What other freeware music players besides Foobar2000?
Feb 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
Lol at using iTunes, especially its Windows version that's even less usable.

There is a poll around here with interesting options, most up and above iTunes in all regards.

a music player is a person's own choice. i like itunes. i have used all others. i don't see anything i like about them other than speed of program start. i don't need all the add on and features of foobar all the time either. the people on head fi just want to be unconforming

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
a music player is a person's own choice. i like itunes. i have used all others. i don't see anything i like about them other than speed of program start. i don't need all the add on and features of foobar all the time either. the people on head fi just want to be unconforming

You can also use Windows Media Player, more or less the same tier of iTunes. But advertising iTunes as a quality alternative to foobar2000 is laughable at best. But if iTunes works for you, then enjoy.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
You can also use Windows Media Player, more or less the same tier of iTunes. But advertising iTunes as a quality alternative to foobar2000 is laughable at best. But if iTunes works for you, then enjoy.

thank you. as an pc enthusist. i know EXACTLY what you mean by features, customiziation,add ons basically just take the program by the you know what and change it to your liking. my pre audiohpile days have itunes engraved in me. the interface is what i use and it just works. 

but if it makes you feel better. i don't use it for listening to music. i rarely listen to music on my desktop :) i use it so i can sync it to my idevice. i use my Mac and itunes with optical cable to my DAC but that's about it. when i do audiophile ABX tests and other stuff. i make sure to whip out foobar :D 

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
thank you. as an pc enthusist. i know EXACTLY what you mean by features, customiziation,add ons basically just take the program by the you know what and change it to your liking. my pre audiohpile days have itunes engraved in me. the interface is what i use and it just works. 

but if it makes you feel better. i don't use it for listening to music. i rarely listen to music on my desktop :) i use it so i can sync it to my idevice. i use my Mac and itunes with optical cable to my DAC but that's about it. when i do audiophile ABX tests and other stuff. i make sure to whip out foobar :D 

iDevice syncing is basically what it's for (curiously it's not even needed anymore for that), along with being used to access iTunes store.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
iDevice syncing is basically what it's for (curiously it's not even needed anymore for that), along with being used to access iTunes store.

that's me 90% of the time. the other 10% is when i use my Mac with it. that's when i actually ever use iTunes for music.....i don't listen to music sitting down a lot. it's all just portable to me. and i use my DAC...mainly for movies and games..yeah i know....kinda werid. sad cat(it's a cat, not a bunny) avatar time

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
that's me 90% of the time. the other 10% is when i use my Mac with it. that's when i actually ever use iTunes for music.....i don't listen to music sitting down a lot. it's all just portable to me. and i use my DAC...mainly for movies and games..yeah i know....kinda werid. sad cat(it's a cat, not a bunny) avatar time

To be true, I can understand Apple not wanting users to access their features through any device or software, but it's a wrong way of doing things (even if it's the Apple way), as mass storage device recognition and the store accessible through any browser would increase its appeal.

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #23 of 31
My vote for MediaMonkey - this is version 4.0.3 with 'Vitreous' skin:

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #24 of 31
i am using mediamonkey plus asio4all with win 7

tried jriver and jplay (both not free) never like the layout presentation although some claim jplay render very good sound.

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #27 of 31
My web search spat out:
  • Sharepod
  • CopyTrans Manager
  • Songbird
  • Cowon/Jetaudio
  • MediaGo

That said, I've used WMP, MediaGo, Winamp and MediaMonkey. 

MediaGo was more simple than WMP but too simple as it lacked features. It's album information-finding tool seemed inferior to WMP. Uninstalled it.

I'm still getting used to MediaMonkey but it seems like I'll have to buy the Gold edition in order to have more control over CD ripping.

I tried Winamp but its features/options seem "more" open-source than those of other players. That, combined with its complicated nature, led me to abandon it in favor of something more simple. Yes, I was too lazy to learn its intricacies.

I still default to Windows Media Player just because it's so familiar, simple, easy and all I really use it for is ripping CD's and synching to my PMP.

Like other posters, I don't even listen to music on my desktop but instead, off my PMP.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
My web search spat out:
  • Sharepod
  • CopyTrans Manager
  • Songbird
  • Cowon/Jetaudio
  • MediaGo

That said, I've used WMP, MediaGo, Winamp and MediaMonkey. 

MediaGo was more simple than WMP but too simple as it lacked features. It's album information-finding tool seemed inferior to WMP. Uninstalled it.

I'm still getting used to MediaMonkey but it seems like I'll have to buy the Gold edition in order to have more control over CD ripping.

I tried Winamp but its features/options seem "more" open-source than those of other players. That, combined with its complicated nature, led me to abandon it in favor of something more simple. Yes, I was too lazy to learn its intricacies.

I still default to Windows Media Player just because it's so familiar, simple, easy and all I really use it for is ripping CD's and synching to my PMP.

Like other posters, I don't even listen to music on my desktop but instead, off my PMP.

Once you get used to Media Monkey it is hard to go to anything else. It lets you organize your music very well and can sync virtually all devices. Oh and the ability to use ASIO is excellent. Using ASIO with my Rikit RP2 8's sounds very nice, especially FLAC.

RH

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #29 of 31
Used iTunes for years (windows) then tried Mediamonkey and never used anything else since. Even bought gold =)

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #30 of 31
I've tried foobar, mediamonkey, songbird, and finally MusicBee.

Foobar was great. I just couldn't get used to the lack of a library view.
Songbird became too bloated.
Mediamonkey was alright. I haven't tried v4 yet though.
MusicBee is my favorite so far. It has all the features I wanted (last.fm scrobbling, lyrics, device sync) and the interface was nice and clean out of the box.

The coolest thing about musicbee was the last.fm playcount sync. I use poweramp on my android phone during the day which scrobbles to last.fm. When I get home and open up musicbee, it has already synced with last.fm and all the songs I've listened to earlier that day on my phone shows up in the recently played playlist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back