What name brand audio products are the best ever?
Nov 25, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #46 of 57
Nakamichi 1000ZXL Limited Edition Tape Deck (1983-1984)

1000zxllimited800.jpg

Goldmund Reference Turntable + T3F Arm (this legendary turntable has been out of production since 1992)
Original cost $75,000.00

referett.jpg

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprised that no one has listed LAMM to the Pre and Amplifier ranks

Could be because LAMM is well know in the DIY world as a scam(not worth anything near their price), due to the cheap electronic components contained inside their beautiful black boxes. Or possibly because other components mentioned are preferred. I have listened to several LAMM components and have never been impressed, for their asking price one could get an FM Acoustics, which I think any of their models represent the SOTA. Hell, I prefer my Baby Halcro than the ML1.2 Ref from Lamm.

Nov 26, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be because LAMM is well know in the DIY world as a scam(not worth anything near their price), due to the cheap electronic components contained inside their beautiful black boxes. Or possibly because other components mentioned are preferred. I have listened to several LAMM components and have never been impressed, for their asking price one could get an FM Acoustics, which I think any of their models represent the SOTA. Hell, I prefer my Baby Halcro than the ML1.2 Ref from Lamm.

Interesting opinion, that differs significantly from my own experience, DIY or not, regardless of price. Heard the Halcro's too in a friends system that contain both. Not bad. Now, he uses 'em for his rear channels.
smile.gif

Just my opinion, but both FMA and LAMM play in the same arena.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i had a fair amount of disposable income, i would buy the Emm Labs TSD1/DAC2 and never think about upgrading my digital again (at least until the new model came out).

You should.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

FM Acoustics for amplification
Kondo for preamplification
Kharma for speakers and cables
Accuphase for digital
Continuum for TT
Stax for Headphones

Second!
The FM is nice.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bredin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boulder anyone?
Welcome to BoulderAmp.com

I am here. Never miss the Boulder's flagship system with Wilson speakers.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best stuff thats achievable for most people with a decent job:

Bryston Classe YBA Magnepan...Woo Audio

Great list! I'm going to keep it handy! x2 on Magnepan, the ones you buy direct are an amazing value! You need to add subs, so lets put SVS on your list.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

Except stax and possibly goldmund, I dont consider any of those as being ultra high end, they are more like ultra commercial high end...

I think B&W and Levinson definitely belong on the list. If you look at their top end products they are very expensive and compete well with the smaller players in that market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back