What music do you space out to?
Jan 29, 2002 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 42
I have to agree with some of what has been said. Sigur Ros and Mogwai (more Young Team or Ten Rapid than Come on Die Young (probably because I have not heard Come on Die Young)). Also ambient stuff like Windy and Carl, some electronica like Inkblot's "The Language Game". Nick Drake brings me to him more than takes me away from somewhere if that makes sense. It is not spacing out, but more like shifting my conciousness more towards his and less from my daily routine...in that sense it is very transcendental. Bach's cello suites oddly have the exact same effect. Shostakovich's Eighth string quartet is more like entering a tortured mind, and I can only listen to it if I am very secure in who I am at the time.
Yeah, well anyway.
Stu

Jan 29, 2002 at 1:51 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
99.9999999999% of my CDs.

Heh-heh.

I love Space Rock: Klaus Schulze is the absolute master. Pete Namlook a close second (anything on the Fax label). Lots of stuff on Rather Interesting..., too. I was just listening to Kid606 -- PS I Love You, that's typical...

Also, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Vidna Obmana, Vangelis, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Tangerine Dream, Lull/Mick Harris/et al, Ozric Tentacles, Jean-Michel Jarre...too many to remember them all...

EDIT: Oops, I meant "PS You Love Me" by Kid606.

Jan 29, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #19 of 42
"Space Rock"? Klaus Schultze? What's this about Dusty Chalk? I'm love "space" anything (Floyd, Tangerine Dream). Will this music fit the bill? Hmm. Nevermind. Off to Audiogalaxy to find out.
biggrin.gif

"BOOF" There and back...

"Dark Side of the Moog" "A Saucerful of Ambience" "The Wizard of Doz" "Wish You were There". Now I can't wait to hear this guy.

Jan 29, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
Also, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Vidna Obmana, Vangelis, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Tangerine Dream, Lull/Mick Harris/et al, Ozric Tentacles, Jean-Michel Jarre...too many to remember them all...

Glad you reminded Porcupine Tree too, their earlier stuff is really so trippy, so spacey, so cool.... And forgot to mention Ozric Tentacles on my previous answer, some of their stuff is also very spacey indeed.

Jan 29, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #21 of 42
Some suggestions:

Love Spirals Downward - Any

Slowdive - Soulvaki

Mira - Apart

Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

Cool 7

Best headphone music award goes to:

The Verbrilli Sound - Many Coloured Butterflies

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #22 of 42
Some more...

Demetrio -- how could we both have forgotten Godspeed You Black Emperor! Doh! And a lot from that second disc you sent me could serve very well in this thread. (I'll look into why you couldn't send me an email -- my ISP has been playing around with blocking spam-based subnets -- I might have to have them exclude me entirely, as you are not my only international friend and/or business associate.) And yeah, Voyage 34 (by Porcupine Tree) could be one of the trippiest space rock albums ever.

franktalk -- YEAH! Slowdive! Just For A Day is one of my favourite albums of all time to relax to. Guaranteed to lower my heartrate.

Which reminds me of some other atmospheric type bands: Seefeel, later Talk Talk (Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden).

Philip Glass -- Glassworks, Koyaanisqatsi and Einstein on the Beach.

In The Nursery (later stuff, early stuff is more militaristic), esp. Hindle Wakes.

Jan 29, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #23 of 42
Any song with Nate Dogg in it. Even if you don't like hip-hop, you all should hear this guys voice, it's scary how mellow his vocal tone is. I either day dream or fall asleep listening to him.
BTW, I got my Head-Fi alias from his new album and song: Music&Me.
biggrin.gif

I also like Lisa Gerrard.

But I also agree with Mac, I can forget everything when listening to any one of my CDs. I'll either get extremely relaxed(meditation), or start moving to the music without any thoughts.

Jan 29, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
I don't know, I found Godspeed You Black Emperor good, but just a little too much. I could never really lose myself to them.

You probably haven't heard F# A# (infinity) -- I find it a much more "patient" album than Lift your Skinny fists like antennae....

Which reminds me: Third Eye Foundation. Ghost is awesome, as is everything else he's done (You Guys Kill Me, etc.).

Jan 29, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
.....Alison Krauss does it for more me.

I'll second that Alison Krauss recommendation!

Space out?.....Pops in Space series: music from Star Wars, Star Trek, Battle Star Galactica, Superman (well he did make the earth spin backwards
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back