What Makes Headphones Desirable?
Dec 30, 2009 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ttnaboface

New Head-Fier
Reply with reasons or specific features that make headphones desirable to you. Whether it be anything as general as "comfortable" or specific to certain features...feel free to share.

For Example,
Is it the high definition sound?
Is it the convenience of mobility?
What makes a pair of headphones comfortable?

The audio community is a strong community that is not afraid to share opinions or personal experiences, so dont hold back when/if you reply.

Speak your mind

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 29
I listen to speakers when I need some ambiance during office tasks/running about the house. Number one reason for my headphones, however, is for the extasy that wisps its way into my head. I don't know some headphone companies get away with it, cause its suppose to be illegal, but I'm not asking questions! Its just fan-tastic!

Basically I like to get into my music like Carter Pewterschmidt from Family Guy:
YouTube - Carter Pewterschmidt - Walk Like an Egyptian

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 29
Headphones are compact and convenient. It's also possible to switch between several headphones during a listening session.

I also like the variety of amp options for headphones. Speakers are a little tougher because they're more difficult to drive and you can't really switch up amps the way you can with headphones.

With headphones, I can go with solid state, OTL, push-pull, SET, or a hybrid. You can switch up with singledrivers and horns, but most speakers won't give you that level of flexibility. The Orion+ is limited to a multichannel solid state amp. I couldn't run them off the Moth if I wanted. But I can run a huge variety of headphones of the Moth - even the K-1000.

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 29
I get to listen to what ever level I want without bothering anyone.

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 29
Shape of my room is not suited for sound there is too much sound reflection.If I would be prepared to make treatments like sound absorbers it would take too much money and time so my k702 does the trick !

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 29
The way they present the music is very personal, I love it.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 29
1. Sound
2. Comfort
3. Reliability

Of course price makes a difference but sometimes you get lucky finding hifi for a low price.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #13 of 29
* Sound quality
* Intimacy
* Design
* Value for money
* Size / portability

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by phangtonpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get to listen to what ever level I want without bothering anyone.

yep, it's pure egoist guilty pleasure.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #15 of 29
I think people generally agree that speakers sound better (or at least can sound better) than headphones.

The thing about headphones is that they are -cheap- (or at least in comparison for equal sound quality).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back