What makes a "true" tube amp? (Aune T1 MK2 question)
Dec 1, 2014 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

domer

New Head-Fier
I recently jumped in on a drop for the Aune T1 MK2 headphone amp, and as I was reading more about it I ran across the following post on reddit (there is a very good chance that this guy posts in here too, I'm sure):

quote:

Dude, this is not a tube amp. This is a solid state amp with a decorative tube.
If there is no high voltage power supply, then it is not a tube amp.
Here, have a look at the 6922 datasheet. As you can see, it is designed to run at 100V-200V. This amp does NOT supply 100V-200V to the 6922.
Tubes have a filament, so they need a second voltage supply in addition to the the main one. But filaments only need 6V or 12V (generally, some have different requirements). The 6922 needs only 6V. So the amp provides 6V to make it light up and then solid state does all of the amplification.
It's like sticking a vacuum tube on the hood of your car, supplying 6V to make it light up, and then claiming that your car is powered by a vacuum tube. Which is just as much ******** as these phony "hybrid" amps are. Don't be a sucker. Don't buy it.

/quote

I'm a noob when it comes to what is physically happening inside of an amplifier; can anyone enlighten me as to what he means here?  Is any inexpensive 'tube amp' essentially a ripoff?

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 21
-----------give light to a dark world 

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 21
  What purpose does the tube serve?  

The Aune T1 is really two things in a box.  A DAC and a headphone amp.  The tube is part of the DAC and is fully functional in that regard.

BTW, you can use both DAC and amp together, or just one of them.  I use mine as DAC only (and do benefit from the tube).

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 21
  I recently jumped in on a drop for the Aune T1 MK2 headphone amp, and as I was reading more about it I ran across the following post on reddit (there is a very good chance that this guy posts in here too, I'm sure):

quote:

Dude, this is not a tube amp. This is a solid state amp with a decorative tube.
If there is no high voltage power supply, then it is not a tube amp.
Here, have a look at the 6922 datasheet. As you can see, it is designed to run at 100V-200V. This amp does NOT supply 100V-200V to the 6922.
Tubes have a filament, so they need a second voltage supply in addition to the the main one. But filaments only need 6V or 12V (generally, some have different requirements). The 6922 needs only 6V. So the amp provides 6V to make it light up and then solid state does all of the amplification.
It's like sticking a vacuum tube on the hood of your car, supplying 6V to make it light up, and then claiming that your car is powered by a vacuum tube. Which is just as much ******** as these phony "hybrid" amps are. Don't be a sucker. Don't buy it.

/quote

I'm a noob when it comes to what is physically happening inside of an amplifier; can anyone enlighten me as to what he means here?  Is any inexpensive 'tube amp' essentially a ripoff?

The person who wrote this is clueless. The tube you place in the T1 has a significant impact on the sound you get from the DAC portion of the T1. As was stated earlier, the amp inside the T1 is solid state. The tube in the T1 is a buffer for the DAC and basically determines the characteristics of the sound you get from the DAC. Essentially, the "better" the tube, the "better" the sound. I put better in quotes because better is subjective and depends on your tastes.

Tube amplifiers are different in design and serve a different purpose (because...they are amps). But the tubes in tube amplifiers serve the same overall purpose as a tube in a DAC like the T1. In a tube amp, the tube(s) define the characteristics that the amplifier imparts on the sound.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 21
  The tube you place in the T1 has a significant impact on the sound you get from the DAC portion of the T1. As was stated earlier, the amp inside the T1 is solid state. The tube in the T1 is a buffer for the DAC and basically determines the characteristics of the sound you get from the DAC. Essentially, the "better" the tube, the "better" the sound. I put better in quotes because better is subjective and depends on your tastes.

It's now a couple of decades since I studied electronics in depth, but to my engineering knowledge the statements by Domer seems relevant - if there is not enough voltage for the specified anode voltage it would be very hard to use the tube in any meaningful way. 

However, I'm willing to learn: can you please enlighten us how the tube is used in the circuit in a bit more technical way?  Perhaps a schematic example, including supply voltages?  :) 

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 21
It's now a couple of decades since I studied electronics in depth, but to my engineering knowledge the statements by Domer seems relevant - if there is not enough voltage for the specified anode voltage it would be very hard to use the tube in any meaningful way. 

However, I'm willing to learn: can you please enlighten us how the tube is used in the circuit in a bit more technical way?  Perhaps a schematic example, including supply voltages?  :) 

I wish I had the knowledge of or the time to learn the electrical engineering involved to give you the answer you are looking for but I don't. I've had the T1 for years and have listened to numerous tubes on it. The difference in sound is obvious. It's not like the subtleties of changing a cable on a headphone. The difference between one tube and another is so obvious that only explanation for not hearing the difference is some kind of deafness.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 21
there are some very good reasons for using (a) tube in an otherwise all solid-state piece of gear, not the least of which is that it imparts a quality to the sound that is deemed to be quite enjoyable listening experience (for the majority of listeners).

hybrid amps (usually employing a single tube in the driver stage) have gained in popularity in the last few years because they offer a taste of tube characteristics at a price that most head-fiers can afford -- i'm thinking of the cheap bravo/indeed versions, but there are hybrids that hit the 4-digit $ bracket.  in either extreme, the tube serves a decisively non-decorative purpose.

personally, i use(d) all three types of amps (ss, hybrid, all-tube) in my hp listening.

some people have suggested these books for those seeking to learn more about vacuum tube amplification:

Vacuum Tube Amplifier Basics - EJ Jurich
http://www.amazon.com/reader/1500938866?_encoding=UTF8&page=12#reader_1500938866

Inside the Vacuum Tube - John F. Rider
http://www.cc-webshop.com/Inside-the-Vacuum-Tube-AA-BKAA064.htm

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 21
I actually have a question about this, but cant seem to find an answer elsewhere. When only using the Aune T1 as a DAC to another amp, does it still use the tube? Or is it from solid state DAC out (by passing the tube bufffer)? 

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #14 of 21
The Aune DAC uses the tube.  It is the amp that is solid state.  So, if you use analog input, you are bypassing the tube.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #15 of 21
Ah, got it. Thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back