What my audiologist thinks of DIY ear impressions.
Nov 3, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #16 of 42
Of course an audiologist would tell you that a DIY kit would be dangerous. If it were actually that dangerous DIY impression companies would get sued up the ying yang. Audiologist probable use a different substance to make impressions than the DIY kits.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course an audiologist would tell you that a DIY kit would be dangerous. If it were actually that dangerous DIY impression companies would get sued up the ying yang. Audiologist probable use a different substance to make impressions than the DIY kits.

And of course a surgeon would tell you a DIY appendectomy kit would be dangerous. Clearly, it is a conspiracy.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #18 of 42
is this one of those "pierce your
ears wrong and you can go
blind" kind of a deal or for real?

in either way, i got my impression done in korea for
10$ so...

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The funniest part is that the doctor is wearing glasses!

I didn't catch that little extra touch - nice!

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #20 of 42
It's a stupid argument because the DIY kit I used come with the same foam plugs that an audiologist uses to protect your eardrum. IMO, if you're going to argue against DIY impressions it should be based on the quality of the mold.

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a Friend of mine works for The hearing aid place, Beltone. She told me they only charge $15 to do impressions and walk-ins, (though I would call for courtesy's sake).

I called a Beltone in Chicago and the lady said they wouldn't do impressions for any other reason than a hearing aide. Do they think I need a mold to snort coke through my ears or something?

I cant find a place that will do them for under $40!!! Ridiculous. Any suggestions?

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 !!! Livewires is ~60 minutes away from me, I could just get the impressions done in-house and pick them up direct.

Only 60 minutes? You must be, what, 5 miles away then?
biggrin.gif
Sorry for the OT post, I just couldn't resist. San Jose area traffic's worse than LA!

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #25 of 42
Sensaphonics is in Chicago call them up.

Sensaphonics Hearing Conservation, Inc.
660 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Chicago, IL 60622

Toll-free (US): 877-848-1714
International: (+1) 312-432-1714
Facsimile: 312-432-1738

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course an audiologist would tell you that a DIY kit would be dangerous.

My thoughts exactly. I've done numerous DIY ear impressions and employ the same technique as the professional that made my molds for the UE11. The impressions I made for a custom E500 tip ended up being more accurate than the professional impressions, and I sent UE my mold in the box instead of the professional one. Never needed a refit on the UE11 either, fit great on the first try.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What happens is when you take out your ear impression you take out your eardrum.

There is no
eek.gif
big enough!

Mar 6, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #28 of 42
My only experience in DIY ear molds sent me to the doctor the next day in order to clean out my ears....it is very scary! I couldn't hear out of one of my ears! :-O Just shell out the cash to get it done correctly.

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #29 of 42
The facial nerve courses through the middle ear cavity. For those of us who like to smile and eat/drink without drooling, it is important that no foreign material ever reach the middle ear. Unfortunately, there have been cases where practitioners have failed to recognize a perforated eardrum, overshot the cotton/foam block and impression material has bonded to this most essential nerve, resulting in permanent facial paralysis. If it's possible for it to happen in a professional setting, don't you think a do-it-yourselfer with no training whatsoever could do similar damage to themselves? Regardless of which custom manufacturer you choose, have your ear impressions made professionally.

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #30 of 42
Whether you are DIY god or not, I just don't understand the logic behind spending so much money on headphones but cheaping out on something that can affect your health. Esp. when it costs $15 or apparently free at costco for their members...
confused.gif
$1000 for UE10? No problem!!! $15 for ear impressions?!? are you crazy?!? I'll do it myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back