What music fits Beyer DT880 and DT990
Nov 10, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 16
Most music sounds good to me with the DT880. I like to use it especially for Chill Out and Downtempo/Ambient Electronica such as the Cafe del Mar series. Its details, crisp highs, and expansive soundstage makes the music very pleasant.

Faster paced electronica is also good, as well as classical and jazz.

Nov 10, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 16
Agreed, the DT 990 fits all types of music pretty well. The only genre I don't enjoy listening to as much on the DT 880 is rock. Electric guitars just strike me as almost too detailed and refined, not enough grit
icon10.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 16
If you had to choose between the DT series for these kinds of music/bans - which do you think would work best?

Classic Rock (Clapton, Led Zep, Hendrix)
Electronic/Techno (DJ Icey, Timo Maas, Richard Dorfmeister)
Punk/Industial (Ministry, Misfits)
Metal (Megadeth)
Some other stuff like Phish, Waylon Jennings, yadda yadda.

I'm price insensitive as for as the cans go. Also wouldn't mind a desktop (A/C) amp recommendation, preferably in the ~$200 region.

Or are there other cans I should seriously consider? I recently tried the Ultasone 650s and was pretty impressed.

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 16
I would suggest the 990's, for what you listen to. For $157.00 at amazon.com they are quite a bargain. It would be my top recommendation.

Although there are other cans by different manufactures that you might want to consider too. In the under $200 price range, you could consider some of the AKG models, or Grados too. Although I find it hard to recommend the SR225, when compared to the slightly more expensive 325i/MSi. You might want to look for the older versions of the MS2 used.

- augustwest

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
I would suggest the 990's, for what you listen to.

Did he say, what he listens to
confused.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 16
I agree that they are both good "all arounders" but I'd probably use the DT990s when you're in the mood for faster, more upbeat types of stuff (happy, happy, music). The DT880s are more neutral (if not even a bit on the clinical side) and would probably be better for critical listening. I prefer the DT880s overall, but they're not quite as exciting as the DT990s in the upper registers.

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 16
DT880/990 are probably my favourite headphones.
They are both great "all-arounders", with preference for the DT880, more neutral and "flexible".
DT990 sound georgeus with choir, classical, and music like Vangelis, Enya, etc.... When open spaces are needed, the DT990 is special. But the recording has to be not overly bright. DT880 are more "forgiving" in this sense, although they are more for "reference use".

bye
Andrea

Nov 10, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 16
please..... which should i get... the 990pro or the non pro. I can get them at the sam price.... PLEASE TELL ME!! I cant make this choice... Is the pro in better quility?

Nov 10, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 16
get the pro, i've heard something about them having a diffused field setup although i've also heard they sound the same and the non-pro has a more comfortable headband. just pick one.

Nov 12, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #15 of 16
I have the DT990 non-pro and I am very happy. It is said that the pro version has a slightly tighter headband (and shorter, this could bring problems if you have a big head), which can modify a little the sound between the two (for the comfort, I don't think that there will be big differences, due to the very soft pads).
I think you will be happy with both.

bye
Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back