What music do you space out to?
Jan 30, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Perhaps I misunderstood what was meant by space out.

No, you're fine. I was only laughing because I know, first hand, what kind of music you listen to. It's just not "typical" space-out music. But I'm the one who fell asleep to Skinny Puppy, so it was by no means a stretch of the imagination.

Hmmm....

If Lisa Gerrard, then Dead Can Dance. QED.

Synaesthesia (FLA side project) and earlier Delerium.

PS Mira -- what a coincidence, I was just listening to them. Nice. Very slowdivey.

Jan 30, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #32 of 42
Verve - The Verve EP

highlights - Man Called Sun, Feel

low paced lazy afternoon/twilight nap time music
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #35 of 42
Dusty Chalk, I downloaded some MP3s of Klaus Schultze to audition. I didn't realise it was strictly synth. That threw me for a loop! No additional instrumenst. Kind of kicked me back to Walter, excuse me, Wendy Carlos "Switched on Bach Days" Very retro! I still call Tangerine Dream the gods of German space rock, who Schultze seems very close in spirit to (I don't know, he may have even pre-dated TD!) But I was sort of disappointed, probably because of that lack of addtional instrumentation. Need that git-tar...

Jan 30, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #36 of 42
Oops, sorry, yes, I guess I should have warned you. All synth. He doesn't even own a microphone any more.

He even used to be a member of Tangerine Dream (only their first album -- he played drums then). So yes, very close in spirit. Tangerine Dream is one of my favourite bands of all time, right up there with Pink Floyd. But Klaus Schulze is the king of space music, if for no other reason than because he is, was, and always has been, one of the most prolific. When he released his first 10-CD box set (!), it was called The Historical Edition -- all previously recorded material. None of it was previously available. How many other artists can do that? Release a 10-CD box set of completely new material that you had already recorded? I mean, I can believe new material, but existing? And apparently, there's more!

I would recommend him to people who like Tangerine Dream. He's more "patient", though. They are more "accessible".

Pete Namlook is trying hard to catch up, but he got a late start.

Jan 30, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #37 of 42
Wow. Very interesting. I have to say, Dusty, you really know your stuff. You're not a DJ, by any chance? You're knowledge of equipment and music can only be described as astonishing at times.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Wow. Very interesting. I have to say, Dusty, you really know your stuff. You're not a DJ, by any chance? You're knowledge of equipment and music can only be described as astonishing at times.

Aw, shucks (blushes). Thanks. No, you just caught me on my "home turf".

Feb 3, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #39 of 42
Ever since I was a teenager back in the early Seventies, I've been able to get completely lost in both The Moody Blues' A Question Of Balance and In Search Of The Lost Cord. Come to think of it, those albums were "headphones only" even back then. I had a pair of Koss something-or-other (Pro 4AA maybe...??) with a really tight, lightweight coil-cord and an el-cheapo stereo in my bedroom but not knowing any better, I could float away every time. Still works too! (The music that is...the Koss are long gone.)

Feb 4, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #41 of 42
Best Buy didnt know it but they were having a special discount on Afro-Celt. Its pretty spacey stuff, Peter Gabriel does the lyrics on one track. Which reminds me Peter gabriels soundtrack to "the last temptation of Christ" is pretty spacey too.

Feb 4, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #42 of 42
Hey, good catch, Moo, I love that new one that's produced by Steve Albini. I was listening to it a lot when it first came out, will have to pull it out again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back