What is your primary ear bud foam cover type and set up?

What is your primary ear bud foam cover type and set up?

• Total voters
Jun 7, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 15
I love the Trig Rain foams from Aliexpress... I have many colors. This photo is just of my Trig Rain ones. I also have many packs that came with various buds so I usually start with the stock ones unless I want a colorful combination or if the stock ones don't feel nice.

10276907.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 15
@mbwilson111 What thickness are those? Similar to VE Monk Medium?

EDIT: Never mind I just read your post in the other thread... medium :wink:

Technically I am not sure. Maybe someone else who has them can comment. Certainly not thin but I have the impression that maybe there are thicker ones out there.

I thought VE foams were thin?

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #6 of 15
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32607003829.html

The 'thick' Aliexpress foams (same exact ones as trig rain pictured above, just 100 for around $2 but in black only) made into offset donut style using a leather punch.

These thicker foams have a smoother feel and the foam cell size is smaller so its more dense. The thin ones are a bit itchy to me.

20190329_190514.jpg

The ACG is small enough I use double offset donut foams. Kinda tricky to get lined up, I use small hemostats to manipulate the covers.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 15
Great idea using the surgical clamp to open up the foams to hole punch em, thanks!

Nah. I just put it through the back and press it into a cutting board or sheet. Then using pressure I rock it around the circumference at a slight angle and also twist. Hard to describe in words but no hammering necessary.

Hemostats is for pulling the outer cover around the inner cover when I double foam, to get the holes perfectly lined up.

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #11 of 15
BUMP! Let's get some more votes in!

The best way is to remind people in the earbud roundup when there seem to be a lot of people in there... also the absolute best budget earbud thread.

Jun 26, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 15
I voted single donut but honestly it depends on the earbud regarding donut vs. full.

My favorite foams are the thicker ones from the VE ex-pack. I read those were the same as Trig Rain foams, but not 100% sure.

Jun 26, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 15
I think this very much depends on the earbud we're talking about (its FR graph) and the shell (some need more foams to have a better fit etc)

Jun 26, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #14 of 15
I think this very much depends on the earbud we're talking about (its FR graph) and the shell (some need more foams to have a better fit etc)
Yup. Just like headphone pads.

I use whichever foam gives the best balance in the frequency response. Since i dont have a measurement rig i just test foams by ear.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 15
as an earbuds DIYer, i tune buds with single full thick foams but i prefer single full medium foams for personal use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back