What pair of headphones do you regret selling the most?
Oct 9, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #34 of 69
Sony MDR-CD1700.
Thought I could have better sound quality, but forgot how important comfort is.
And I do miss their comfortable earpads...

Oct 9, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #35 of 69
AKG 701

I had too many pairs of headphones at the time and needed the money. I think they lost out to another pair of headphones I had, but I'm not sure.
I believe the main reason was because I had the DT-990 at the time and they were easier to drive and more comfortable.

A few years later I bought the AKG 702 and they had a poor fit for me and the treble bothered me. I never had any of these issues with the AKG 701 somehow.

I compared my 702 side by side with the HD-600 and the AKG 702 lost out due to vocal quality and accuracy with specific instruments. You really can't compare these since I find them so different.
I sometimes feel the HD-600 is a bit too laid back at times, but still love it. It's level of detail never impressed me, but it's good for listening to for long periods of time.

The main reason I regret selling them is now they seem WAY more expensive!

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #36 of 69
I haven't sold too many headphones in my day but I was just very interested in the responses. Very insightful as things clarify over time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #37 of 69
This thread is fascinating for someone still pretty new to all this, like me. Myself, I don't like selling anything, ever. Even if I need the cash and it's something I barely/never use.

Once it's mine, it's mine dammit. Nobody else gettin' their sweaty paws on my stuff. *shifty eyes*

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #39 of 69
- The new-manufacture HE90 through Meier.

- Because I sold it, and later overpaid for a HE/V90. Given that the HEV90 is not exactly the world's greatest ES amp I was, from a functional aspect, better off keeping the setup I had then...

... ah who am I kidding, I'd have eventually found an excuse to buy a whole Orpheus anyway.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #40 of 69
Soulsyde, I think he's just saying that it's interesting for new members to see what people who have been here longer regret selling. It gives them some insight. I don't think he was trying to say you were new.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #41 of 69
Quote:
Soulsyde, I think he's just saying that it's interesting for new members to see what people who have been here longer regret selling. It gives them some insight. I don't think he was trying to say you were new.
smile_phones.gif

What he say^

Yeah, I wasn't implying that anyone was a noob except myself
tongue.gif
Just noting that it's helpful to be able to see what people truly valued down the line, not sitting myself on a wealth of experience.

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #42 of 69
Indeed it was an ouch but something good came of it in the end: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/431581/the-single-power-es-1-2-repair-and-restoration-thread

Quote:

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #44 of 69
My Smeggy made amboyna burl Thunderpants...  these were absolutely the perfect cans.  they are currently being hailed as very close rivals or equals to the audeze lcd-2 in many circles here if that tells you anything.
i sold them so i could get the JH3A which comes out late fall.   Im confident about my decision to spring for the jh3a, but boy were these sweet!  and in the interim, i am being reminded just how crappy my lesser headphones sound.. (sennheiser px100, and klipsch s4)

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #45 of 69
I have never sold off a headphone.  I have nothing to regret.
Well, actually I do.  I regret buying a Sony MDR-V6 as my first "good" headphone back in the early 80s.  If only I'd known to buy one of the classic orthos of the period I'd have been set and still listening to them now rather than looking at my V6 and wishing they'd somehow get run over by a steamroller.  I'd sell off my V6 but I can't do it in good conscience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back