What part of the signal chain makes the most difference?
Feb 18, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci
I couldn't vote
frown.gif
. My answer would be the weakest link which can be any of the above at any given time in any system. IMHO.

I'm stickin' to this answer no matter how the question is worded.

Feb 18, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #18 of 34
Source.

Feb 18, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #19 of 34
In order from most to least:

Headphones/Speakers
Amp
source
cables

Power cables
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #20 of 34
Back in the "Olden Days", the conventional wisdom said transducers, i.e. phono cartridge and speakers. The proper conversion of one form of energy to another was key.

Following that line of thought, headphones for sure for the purpose of this discussion.

Feb 19, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #21 of 34
Where's "mood"?

I understand why most people say source -- headphones don't "voice" as differently as speakers do, so "conventional wisdom" kind of goes out the window.

"Karma". "Health". "Comfort". "Psychosis". "Neurosis". All those things that contribute to "mood" play a much bigger part in whether or not I even want to listen to something at all than any of those other things.

Where's "Vibration control/isolation components"?

Alright, sorry, I'll try to answer the question next time. I just really enjoy treating most questions like they were "Zen" questions.

Feb 19, 2002 at 9:38 AM Post #23 of 34
the source is the main ingredient in an audio chain.I don't go by any set formula for cost to component ratio as far as system budgets go but I feel if your best investment is always your souce component.I also feel that improvements to your souce component is a wise investment.I can't see spending money to upgrade cables,amps or even speakers/headphones if your source component is not up to the task.

Feb 19, 2002 at 10:02 AM Post #24 of 34
I infered from the original post that the "Source" was to be digital, specifically CD, and did not include the quality of the recording or budget considerations. Maybe the poll could be better defined.

Feb 19, 2002 at 11:08 AM Post #25 of 34
Lots of people unhappy with the vagueness of the question.

That's entirely the point. I want people's opinions, to stimulate some debate within a loose framework. I don't want a simple yes or no answer. This or that or the other. Tell me what you think, then tell me why.

Feb 19, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
Lots of people unhappy with the vagueness of the question.

That's entirely the point. I want people's opinions, to stimulate some debate within a loose framework. I don't want a simple yes or no answer. This or that or the other. Tell me what you think, then tell me why.

In other words, you want another Head-Fi 300 post "argument" that ends up the way it started?
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #29 of 34
The answer to this quandry is that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. A system will only be as good as the poorest component in it will allow, program material included.
Cheers,
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back