What kind of tube (speaker) amp drives the Stax transformer box the best?
Nov 21, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, the MP5 & Illusion combo is unable to match the ES-1 or Aristaeus when driving the O2Mk2 or O2Mk1.

Transformer/amp would be the last thing I would use when driving the O2 family anyway. Why keeping banging your head on the rock when you know which one will break first ?
smily_headphones1.gif

These $$$ electrostat amps really need to have other functionalities to appeal to a wider audience, especially speaker audiophiles. Devise a speaker output, nice preamp function, something... to justify the hideous costs.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #18 of 45
if the illusion was just $600 when available, then the transformer inside is probably not very high end at all, considering its nice case and fancy custom phone jacks probably cost quite a bit.

So far we haven't had a single 1st-hand review on a box utilizing Lundal trans. There might still be hope.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #19 of 45
Maybe I'm an idiot but I'm super happy with the rig in my sig........oh and no tubes.......
Agree on the transformers in the Illusion being less than ideal and would love to explore upgrading... LL1630/PPs the way to go?
BTW the SRD-7/Pro sounds significantly (30% IMO) better with the transformers wired up directly to the amp's speaker terminals.

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'm an idiot but I'm super happy with the rig in my sig........oh and no tubes.......
Agree on the transformers in the Illusion being less than ideal and would love to explore upgrading... LL1630/PPs the way to go?
BTW the SRD-7/Pro sounds significantly (30% IMO) better with the transformers wired up directly to the amp's speaker terminals.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to do that.

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #21 of 45
First you have to be committed to slightly raping your uber-coveted SRD-7/Pro (check!)
Second you pop the top off, desolder/snip the yellow/black leads that go from the board to the transformers
Third you wire 'em straight up to your amp terminals! Yellow is positive, black negative... test to see which is left channel and which is right.
I'd say it's 92.5% as good as the Illusion in this configuration.

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #23 of 45
here's a picture stolen from another owner...

guess i could rip mine apart to see if there are any markings on the underside of the transformers...

sv400265mo4.jpg

IMO it is not enough of a step up or maybe mine is broken as it just does not go loud enough without distorting... can only imagine how bad it would be with OIIs... i should get ahold of a voltmeter to make sure i am getting the right bias voltage...

with my hacked SRD-7/Pro, the bias needle on my Pass X250.5 never moves, indicating that we aren't leaving Class A, so no more than 35WPC and it goes STUPIDLY loud... with the esc-1001 it tickles a fair bit and distorts on loud bass notes/kick drum hits, etc...

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #24 of 45
I will be trying to post a review this weekend on the Head-direct.com Qinpu A-3 tube speaker amp, if all goes well. This is a $299 8-watt/ch amp running off two 5670 or 2C51 tubes, with screw/banana jacks, and a 1/8" output on the rear that drives headphones or can be used to drive another amp or subwoofer. And it has two inputs on the rear switchable from the front to listen to an iPod and CD player. I am using a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC to feed it from a Samsung DVD optical.

This does a fantastic job driving an SRD-7 Pro or an SRD-7 Mk2 and and O2 Mk1 and O2 Mk2, Jade, HE60, ESP950 and SR-Lambda. On top of that, it also does a great job driving my AKG K1000 out of the speaker jacks (or hooked up to the speaker jacks on the back of the SRD-7 Pro).

I have some JAN GE 5670 tubes burning in, and then will try my one set of JAN Sylvania 2C51 with it (hard to find), but even the stock chinese tubes are very decent after a couple hundred hours on them. I also have some JAN Sylvania 5670 to try someday.

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a $299 8-watt/ch amp running off two 5670 or 2C51 tubes,

The world could certainly use more good, inexpensive amp to drive transformer or K1000. Since 5670/2C51 is a small signal tube, I assume the amp is a hybrid with the tube driving SS output stage?

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

here's a picture stolen from another owner...

guess i could rip mine apart to see if there are any markings on the underside of the transformers...

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1351/sv400265mo4.jpg

IMO it is not enough of a step up or maybe mine is broken as it just does not go loud enough without distorting... can only imagine how bad it would be with OIIs... i should get ahold of a voltmeter to make sure i am getting the right bias voltage...

with my hacked SRD-7/Pro, the bias needle on my Pass X250.5 never moves, indicating that we aren't leaving Class A, so no more than 35WPC and it goes STUPIDLY loud... with the esc-1001 it tickles a fair bit and distorts on loud bass notes/kick drum hits, etc...

Thanks for the picture!
Might have seen it before, but in that case I have forgotten.

The Illusion ESC-1001 don't look to have much larger transformers than the SRD-7's. So perhaps that's the reason it is not much higher regarded than the Stax units? It certainly would be great to hear a well dimensioned transformer some day..

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

If anyone can help me figure out what transfos should be better, I will buy them.....

The following transformers have been suggest around here earlier.
So figure they are worth looking into.

Sowter 4342 ESL
Quote:

Sowter 4342 ESL Transformer 1:50
For use with a full range electrostatic loudspeaker. Input up to 50W at 8 ohms (20 V). 1000 V output.
Price: £150.08

Width: 98mm
Depth: 96mm
Height: 117mm

Plitron PAT 4133-ES
Quote:

Plitron PAT 4133-ES transformer 1:50
Wide Bandwidth Toroidal Step-up Transformer for electrostatic loudspeakers. Input up to 80W at 4 ohms

Width: 140mm
Depth: 140mm
Height: 66mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back