What my audiologist thinks of DIY ear impressions.
Nov 2, 2007 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

flargosa

500+ Head-Fier
I went to the Doctor(Audiologist) today to get an ear impression for my Etys, I also ask her what she thought of DIY ear impressions. She said she had to do 40 ear molds under professional supervision before she got certified. She also said that the impression fluid can attach to the eardrum, or can leak through the foam stop and attach to the eardrum. What happens is when you take out your ear impression you take out your eardrum. Just thought to share this info, before someone decides to save some cash and do the impression themselves.

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayehs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just not worth it IMO. I don't know how someone can spend thousands on headphones yet not be willing to dish out $50 or less for a proper ear impressions.

x2 !!! Livewires is ~60 minutes away from me, I could just get the impressions done in-house and pick them up direct.

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 42
Same thing my doctor said when i called to make the appointment, she seemed a bit upset that a company was offering DIY impression kits
rolleyes.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 42
My doctor wasn't upset but she seemed surprise, apparently it is dangerous, and takes some professional practice. Though the whole DIY process seems easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same thing my doctor said when i called to make the appointment, she seemed a bit upset that a company was offering DIY impression kits
rolleyes.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 42
Well she is the cranky type but who knows. I, however, do not trust myself with anything that might affect my hearing. I've invest a little too much in audio to lose my hearing now
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My doctor wasn't upset but she seemed surprise, apparently it is dangerous, and takes some professional practice. Though the whole DIY process seems easy.

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 42
I'm waiting for the DIY Lasek surgery kit.

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting for the DIY Lasek surgery kit.

rotf!!
etysmile.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 42
a Friend of mine works for The hearing aid place, Beltone. She told me they only charge $15 to do impressions and walk-ins, (though I would call for courtesy's sake).

They were spot on for livewires.

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is so very wrong of them to sell something like that. I hope it's just a joke, even the four procedures look like a joke with the cartoony drawing.

I love the "Don't Blink!" part of the drawing.
biggrin.gif

But yes, it's a joke site.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is so very wrong of them to sell something like that. I hope it's just a joke, even the four procedures look like a joke with the cartoony drawing.

The funniest part is that the doctor is wearing glasses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back