What kind of tube (speaker) amp drives the Stax transformer box the best?
Nov 19, 2008 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

AudioCats

Headphoneus Supremus
My burning question of the day: I supposed many people are using tube amps to drive their Stax boxes, so, what kind of tube amp does the Stax box prefer? push/pull? SET? and if single ended, parafeed or series? If you have 1st-hand experience please give some insights, I am sure I am not the only one who is interested....
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

(I suppose tube amp topics are high-end enough to for this forum
wink_face.gif
)

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My burning question of the day: I supposed many people are using tube amps to drive their Stax boxes, so, what kind of tube amp does the Stax box prefer? push/pull? SET? and if single ended, parafeed or series? If you have 1st-hand experience please give some insights, I am sure I am not the only one who is interested....
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

wink_face.gif
)

JonL really likes his Almarro A205A Mk2, and Tako_Tsubo likes his Dared MP5. Oh, and Krmathis really likes his RWA 30.2, but I don't know if it is tube or not.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

wink_face.gif
)

The answer will change depending on which 'stat you're powering, just like in the speaker world. In fact, the plus/minus of each amplifier topology as talked about in the speaker world also applies here. As such, there can't be concensus which tube topology will be "best."
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm partial to single-ended topologies myself, but well-made solid-state, gainclone, and "class D" amps can sound *very* nice, too.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 45
I did have the SQ-84 Tube amp for a while and miss it. Super duper amp for speakers, electrostats and dynamic headphones. It is currently out of my price range but man would I look hard at Quest for sound. They make solid gear for affordable prices.

I am getting a pop pulse t40i for my srd-7. It is a bit weird. The T70i is the newer version. I got my 40 for $140 shipped. It will be interesting to see how it works.

The T70i combines the high fidelity of Class-AB amplifiers with the sound and precision of Class-D technology. Pop Pulse has created an amplifier that packs a pre-amp gain stage using the LM4562 Op-Amp and a Class-D power amp utilising the Tripath TA2022 chip, all into a neat little case.

Pop Pulse T70i

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 45
I was just checking out an Almarro amp...
But JonL is correct in tailoring the sound around which Stax earspeaker you are using.
I wanted to bring up the mids and high end in my Stax Sigma unit, as I have a SR717 for all my pro bias units. As the general rule, was that the srd-# units would recess the detail of the upper mids and treble...the main assumption would be a good SS amp. I have tried a number including my HT 7 channel Emotiva...the mids were still lacking in detail tho much better than my "warm" Carver reciever. Good match for the LP/303. The Teac surprisingly was very good in bringing out the detail of the upper end and maintaining the soundstage and bass of the Sigma, but the mids still needed help (comparing to my SR007 running off the same system) The LP's/303's got too bright for me.
Reading about gainclone amps got my interest and eventually went for the Dared MP5 clone. I had read about someone having pretty good luck with Dared vp20 tube amp also....which I would think be great for a LP/303/404.

The Dared fits the Sigma just right. Tube selection based on Elephas' thread is spot on. And the Sigmas sound very good...upped mids and good detail at the upper end...almost as good as the 007 played off of a SRM1/mk2...which is to say wow! Still keeping the great bass and the sigma soundstage. Enough that I have no interest so far in doing a Sigma/303-404 mod . And the LP's mids got pumped up too and somehow the upper LP tizz got some control. the 303's tho somehow still are not a good fit...fatiguing so far compared to the LP.
Looking forward to try some class D/H amps. av1213 should be releasing the xamps soon...Wally Underwood told me so.
regular_smile .gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and Krmathis really likes his RWA 30.2, but I don't know if it is tube or not.

Not tube...

The only tube amplifier(s) have heard with a Stax transformer are the Audion Black Shadow.
It was a really nice experience though.
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not tube...

The only tube amplifier(s) have heard with a Stax transformer are the Audion Black Shadow.
It was a really nice experience though.
biggrin.gif

lol

It looks so cute b/w those bullies!

I bet it sounded sweet.

Another question is: Does a transformer box like the SRD-7 + a really nice amp, tube or otherwise, make for a better experience than a Stax amp?

Just got my Pop Pulse in. Sounds very clean indeed. Punchy ass bass too. Smooth.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 45
The near mythical Illusion does exist and in use! I looked for one for months!

It was Elephas' thread on the Dared MP5 that got me going on trying it out.
icon10.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an old photo. I don't have the KGSS anymore, but I still have the Illusion and Dared MP-5.
smily_headphones1.gif

How does the Dared MP5/Illusion compare to your ES-1 and Aristaeus with O2 Mk2, please?

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The near mythical Illusion does exist and in use! I looked for one for months!

Yeah, and sadly its quite rare and out of production.
Too bad I did not buy a new one last year, when they were still available new for ~$600.

Oh well!
popcorn.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

How does the Dared MP5/Illusion compare to your ES-1 and Aristaeus with O2 Mk2, please?

Im very curious about this too. It looks like there's a better cost/performance ratio with the stax amps, but I already have an SRD, and if it aint broke.... (dont replace it?) (if said amp can produce equal performance) (i think thats how it goes)

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 45
never-mind, i forgot i was in the high-end forum

if it aint broke, buy whatever is more expensive and has more tubes sticking out of it

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Unfortunately, the MP5 & Illusion combo is unable to match the ES-1 or Aristaeus when driving the O2Mk2 or O2Mk1. The difference is significantly large. The sound is very full and warm, and sluggish, dark and lacking refinement, details, dynamics and separation. I don't mean to sound overly negative about the MP5 & Illusion, but it is greatly outclassed here.

Of course, the ES-1 uses eight tubes including a quad of EL34, and the Aristaeus uses six (or maybe ten, counting each ECL86 as two; the ECL86 contains a 12AX7 equivalent triode, and an EL84 equivalent pentode), versus the MP5's pair of ECC85, one cat's eye and small SS section. It isn't very fair.

I also had the chance some time ago to try a Cary 300B integrated amp with the Illusion and O2Mk1. I thought it was better than the MP5, but I didn't think it was better than the KGSS, which was the amp I had at the time.

I think it's possible that some amp + transformer box combination might sound very good, but I suspect that it is difficult to compete with the dedicated electrostatic amps, especially ones such as the ES-1 or Aristaeus. Even the KGSS, which is closer in price to the Stax amps, would be tough to beat.

Notwithstanding my comments above, I don't think that buying whatever is more expensive and has more tubes is the solution for everyone. We're all looking for good sound within our budgets. People who already have a good integrated amp or maybe even a preamp + monoblocks might be well-served by getting a Stax tranformer box. However, personally I think that a transformer box is a compromise and would prefer to use a dedicated electrostatic amp.

There's a good reason why the 3rd-party electrostatic amps are expensive and people still buy them if budget permits. They sound very good.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 45
Oh I agree that the transformer box + amp is a bit of a compromise compared to the high end dedicated offerings. I have to, especially these days(nice job with the economy greedy bastards), go with bang for the buck items. That is why I have a Lambda normal and not an 007 or Big O.

What about a modded Srd-7 with direct wired transformers? I like the sound which I have now. My Pop Pulse amp puts out some of the biggest bass I have ever heard while still being very controlled. I really need to hear a dedicated, serious setup so I can have a benchmark to judge by.

Anyone live near 24016 with something nice?

Anyway, back on subject, is tube the way to go with Stax due to their speed? Does it help make them more natural sounding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back