WHat kind of female (or male) singer voice is your preference ?
Sep 26, 2004 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I really love the sweet sounds of Andrea Corr (The Corrs), she has this very sweet, easy to listen, somehow sexy voice...

another one is, although different, Anita Baker... very powerful, soulful voice... if you have heard her singing before, she sounds like she can pull off any notes effortlessly.... a class of her own...

i can't stand celine dion kind of voice....

for male, definitely Ken Hirai. Very soothing voice.

Whats yours ?

Sep 26, 2004 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 25
I like sexy female vocals that are roughed up a bit by a pint or two.

Kate Rusby, Neko Case, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, Sally Ellyson of Hem, etc.

Sep 26, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #3 of 25
I listen to & enjoy many type of female singer styles, but I prefer deeper, smooth, sexy, more soulful female voices most:

k.d. Lang
Julia Fordham
Sloan Wainwright
Patti Smith
Beth Orton
Ilya (the "Bellisimo" song from the Revlon commercials with Halle Barry, etc.)

And for sweetness like porcelain, no one does it better than Ella. She was the best that ever was.

Guys voices don't really do it for me.

Sep 26, 2004 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 25
Anita Baker has an amazing soul voice!

So does Aretha. Ella's great too. I also like Sarah Vaughn, Billie Holliday and Nina Simone, Carole King, Astrud (But not Bebel) Gilberto, Erykah Badu, Lisa Shaw...Most Eva Cassidy... Tracy Thorn... Some (but not all) Joni Mitchell...

I also like: Diana Krall, Lisa Eldahl, Katie Melua, Amy Winehouse, Norah Jones, Louise Rhodes (Lamb), Roisin Murphy (Moloko), Sarah Cracknell (Saint Etienne)

Men? Louis Armstrong, Stevie Wonder, David Bowie, Jamie Cullum, Jeff Buckley, Sting, Donald Fagen (Steely Dan), Nick Drake, David Sylvian, Robert Plant, Thom Yorke (Radiohead).

Sep 26, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 25
FEMALES
Rachelle Ferrell
Aretha Franklin
Chaka Khan
Eva Cassidy
Nina Persson (Cardigans)
Dixie Chicks "Landslide" (I can't get enough of this song)
Sade
Dawn Robinson (Lucy Pearl)
Kate Bush
Tracy Chapman

MALES
Layne Staley (Alice In Chains) - best rock voice ever!
Sting particularly in "Don't stand so close to me '86"
Bono's voice in Bono/Clannad's "In A life Time"
Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots)
Jimi Hendrix (I just love his voice)
Frank Sinatra

Sep 26, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
oh, i like Tom Jones too. He's fun.

Well, too funny!
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 26, 2004 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I prefer deeper, smooth, sexy, more soulful female voices most:

k.d. Lang

Have you heard her latest album? It is soooo good. She covers some great Canadian artists and does a wonderful job. I fell in love with her voice over this album.

Sep 26, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 25
I do prefer solo female voices however, nothing does it for me like an all male choir. There is simply something powerful when men are singing together. An excellent example is a track from the Miss Saigon Broadway Musical, disc 2 I believe the song is Bui doi. Insane. I enjoy some group ventures as well...Chanticleer, and I really want to try Cantus out.

For solo females:

Holly Cole
Sarah McLachlan
Loreena McKennitt
Diana Krall
mmmm Jann Arden, how could she have only come to mind now?!
Bjork
k.d. lang
Tegan and Sara...though they are a duet...but twins, so they sound pretty much identical, except that Tegan sings most of the leads and is better trained.

For men...
Bono
Sting
Josh Groban (back off flamers, I like only a few of his opera tracks)
Andrea Bocelli

Sep 26, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 25
male:
marilyn manson
in flames singer anders friden...i like the way he snarls
thom yorke
dave williams (r.i.p.) was decent as well...a little thin but full of emotions, quite hard to find in american metal.

female...i prefer singers with a somewhat slim and delicate voice...of course its even better if they can sing fast and hard hitting songs with that kind of voice:
british indie band 'boa' singer...forgot her name.
sakamoto maaya
a few lesser known japanese singers

Sep 26, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 25
I for once prefer male singers. Female singers seem rather ... boring? It's just all too sugar sweat. I mean if I wanna listen to beautiful music I'll go with female vocals. I like semi-high-pitch voices. A favorite of mine is Swan Lee

I like dark voices colored by plenty of smokes and beers and what-d-we-have-here throughout the years. Somewhat rusty. I like Robert Plant (Led Zepp front singer, eh?), Kasper Eistrup (Kashmir's front singer) and others which I can't think of in the moment
tongue.gif
I'm not a heavy fan though, the
'hardest' I've listened to and like was Papa Roach
rolleyes.gif

Sep 26, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 25
Diana Ross type voices tend to interest and captivate me the most... while I like Diana Krall for compositions she's not my preference at all when it's limited to the voice alone and how it's used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back