What Live concerts have you attended?
Dec 31, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #166 of 739
Has this thread really been going for over 3 years? I only just noticed it.

I did a summary of most of the major gigs I've seen on my last.fm journal. Ranges from Queen in '84 through to Eels and Flaming Lips this year.

These days I would prefer to go to smaller, local gigs, but there's a few people I'd travel and pay more to see. I decided against seeing Muse play the new Wembley Stadium. I saw a couple of gigs at the old one and it doesn't seem that attractive, even though I'd like to see them.

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #167 of 739
First half of 2006
  1. Ivo Papasov and his Wedding band -- crazy jazz influenced Bulgarian/Balkan folk music. Highly recommended
  2. Salif Keita -- one of the few musicians that seemed to me really having fun performing.
  3. John Scofield playing Ray Charles -- pretty standard fare.
  4. Paquito D'Rivera with the New York Voices -- the clarinet is good but the Voices are better.

Between mid 2006 til now, counting only non classical:
  1. Madredeus -- magical, magical. After hearing them I think my life is complete.
  2. INSENS by Ryuichi Sakamoto/Alvo Noto -- electroambient set performed on piano and iBooks. Not nearly getting my money's worth, but Sakamoto's metroneme-perfect piano playing is still enjoyable.

And that's it, unfortunately.

Jan 1, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #168 of 739
Quote:

Originally Posted by fractus2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thread Boze. Here are some that I recall.

Elton John
Yvonne Eliman (opened for E.J.)
Grand Funk Railroad
Leon Russell
J. Geils Band
Peter Frampton
Gary Wright (opened for P.F.)
Toots and the Maytals
Gladys Knight (Vegas, only one Pip)
Santana
America
Tower of Power
War
Seawind
Society of Seven

Toots & the maytals (quite diffrent from all the other's in this list)!
How was this gig?
I saw them live 2 years ago and got disapointed... i was expeting so much more energy from Toots Hibert, the soul side of ska.

here's a list from those i can remeber

Iggy Pop
Toy dolls
Santana
Mark knopfler
Pink floyd
Madness
Jimmy Cliff
Manu chao
Metalica
Sepultura
Long beach dub all stars
Asian dub foundation
Skatalites
Jamaican all stars
Emir Kusturika
The Slackers
Prodigy
Ramstein

And the list goes much MUCH further, specialy in punk....
Since i go to many summer festivals, i get to watch many gigs
Definitly the one i loved the most was this year when i got to watch Madness perform, and run to another stage where Jimmy Cliff was playing.

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #169 of 739
Creed
The Eagles
John Mellencamp
Roger Waters
Ben Folds

Bonnaroo 2006!
-Radiohead (the main reason I went.. after waiting 15 hours I managed to get 2nd row center!)
-Death Cab for Cutie
-Ben Folds
-Beck
-Bright Eyes
-Elvis Costello

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #170 of 739
Here are the shows I saw in 2006 in roughly chronological order (all in the Washington DC/Baltimore area):

Thee Maximalists
The Avett Brothers
Make a Rising
The Vandermark 5
Charming Hostess
The Claudia Quintet
Animal Collective and Storsveit Nix Noltes
Annie
Isis, Dalek & Zombi
Mogwai
Rashanim
Satoko Fujii/Natsuki Tamura
Bartok String Quartet
Denman Maroney/Reuben Radding/Jack Wright
Tim Berne/Baikida Carroll/Michael Formanek/Tom Rainey
Woodenhead
Gjallarhorn
Nels Cline/Glenn Kotche
Carl Grubbs
Yo La Tengo
Massive Attack
Wilco
Mark Feldman/Sylvie Courvoisier
Tord Gustavsen Trio
Maja Ratkje/POING

Jan 3, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #172 of 739
In order:

Death From Above 1979
Metric
Billy Talent
Rise Against (yuck)
Alexisonfire
The Mars Volta (yuck)
System of a Down
Autolux
Queens of the Stone Age
Nine Inch Nails
Matthew Good (solo acoustic)
Behemoth (yuck)
Terror (yuck)
GWAR
Cannibal Corpse
In Flames
As I Lay Dying (yuck)
Tool
HORSE the band
All That Remains (yuck)
Dragonforce (yuck)

Jan 3, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #173 of 739
my list of shows attended in 2006:

AWESOME-O:
icon14.gif

Joanna Newsom
Tina Dico
Melissa McClelland
Metric
Sia
Ladytron (w/ CSS)
Cat Power
Amy Millan
KT Tunstall

DISSAPPOINTING:
icon13.gif

Camera Obscura (sorry, a 3 1/2 hr wait from the doors opening to the FIRST ACT is unacceptable)

missed out on:

Jenny Lewis w/ the Watson Twins
Matt Costa (w/ the Watson Twins)
Zero 7
Vashti Bunyan
Sufjan Stevens
Cat Power (the first time around)
Sarah Slean
Madeleine Peyroux (w/ Vienna Teng)
Wailin' Jennys
Amy Millan (2nd time around -- granted that it was the same day as the second coming of Cat Power)

Jan 4, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #174 of 739
Been to lots of concerts, too many to name here but the two most recent were:

Daft Punk live in Dublin (August 2006)
Emm Gryner live in Toronto (November 2006)

The Daft Punk concert is quite possibly the best gig i've ever been to in my life. Seriously, it was amazing.

Oh and I saw Duran Duran in 2001, they were pretty good live too. I think it was not long after that gig I saw Sepultura live on their last UK tour date that year, hell of a good gig that was too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #175 of 739
>> June 27, 2001
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia Tour 2001 - Halle Tony Garnier, Lyon, France
>> July 25, 2002
Mark Knopfler & Friends - Charity Show - Shepherds Bush Empire, London, England
>> April 3, 2005
Mark Knopfler - Shangri-La Tour 2005 - Palacio de Deportes, Madrid, Spain
>> A number of independant music festivals in Sevilla, Spain

That first Mark Knopfler concert I saw was just mind-blowing. I remember losing it completely and screaming my head off at some point during Telegraph Road. That song is just PERFECT.

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #176 of 739
Too many to even consider listing, so I'll stick to the bigger guns (non-local talent and exclusive of any symphonies or small Jazz venues):

Ween (x3)
Bad Religion (x5)
Death By Stereo (x3)
Nicotine
Wolfmother
Illuminati
Bjork
U-ziq
Orb
Rascalz
Philosopher Kings
Good Riddance
Ben Folds Five (x2)
Fleming and John
Dinosaur Jr.
Weezer
Spacehog
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Protest the Hero
Propagandhi (x2)
Sloan
Beastie Boys
Biz Markie
The Matadors (x5)
The Creepshow
White Cowbell Oklahoma
Maximum R&R
Big Jeezus Truck
Tool
Rage Against the Machine
The Slackers
SNFU

My ears are much better off than my Grey Matter... I know there's a lot more I'm forgetting, but here's a good sample.
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #177 of 739
Some of my more memorable concerts:

First concert: James Taylor, early/mid 70's
Seals and Croft (1975?)
Aerosmith (1975)

(My 21 YO niece went to see Aerosmith just this past summer. Where does the time go?)

Saw Queen four times. Always a great show, but I did like their earlier stuff much better.

World Series of Rock: Cleveland Stadium. Bob Seeger, Foghat, J. Giles Band, Peter Frampton, and another act I don't recall. Huge show, perfect weather. (1975? Around that time, anyway.)

Led Zeppelin, April 28, 1977. The date is etched in my mind. By all accounts, it wasn't one of their better tours, but it's still one of the two or three best shows I've seen.

Yes (opening with Donovan, of all people). Good show, crappy seats. It was an in-the-round show, and we were on the wong side of the round.
frown.gif

Eagles (Hotel California tour)
Inxs - 1988?

Another very memorable show was seeing Ron Wood and the New Barbarians in Chicago, at the Amphitheatre. (1978) Lousy place for a show, poor acoustics and many bad seats (obstructed views, etc.) Fantastic show, though. Ron Wood and Keith Richards, Stanley Clarke on bass, and Junior Wells as special guest. Among my top three.

Heart, with Ian Hunter - Chicago. Another Amphitheatre show. Floor seats, about halfway back. OK show, nothing to write home about.

Tina Turner, with Wang Chung - Chicago (1987) TT is an amazing performer. Great show, excellent seats.

Quite a few live jazz shows. I lived in Chicago for a number of years, and did professional photography on the side during that time. I regularly shot the Chicago Jazz Festival, when it was five nights. Five acts appeared each night. Highlights: Cab Calloway, Winton Marsalis, Bradford Marsalis, George Benson, Sarah Vaughn, Ray Charles, Stephane Grappelli, Jack McDuff, Woody Herman, Art Blakey, and literally too many others to even name. And the best seats ever - the shooters pit at the foot of the stage
icon10.gif

Steely Dan, Buffalo, NY. (1993) I never expected to see these guys play live, so this was a must-see event. Awsome show, OK seats.

Cheap Trick: They were playing at the NY State Fair a couple years ago. I have a Rick Nielsen guitar pick from the show. He playes like three notes, and flings the pick into the crowd.

Michael Hedges. I saw him twice, 1994 and 1996. The first time, he had Michael Manring on bass with him, and he did a lot of his keyboard stuff, which I'm not real crazy about. The venue wasn't real good, small club, everyone moshed together (no seating, except at the bar).

The second time (November 1996), was the exact opposite. Smaller club, with seating only. No crowds, no elbows and trying to see over heads. We had fifth row center, and the show was all guitar. (I really love his harp guitar work.) Probably the best show I've ever seen, or could hope to see. I bought a CD at the show (Oracle), and had it autographed, which I had never done before.

Sadly, he died in a car accident almost exactly one year later.

Richard Thompson, maybe five or so years ago. Good show, small club.

Sting, with Lyell Lovett. Lyle blew Sting away. He had his Large Band, and they were smokin'!

(I think this is my longest post ever. Pardon my bandwidth
icon10.gif
)

Jan 5, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #178 of 739
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes (opening with Donovan, of all people). Good show, crappy seats. It was an in-the-round show, and we were on the wong side of the round.
frown.gif

I would give my left nut for a chance to have seen The Hurdy Gurdy Man.
frown.gif

I wonder if he still tours... I know he still writes, though I haven't heard any of his contemporary stuff.

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #179 of 739
Quote:

I wonder if he still tours...

I seem to remember Donovan playing in Toronto just a couple of years ago ... although that couple could be 4 or 5 ... I have trouble with time perception these days. Two old friends of mine wrote, directed, produced, and edited a movie called "Size of Watermelons" a few years ago. Donovan's daughter has an acting part in it and his son acts and sings with his punk band as well.

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #180 of 739
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seem to remember Donovan playing in Toronto just a couple of years ago ... although that couple could be 4 or 5 ... I have trouble with time perception these days. Two old friends of mine wrote, directed, produced, and edited a movie called "Size of Watermelons" a few years ago. Donovan's daughter has an acting part in it and his son acts and sings with his punk band as well.

I think he just played down here in the last few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back