What kind of a DAC/Amp would I benefit from most? (DT770 250Ω+Soundcard)
Feb 23, 2011 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pine

Head-Fier
Update: Alright, I'm actually deciding between some DAC/Amp combos. I'm looking at the Audio-GD NFB-12. Looks beautiful, at a promo price and gives me everything I need. However, it is a smooth amp, and people say that it tends to roll of higher frequencies (which it is supposed to do). I read that this is not ideal for Beyers. My DT770's have exactly the right amount of sparkle, and I'm not sure I need it much smoother, but the NFB-12 is VERY intriguing.

I'm thinking if the NFB-12 smoothens things out at higher frequencies a bit too much for me, I can still EQ it via my Auzentech X-Plosion. Will I be able to EQ while using the optical out to the NFB-12?

The alternative to an NFB-12 is the Sparrow. However, it's not on a promo price so it demonstrates a lower value (One vs Two Wolfson chips, for instance). It's also a bit more ($210 vs $200), while (I think?) offering a bit less.

TL;DR: NFB-12 GET, ANY OBJECTIONS OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.

Help is much appreciated!

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 9
The ZERO will be okay.  A used Audio-gd FUN or Sparrow will be better.
If you want to stick to soundcards, the Essence STX should make them shine nicely, I imagine.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 9
i had the same issue as you do, heres some of the info i learned:

if you use a dedicated DAC then you'll not be able to use the DAC on the sound card and you'll lose all of the virtual audio add-ons such as virtual surround sound, dolby headphone and the like

if you feel like your cans need a better amp, either
a) go for an essence st (sound card that has an adequate amp)

or

b) get an external amp, connect it to your headphone out and that way, you can still keep all of the virtual add-ons and get a better amp

hope that helps

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 9
The ZERO will be okay.  A used Audio-gd FUN or Sparrow will be better.
If you want to stick to soundcards, the Essence STX should make them shine nicely, I imagine.

Yea, I've looked into the FUN and Sparrow. They look like absolutely exceptional amps, but I haven't been able to find any used, and they're a tad pricey to buy new. I'm still scouring Head-Fi for any used equipment though, I keep missing anything by just a couple of minutes. It's slightly difficult for me to justify an Essence when I have a decent card, so I'm not sure there.

i had the same issue as you do, heres some of the info i learned:

if you use a dedicated DAC then you'll not be able to use the DAC on the sound card and you'll lose all of the virtual audio add-ons such as virtual surround sound, dolby headphone and the like

if you feel like your cans need a better amp, either
a) go for an essence st (sound card that has an adequate amp)

or

b) get an external amp, connect it to your headphone out and that way, you can still keep all of the virtual add-ons and get a better amp

hope that helps

Ah, I see. That's really helpful, I wouldn't have envisioned that. I don't use anything except the EQ in my soundcard, so would I lose that as well? I'm assuming the ZERO counts as a dedicated DAC, as does something like a Musiland 02 if I use the digital jacks, then?

Well, I guess I'm looking for external amps (Unless I can keep EQ using the optical out on my soundcard).
Any suggestions (or pointers to used items) would be really appreciated :xf_eek:

Edit: Just got them! I can't stop smiling when they're on my head, it's just absolutely incredible. I could never have imagined anything like them. They're not even burned in, running off my soundcard/zune/piano. At max volume on all these devices, they're just at optimal listening levels, maybe a bit below. Definitely going to want to be going for an amp!

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 9
hmm im not too sure about the eq, i believe you would...

however i do believe that you would have an equalizer with your new DAC so if you only use the EQ on your sound card, then i don't see why you shouldnt upgrade both, so long as it is an upgrade (which the DAC's you are looking at are all better than your current sound card) 

edit: glad to hear you like your new cans, though you definitely need to get an amp, sounds like your not driving your cans properly!

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 9
Imo just sell the sound card and get a stx its.an all in budget system and tbh sounds great and not not far from external usb dac amps

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 9
With my sound card I am unable to use the EQ settings with any digital output, IE S/PDIF or optical. 

This may be different with your card, you can tell by going into the playback devices and right clicking your sound card's digital output and checking the levels tab. If it's not there then you can't use Windows' leveler. You may want to try the same with your card's software EQ. Set your optical out to default and see if you can use the equalizer. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 9
I've tried that, I can use the EQ in any case. Doesn't mean it'll do anything. No reason you can't EQ a digital signal, but I just want to confirm, if anybody knows.

NFB-12 Time, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back