What Optical Cable to buy?
May 26, 2004 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Reader

100+ Head-Fier
I have Radio Shack Fusion AV optical Cable, I don't have anything else to compare, so I don't know if they are good or not, I read that there are some good and cheap glass toslink cable on ebay, should I get them and return the fusion av? or maybe get something else? Need your advise. Thanks.

May 26, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 32
Any that is well constructed and uses quality components.

It shouldnt cost much about $20 or so tops.

May 27, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

The glass toslink, without a doubt, has better sonic characteristics than most other optical cables.

How could this be true? Does the glass make better 1s or 0s? Either the light gets there or it doesn't. More marketing hype.

May 27, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 32
I personally do not think that there is a difference, its just 1s and 0s, light on, light off or something like that.

I have however read that it may help with jitter.

May 27, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 32
I had the same question a week or so ago. Did a search on this forum and found a few threads debating the advantages of glass toslink. Some members say that glass toslink is better than co-axial and regular plastic toslink. The members bought the cable off this ebay seller who sells glass toslink for $40. Just type in "glass toslink" on ebay's search. I bought it off that same seller. It should be here anyday now. Let you know what I think.

May 27, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by shard
I personally do not think that there is a difference, its just 1s and 0s, light on, light off or something like that.

I have however read that it may help with jitter.

I don't want to gey too off topic, but it's all about diffraction coefficients, etc. If the light inside the fiber bounces around funny it can have an additive, subtractive effect on the signal. You want 100% of the light to propogate down the fiber, not bounce around inside. The insulation surrouding the fiber, the fiber material and quality (ie, no scratches) all effects this.

May 27, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 32
Light does bounce around inside an optical cable, that's how a light signal is transmitted inside an optical cable, if I still remember my high school physics correctly.

May 27, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Light does bounce around inside an optical cable, that's how a light signal is transmitted inside an optical cable, if I still remember my high school physics correctly.

yes, it bounces off the walls as it travels. But in an organized and predictable fashion. I was refering more to the signal "rattling around" inside the fiber in a
non-intended manner.

May 27, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 32
For short runs, there is just no loss of data and plastic is fine. Maybe for cable lengths of 500 feet or more with a lot more data than audio you would see some loss, but for a 3 meters the data gets there.

May 27, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 32
Fiber-optic communication cables run in the lengths of hundreds of thousands of miles, and carry GIGANTIC amounts of data, MUCH more than the amount of data contained in stereo signals. Of course there are signal boosters along the way. For a mere few meters of optic cables carrying stereo signals, I don't see how the quality can change appreciably between glass and plastic.

May 27, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #15 of 32
The advantage of fiber optic cables over conventionl copper cables is minimal signal loss over long distances. For a few meters, how much loss or degradation of signal can there be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back