What Military Branch Are/Were You In?
Feb 3, 2003 at 1:16 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
How does one get into the special forces (such as navy seals, green berets, etc.)? do you have to be a marine and get noticed, and then go through special training? i saw part of a documentary on seal training once... that looked pretty intense. unfortunately i didn't see how the whole process of being selected for it occurs (or is it open try-outs?)

Basicaly, it is an open tryout sort of thing. You can sign up through your recruiter or, they ask in boot camp if anyone is interested in the SEALS and then go from there. The thing is you have to be pursuing a qualified rate (Job). I was an Air Traffic Controller. They don't take Air Traffic Controllers in the SEAL program, I would have had to change my rate. Looking back I'm glad I didn't...Whaen I was 19 the SEALS sounded like a great deal, all that action and danger...now that I'm 36, I'm glad I went another way
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 1:41 PM Post #32 of 52
I'd be in the airforce, or the SAS.
me, Clark also canceled some unbelievably cheap ex-USAF F16s.
So now you have to bum off us.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Any military folks out there? I myself spent some time in the Army at Ft. Bragg jumping out of planes and such.

LIKEWISE!

Well,.....I only went to Benning and did my 5, then did my other 6 on Texas DZ and Phantom DZ @ Ft. Hood, Tx while I was in.
smily_headphones1.gif
We were so short on funding, that they only let us jump once a quarter,......JUST enough for us to keep our jump-pay. bleh!
frown.gif

8yrs in the army. Got out in '00 as an E-5, as an EPLRS NCS Operator (Commo)
wink.gif

"You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us."

(I know,.....corny) LOL

Feb 3, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #34 of 52
US Navy, aviation electronics technician.

Joined on April Fool's Day 1987.
Released Holloween 1996.

Weird dates to have on your DD214, but I didn't plan it that way.

Feb 3, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #35 of 52
Wow what a well-timed thread 'cause I'm joining the Army!

Shipping off to basic at Ft. Benning on Feb. 28th, with Officer Candidate School starting on May 3rd.

Any of you guys have some good advice?

Feb 4, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
Well, I signed the enlistment paperwork for the Navy back in September of last year but am not going to boot camp until early March this year. I'm going into the Nuclear Field. Yep, I'm a geek all the way around
smily_headphones1.gif

My brother was a Nuke. Before there was room for him in school, he had to go through a bad time in the fleet. Then the school was absolute grueling. Not easy. Worse then most universities, as far as difficulty goes. Then he was on a sub.

Never used his training once he got "out".

Feb 4, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #37 of 52
Personally, I probably won't join any branch of any military voluntarily.

You are bashing the Coast Guard a lot. And yet, the most selective establishment of higher education in the entire country, with less than 10% acceptance rates, is the US Coast Guard Academy.

Feb 4, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by yage
Wow what a well-timed thread 'cause I'm joining the Army!

Shipping off to basic at Ft. Benning on Feb. 28th, with Officer Candidate School starting on May 3rd.

Any of you guys have some good advice?

Congrats Man,I am so glad to hear that you have chosen to serve.What will be your MOS?Yeah I know guys will be calling you Sir,but in what capacity.

This is a big step but one I'm sure you are prepared to take.I think you will make an excellent officer and I'm proud to say that I know you.

Hey,look who's bashing the Coast Guard.Not some trolls,but guys who have actually served and know better than what some stat says.The Coast Guard performs a vital job but has long been considered the branch of the armed forces with the most screw-offs.Do you remember those pics of a few years ago with the four Guards posing with the topless girls on Ice-t's yacht?How about that video of the guys pissing off the side of the deck?These are the facts,opinions may vary.

Feb 4, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #39 of 52
Hey Fred,

I don't know what my branch will be, but my top four choices I listed were Infantry, Armor, Military Intelligence, and Combat Engineer.

I'm sure it'll be a helluva lot of fun once the Drills find out I'm an officer candidate.

Feb 4, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #40 of 52
Does being sort of a bodyguard and later National Security Analist count? I learned to use Uzi's and jumped from helicopters and planes a couple times. But it got too draining and when into political analysis and social issues.

Feb 4, 2003 at 5:32 PM Post #41 of 52
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/29/gul...ard/index.html

My cousin just got sent out with the ships in that report - if he dies, at least the majority of small-minded Americans on this forum won't think it was for his country, since the CG isn't a real military service.

What part of it is not real? War is war, and death is death, but some small-minded idiot behind a keyboard has declared that your sacrifice will not count.

What??
confused.gif
mad.gif

Feb 4, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/29/gul...ard/index.html

My cousin just got sent out with the ships in that report - if he dies, at least the majority of small-minded Americans on this forum won't think it was for his country, since the CG isn't a real military service.

What part of it is not real? War is war, and death is death, but some small-minded idiot behind a keyboard has declared that your sacrifice will not count.

What??
confused.gif
mad.gif

I don't mean to belittle in any way the importance of any US Armed Forces Personnel.The choice to serve is always a difficult and dangerous one and is honorable in every way.I'm not sitting behind a keyboard making blanket statements about things which I know nothing about.I have seen the Guard in action and know what it is capable of.I don't discount the service of your cousin in any way.I am sorry if you were offended.

Feb 4, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #43 of 52
I'm not sorry for inter-service slander, it's all a big joke, however I feel sorry for people who take offense to such little things. Also, how was my my previous post thread crapping?

Feb 5, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #44 of 52
Well if no one sees anything wrong with this kind of small-minded thinking, then that's your loss.

I feel bad for you. I'm not being sarcastic, and I'm not driven by anger or anything, I just do. It's sad if you honestly can't see what's wrong with labeling an entire group of people. It takes very little brain-power to think like that.

I wasn't offended, but you should remember that when you make blanket statements, especially online, it shows in inability to think outside yourself and your small world.

Remember, there are people behind the computer screens. You newbies (people who only started using the net after the www) have a tendancy to forget that.

Feb 5, 2003 at 10:02 AM Post #45 of 52
I'm in the Army. In Korea. In the cold.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm only a lowly PV2, and my MOS is 13R-- field artillery radar operator. But I mosly spend my time cleaning up stuff and moving boxes from one place to another. The military ain't action packed everyday, though there are times when I can't see myself doing anything else (like actually doing my job in a training excercise).

I was able to enlist for only 2 years, and that even included basic and training. I say if you can find a deal like that, go for it. If you like the service, stay in.

The Coast Guard is every bit as important as the army, navy, marines, air force. Heck, I was even thinking about joining the CG
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back