What name brand audio products are the best ever?
Sep 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 57
Sep 9, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 57
Stax
Goldmund
Audio Research
Bowers & Wilkins
Krell
Mark Levinson
McIntosh

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax
Goldmund
Audio Research
Bowers & Wilkins
Krell
Mark Levinson
McIntosh

Except stax and possibly goldmund, I dont consider any of those as being ultra high end, they are more like ultra commercial high end...

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 57
if i had a fair amount of disposable income, i would buy the Emm Labs TSD1/DAC2 and never think about upgrading my digital again (at least until the new model came out).

for headphones, an R10 and HE90 would be nice.

as for the rest (amps, cables, etc), not sure.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except stax and possibly goldmund, I dont consider any of those as being ultra high end, they are more like ultra commercial high end...

Guess it depends what we put in the "best" word... Note that 'high end' was not mentioned by the OP at all.

How about Burmester?

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 57
I'm a SET guy, and the best I've heard to date are the Audio Note silver amps.

I'm told by a couple unrelated sources that the best they've heard is the Bridge Audio Laboratory gear.

BAlabo - Bridge Audio Laboratory

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i had a fair amount of disposable income, i would buy the Emm Labs TSD1/DAC2

DAC2 US$9,500 | TSD1 US$11,000
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Burmester?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burmester
On the occasion of its 25th anniversary, a limited edition of the 808 has been custom-built in 24 karat gold.
eek.gif

Burmester Audiosysteme GmbH ::: Products

beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 57
If I were to go solid state, I'd go with Pass Labs. Incredible stuff. I might pick up a Pass Labs preamp to go with the Orion+ setup. Yeah, it goes against most of my leanings, but Dr. Linkwitz recommends solid state for the setup and I trust his judgment.

As for tubes, DIY is really the ticket to the highest end. There are a few manufacturers that lavish on power supplies and parts, but the finest rigs I've seen are built with ridiculous levels of parts, cases and over the top power supplies. What some builders make would cost tens of thousands if offered commercially. Look at what Frank Cooter does. He's one of a few who build to that level with headphones, but there are many more who build that quality of gear in the speaker world. The nicething about tubes is that they're more accessible on the amateur level. You can't build a CD transport from scratch (though I'm sure someone has) but you can string together absurd levels of transformers, chokes, tubes, etc. at home and build something of far higher quality than anything offered commercially.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #14 of 57
Stax. Perfect combination of state-of-the-art innovation, coherence, reference level quality and affordability.

Many audio brands share some of those characteristics, but I can't think of another one that combines them all in the way Stax does.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 57
From a standpoint of historical significance to the high-end audio world, I would consider:

Amps:
McIntosh
Krell
Audio Research
Pass (Threshold/Pass/Forte/First Watt)

Speakers:
B&W
Mangnepan
Wilson
Quad
Vandersteen

Sources:
Meridian
Linn
SME
Oracle (?) - just due to their trend setting turntable that is still in production.

These companies have stood the test of time and have always produced products that are benchmarks for their respective categories. There will always be small companies that will produce a product here or there that may be "better," but when a book about the history of high-end audio comes out, the stalwarts above will definitely be listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back