What kind of tube (speaker) amp drives the Stax transformer box the best?
Mar 18, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #33 of 45
Hmmm a 1:50 step up...yummy.... flea watt SETs/DHTs here we come.
ph34r.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #34 of 45
Wow, 1:50... I was thinking I'd want something in the 1:25-1:30 range for my big Pass amp, but this is probably more in line with what's in the SRD-7/Pro... but Plitron is in Canada so I guess I will give them a go! Will do so within the next couple of weeks. My ideal setup would be to butcher the Illusion and my SRD-7 (normal bias) for their respective supplies so I can have both outputs, and put the whole rig in a new case...

Would be nice to know the step up ratio of the transformers in the stock SRD-7/Pro ..........

@AudioCats: I will rip out the transfos in the Illusion tomorrow - my day is PACKED today.....

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, 1:50... I was thinking I'd want something in the 1:25-1:30 range for my big Pass amp, but this is probably more in line with what's in the SRD-7/Pro... but Plitron is in Canada so I guess I will give them a go! Will do so within the next couple of weeks. My ideal setup would be to butcher the Illusion and my SRD-7 (normal bias) for their respective supplies so I can have both outputs, and put the whole rig in a new case...

Would be nice to know the step up ratio of the transformers in the stock SRD-7/Pro ..........

@AudioCats: I will rip out the transfos in the Illusion tomorrow - my day is PACKED today.....

ratio in the srd 6, 7 and pro is 1:25 .

I've been in discussion with sowter here in the uk about a couple of serious trafos capable of 1200v p-p from a 30w amp with a flat curve from 10hz to 25khz. These things are big i.e. 10kg each. When funds allow ill be ordering them. welcome to the world of the SRD XXX
smile.gif

I'm currently building a self biasing pro energizer from parts salvaged from an srd 6 sb with new boards for bias voltage and direct coupling to the amp. Not sure which amp to go for but this will be an all in one amp and energizer solution using either an amp kit from 41hz.com or something similar. I quite like the idea of going battery powered for the amp or building a better srd x but cant find scematics for it.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good links Kai, any idea how much the Plitrons are ?

You're welcome!
I will bring the greetings further on to those who shared it with me earlier on.
smile.gif

I have been collecting information about this for a long time, as I want to go that route. But its so far not gone any further than to the thinking-board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ratio in the srd 6, 7 and pro is 1:25 .

I've been in discussion with sowter here in the uk about a couple of serious trafos capable of 1200v p-p from a 30w amp with a flat curve from 10hz to 25khz. These things are big i.e. 10kg each. When funds allow ill be ordering them. welcome to the world of the SRD XXX
smile.gif

That would be killer!
Certainly would need a killer casing for those transformers though, and I am sure they wont be cheap..

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #37 of 45
Oublie, I am genuinely interested in a cost/practicality no object transformer for stat cans, so what you are pursuing with Sowter sounds very interesting. Anyone else interested in such a transformer? Maybe we could get some economy of scale going?

Have you guys talked price at all? I imagine around 500 quid for the pair?

Time to get serious as tony's SR-X Mk.III/Pros are going to be MIIIIIINE!!!

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Oublie, I am genuinely interested in a cost/practicality no object transformer for stat cans, so what you are pursuing with Sowter sounds very interesting. Anyone else interested in such a transformer? Maybe we could get some economy of scale going?

Have you guys talked price at all? I imagine around 500 quid for the pair?

Time to get serious as tony's SR-X Mk.III/Pros are going to be MIIIIIINE!!!

here the info direct from Brian - director of the company

"We could do 30W 10 Hz to 25 kHz 8 ohms to 1200v p-p but the transformer would be very large; Size “T” 10 kg price XXX UKPounds each.

The Mumetal idea would give a better bandwidth but at nowhere near this voltage.

Best regards

Brian Sowter
SOWTER AUDIO TRANSFORMERS (E A Sowter Ltd) The Boatyard, Cullingham Road,IPSWICH, IP1 2EG England Web site: SOWTER AUDIO TRANSFORMERS
SALES: sales@sowter.co.uk
Tel: +44(0)1473 252794 Fax: +44(0)1473 236188
SUPPORT: support@sowter.co.uk
Tel: +44(0)1962 620135 Fax: +44(0)870 458 1700

"

Price is a lot less than some of you think.

Mar 21, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #42 of 45
yeah, £290 + vat @15% each So not a bad price. When funds allow ill build this beast as my hunt for a 717 has gone into stalemate and a bhse is the only substitute i'll take for the 717.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

First you have to be committed to slightly raping your uber-coveted SRD-7/Pro (check!)
Second you pop the top off, desolder/snip the yellow/black leads that go from the board to the transformers
Third you wire 'em straight up to your amp terminals! Yellow is positive, black negative... test to see which is left channel and which is right.
I'd say it's 92.5% as good as the Illusion in this configuration.

Sorry to bump old thread, but I think I would like to try this. Could FE or anyone else who understands this, please try to spell it out in simpler terms (or photos would help!).

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #44 of 45
Pretty self explanatory if you do a search for the SRD-7 schematic. All that's being done is bypassing the selector switch and wiring the transformer primaries directly to the input.

If you're not comfortable with schematics, you shouldn't be attempting something like this, from both a safety perspective and potentially damaging your SRD-7/Pro.

A big DHT amp driving an SRD-7 actually pretty good. Gives a nice body and warmth to the midrange that is often a little cool and thin on other Stax rigs. Mikeymad brings a Woo 300B/SR-7 rig to the NorCal meets. Very nice. One of my favorites, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back