What music do you space out to?
Jan 28, 2002 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
There is some music that just takes me right away. Music that's almost hypnotic. What bands put you in a musical rapture that let you lose yourself? Folk? Trance? New Age? Classical? Yanni? (Did I say, Yanni?! Yikes!)

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 42
anything with good female vox like Loreena McKennitt and Tracy Hitchtings put me in wonderland in no time
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
anything with good female vox like Loreena McKennitt and Tracy Hitchtings put me in wonderland in no time
smily_headphones1.gif

Get the "Barbra Streisand Album" and "The Second Barbra Streisand Album".

They were reissued, should still be available.

Barbra before "they" took the edge off her voice, made her more "civilized", "Commercial".

I don't think there has ever been or will be singing like that. It was recorded in the early 60's, but the raw power of her voice, the talent God gave. If you like female vocals, you really owe it to yourself.

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 42
"Hallucinogen - Spiritual Antiseptic" really takes me far away to a beach under the right circumstances (high volume, closed eyes...). Just me, the music and the sea... gives me the feeling of really being there.

Some music that is hypnotic in another way would be Schranz, which is very, very repetitive, german techno. Try something from "Crhis Liebing" to get an idea of what Schranz soulds like (he kind of gave the term it's meaning).

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 42
Not any specific genre for me, I can recall lots of bands/artists from diverse genres like Prog, Ambient, New Age, Folk, etc., that can take me away. Some few examplers: Porcupine Tree (their earlier stuff, especially), Sigur Rós, Bartz, Jade Warrior, The Enid, Pete Bardens, Jeremy, Tangerine Dream, Popol Vuh, Shadowfax, October Project, Clannad, Iona, Alesini & Andreoni, Eris Pluvia, Dead Can Dance, Terje Rypdal, Ketil Bjornstad, Lanvall, Gandalf (the Austrian multi-instrumentalist), Vangelis, Mike Oldfield, Ray Lynch, Deuter, Maire Brennan, Enya, Kitaro, Loreena McKennitt, Bill Douglas, Nightnoise, Mannheim Steamroller, Marcus Viana, among others.

Jan 29, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 42
Pink Floyd - always a good choice. Favs include Echoes on "Meddle", Us and Them on Dark Side of the Moon.

Jan 29, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 42
I usually use one of four CD's to help put me to sleep. They usually will put me out before the CD ends.

1) "Summer Rain". 60 minutes of rainfall on a New England porch, in the country. Yep. Just rain.

2) Mozart's Clarinet Quartets.

3) Yo Yo Ma's "Simply Baroque" cd.

4) Rimsky-Korsakov's (composer) "Scherehezade"

And when I used to get drunk alot, rock and roll, especially
Doors, "Best of Cream", and Bryan Ferry's "Boys and Girls".

redface.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 11:18 AM Post #15 of 42
Yes, "Echoes" from Pink Floyd's album "Meddle" that always works.
biggrin.gif

Jerry Garcia's guitar solo from "Tennessee Jed" on the album "Europe 72" does the same thing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back