the motherboard and CPU survived.

And when I say killed, I mean dead dead. All three hard drives smelled of burnt silicon. One of the hard drives would rattle when shaken!

A very expensive lesson
frown.gif

wait, what? Shouldn't you just've attached a molex connector onto the fan?
What on earth were you trying to do?

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #44 of 67
I was testing a 6dj8 tube on my TV-7. It was reading really, really, really strong. I thought I had a winner on my hands when I noticed the tube was glowing extra bright. Turns out I had the filament voltage set to 12.6 instead of 6.3 v. Whoopsie.

The tube still tests OK with the filament at 6.3 v, I guess I will have to test it in an amp one of these days. It was a nice Amperex, too.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #45 of 67
I tried converting an Abit BD-7 Raid motherboard into a board that would support four P4 Northwoods. First run, it gave me a light show I'll never forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back