WHat kind of female (or male) singer voice is your preference ?
Sep 26, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #16 of 25
With the music I listen to, female singers are more a novelty than anything, so they're hard to find good. As far as male singers go, I could list quite a few, but I'll try to cut it down to my favorites:

Layne Staley (Alice in Chains) - Everything on Dirt, Sap and Jar of Flies sounded like it was coming straight from his heart, not a paper with lyrics written on it

Zach de la Rocha (Rage Against the Machine) - Same reasons as Layne, but delivered with more intensity and anger due to the subject matter

Johnny Cash - He could sing heartfelt songs as seriously as anyone, then turn around and sing a song like Cocaine Blues with as much swagger as an early Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger

James Hetfield (Metallica) - At his best, he can sound like pure evil, which is perfect for a metal band

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) - Great vocal range, which is oddly fitting for a metal band

Sep 26, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #17 of 25
pank2002 said:
I for once prefer male singers. Female singers seem rather ... boring? It's just all too sugar sweet. I mean if I wanna listen to beautiful music I'll go with female vocals.
You obviously haven't heard the dark lyrics coming from Nina Simone and Sarah Vaughn.

I mean, these women are completely filled with angst.

They've been through it all...

Sep 26, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
I for once prefer male singers. Female singers seem rather ... boring? It's just all too sugar sweet. I mean if I wanna listen to beautiful music I'll go with female vocals.

You obviously haven't heard the dark lyrics coming from Nina Simone and Sarah Vaughn.

I mean, these women are completely filled with angst.

They've been through it all...

I must admit, your completly right
smily_headphones1.gif

At a party a girl I know played some music -- way to heavy for me -- and I told her 'man, he sucks, can we listen to something els?' and she was like 'he?! it's a she!' I was amazed 'cause she really sound so brutal and man-like.

I'll check those two artist out... I've added a cheap 'best of Sarah Vaughn' to the shopping cart at my preferd cd-pusher.

Sep 26, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #20 of 25
I never really listened to Simone and Vaughn until my girlfriend explained to me what they often sang about. Always thought they were just 'jazzy' vocalists (Billie Holliday too).

Don't Explain:

"Try to hear folks chatter
And I know you cheat
Right or wrong, don’t matter
When you’re with me, sweet

Hush now, don’t explain
You’re my love and pain
My life’s your love
Don’t explain "

Pusher Man:

"God damn him, God damn him
God damn him, God damn the pusher
If I were the president, hear me, of this land
I’d declare total war on the pusher man
Gimme now, now
I’d shoot him if he stands
I’d cut him if he runs yeah
I’d kill him with my bible
My razor and my gun
God damn him, God damn him
Oh, the pusher
God damn the pusher man"

I'd hate to get on the wrong side of Nina Simone...

Sep 27, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #21 of 25
male:

Greg Walker,
Marvin Gaye,
Alexander Ligertwood,
Robert Cray,
Otis Rush

female:

Patricia Barber,
Holly Cole,
Diana Krall,
Song Zu Ying,
China Forbes,
Cassandra Wilson,
Kiri Te kanawa,

Happy listening,
W

Sep 27, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #22 of 25
For females, I tend to like delicate, sweet voices. Andrea Corr is a good example, Maaya Sakamoto another good example. Don't usually like deep, low-pitched vocals like Diana Krall, does nothing for me.

For males, eh, I'm not that picky. The only two types I actively dislike are "screaming/grunting" found in some metal, and Bob Dylan.

Sep 27, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #23 of 25
Some of my favorites have already been covered, so I'll add a few:

Bebel Gilberto ............ Brazilian beat singer, "Tanto Tempo"
Sinead Lohan ............ modern singer/songwriter w/ celtic influence, "no mermaid"
Leona Naess ............. "Comatised"
Martha Schwendener . lead vocalist for Bowery Electric
Emiliana Torrini ......... "Love in the Time of Science"
Lucia Holm ............... lead vocalist for Sunscreem

Sep 27, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #25 of 25
Feamles

Dido
Lucinda Williams
Patti Scialfa
Andrea Corr
Lisa Gerrard
Margo Timmins