What Live concerts have you attended?
Aug 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #482 of 739
Quote:
Heading to Cake tomorrow ( August 3rd 2013 ).  The venue is at a brewery which would be great fun.

Awesome band.  I'm looking forward to Muse next month 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #483 of 739
Quote:
Awesome band.  I'm looking forward to Muse next month 
biggrin.gif

Muse is a fun concert.  Their last tour that stopped by the Oakland Arena was a blast to attend, despite being fairly far away from the stage.  

The concerts I've attended this past year:
Coheed and Cambria
Steven Wilson
Kalafina (Japanese pop/newclassical group)

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #485 of 739
Just saw Muse last night.  Cage The Elephant opened for them an interesting band.   Actually not a bad pairing.  A Kentucky band that channeled a late 60's sound.  

Muse killed, an amazing band.  Matthew Bellamy's vocal abilities I took as a given, what surprised me was his instrumental skills.  Great light show and the stage set, that looked plain, exploded into color. Chris Wolstenholme is one of the finest bass players I've ever seen, on a level with John Entwhistle and Chris Squire.  Dominic Howard on drums was outstanding.  

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #486 of 739
  Just saw Muse last night.  Cage The Elephant opened for them an interesting band.   Actually not a bad pairing.  A Kentucky band that channeled a late 60's sound.  

Muse killed, an amazing band.  Matthew Bellamy's vocal abilities I took as a given, what surprised me was his instrumental skills.  Great light show and the stage set, that looked plain, exploded into color. Chris Wolstenholme is one of the finest bass players I've ever seen, on a level with John Entwhistle and Chris Squire.  Dominic Howard on drums was outstanding.  

I am so jealous 0_0 they're at the top of my list for artists to see live, but the closest show to me sold out of tickets in front of the stage before I could make arrangements to go. :'( 

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #487 of 739
Iron Maiden again, with Alice Cooper opening, last year.  That was a phenomenal show.

Opeth again back in April.

Concert scene has been pretty dry for my tastes lately, but going to see Steve Vai on November 8th for the first time.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #488 of 739

I am so jealous 0_0 they're at the top of my list for artists to see live, but the closest show to me sold out of tickets in front of the stage before I could make arrangements to go. :'( 

I've seen a lot of bands live, Muse is right up there with the best of them.  One of the best if not the best contemporary band I have seen live in the last 10 years. Muse was much better live than on record.  We were up in the stands when we saw them, the GA tickets were sold out.

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #489 of 739
The Lumineers in Nashville, TN at the Ryman auditorium.

Another band that is better live than on album.  They brought a lot of energy.  Perfect band for the Ryman.  They took advantage of the superior acoustic environment.  At one point, just as Mumford and Sons did last year, they flipped off the sound system and let the acoustics of the theater take over.  My one complaint only 1 and 1/2 hours on stage.  Even if there are two decent warmup acts how about throwing in some covers.

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #490 of 739
Some I remember....

Steppenwolf
Journey
REO Speed Wagon
Cheap Trick
Boston
Black Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult
Yes
Phunk Junkeez
Fishbone
GWAR
Dr. John
L7
Insane Clown Posse
REM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
G. Love and Special Sauce
Butthole Surfers
Elvez
Silversun Pickups
Luscious Jackson
Marcia Ball
BB King
The Urge
Mr. Bungle
Sturgeon General
Rev. Horton Heat
Heart
B52s
Talking Heads
The Time
Run DMC
The Mummies
Bobby Blue Bland

and others I don't recall off the cuff...

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #492 of 739
John Mayer tonight! 

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #493 of 739
"I have the same problem with recalling all the concerts I've seen.  I'm still convinced I don't have them all down."-RUMAY408

Me either. My first concert was at about age 14. That is 35 years ago now.. So many of them were seen in the "foggy" 70s-80s, too...

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #494 of 739
  "I have the same problem with recalling all the concerts I've seen.  I'm still convinced I don't have them all down."-RUMAY408

Me either. My first concert was at about age 14. That is 35 years ago now.. So many of them were seen in the "foggy" 70s-80s, too...

"Foggy" for me as well, especially the college years, cheap decent shows, Jimmy Buffet $2, but missed Van Halen for $5 on their 1st tour (I had to work that night) damn. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #495 of 739
I've been on a really outrageous concert tear lately. I've been saving money (and co-worker/boss goodwill) for a couple of years in anticipation of John Zorn's 60th birthday concerts... I'd already been to a couple of events earlier this year, but September 2013 was The Big One for us Zorn fans. I spent about two weeks in NYC going to his shows. A Masada Marathon (13 bands, 4.5 hours), two nights playing live film scores at the Anthology Film Archives (plus a Q&A where they showed all kinds of ultra-rare stuff like the Nike commercials he scored that were never aired), a solo pipe organ concert, an "all-star orchestra" concert at the Miller playing all of his orchestral works, a chamber music marathon (3.5 hours IIRC), a game pieces marathon (8 game pieces including some not played in many years). Moonchild with Mike Patton and John Medeski. The Song Project with Mike Patton, Sofia Rei and Jesse Harris. And the crowning gem of the whole year, I think: 10.5 hours at the Metropolitan Museum - every hour on the hour, a different performance in a different gallery. Starting with a trumpet fanfare in the Great Hall when we walked in at 10AM and ending at 8:30PM after another solo pipe organ concert on the Appleton organ in the Arms & Armor room. It was a spectacular event! I did the entire 10.5 hours (plus half an hour waiting in line to get in) and didn't even manage one meal break. Epic.

In between all of those, I managed to see Matana Roberts (SUCH a good performance!); Bill Frisell with Sam Amidon, Jason & Alicia Moran; Marc Ribot with several different lineups; Sylvie Courvoisier and Evan Parker; and the premiere of an Anthony Braxton composition by the Tri-Centric Orchestra. And... the Dresden Dolls, Jason Webley, Secret Chiefs 3, Goblin, Les Rhinoceros... a pop-up street piano concert... oh, and a four-day music festival.

This is all in the last six-ish weeks. I gave up trying to write all of them up in my blog, because the only spare time I had was the middle of the night and eventually I needed to get some sleep.
biggrin.gif
  I did write about most of the more important ones. And I just started writing for another music website, so I've got even less spare time now... eek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back