What Is Your Preferred Reference Setup?
Oct 28, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #31 of 41
Even with LEDE, do you put the listening position in the exact center of the room?

Oct 28, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #32 of 41
Even with LEDE, do you put the listening position in the exact center of the room?
Yes pretty much, or slightly closer to the front boundary. Although you loose about a third (or so) of the volume of the room to start with, due to all the absorption you need to make the front end acoustically “dead”, one of the main reasons it’s not suitable for most home listening rooms, you need a pretty big room to start with. LP needs to be carefully considered with LEDE because the front and back half of the room have very different acoustics.

G

Oct 28, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #33 of 41
Weird. I've never heard a system set up like that. From his diagram, it appears the room is the size of a jail cell. I can't imagine doing that to a living room. It would be completely impractical.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #34 of 41
Yes pretty much, or slightly closer to the front boundary. Although you loose about a third (or so) of the volume of the room to start with, due to all the absorption you need to make the front end acoustically “dead”, one of the main reasons it’s not suitable for most home listening rooms, you need a pretty big room to start with. LP needs to be carefully considered with LEDE because the front and back half of the room have very different acoustics.

G

Keep in mind that the image of the room that was posted didn't include the room dimensions, let alone in room response measurements, so who knows what's actually going on there.

Oct 28, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #35 of 41
I can't imagine doing that to a living room. It would be completely impractical.
Keep in mind that the image of the room that was posted didn't include the room dimensions
The diagram posted isn’t accurate. Have a look at the link I provided. The front of the room has to be dead, that means complete coverage floor to ceiling (and ceiling) absorption about a meter or so thick, not just acoustic absorption panels. You can get away with membrane absorbers about 30cms deep, instead of a meter or so of fibre/rock wool but it’s not easy to engineer them to work properly.

LEDE was used a fair bit for broadcast studios and sound mixing but it wasn’t practical for many music recording studios because you need thick/heavy absorption where the glass to the live room would usually be. So the RFZ design principle was developed just a few years after LEDE was first proposed and that’s far more practical for home/home studio use because you only need to treat the primary reflection points (plus some bass traps in the corners). The later design principle developments provide better acoustic performance but are really restricted to professional use, due to the difficulty and cost of implementing them.

G

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #36 of 41
The diagram posted isn’t accurate. Have a look at the link I provided. The front of the room has to be dead, that means complete coverage floor to ceiling (and ceiling) absorption about a meter or so thick, not just acoustic absorption panels. You can get away with membrane absorbers about 30cms deep, instead of a meter or so of fibre/rock wool but it’s not easy to engineer them to work properly.

LEDE was used a fair bit for broadcast studios and sound mixing but it wasn’t practical for many music recording studios because you need thick/heavy absorption where the glass to the live room would usually be. So the RFZ design principle was developed just a few years after LEDE was first proposed and that’s far more practical for home/home studio use because you only need to treat the primary reflection points (plus some bass traps in the corners). The later design principle developments provide better acoustic performance but are really restricted to professional use, due to the difficulty and cost of implementing them.

G

Agreed on all points.

I was referring to the diagram posted by DSD of his home configuration.

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #37 of 41
I was referring to the diagram posted by DSD of his home configuration.
Yep, me too. In addition to your point about lack of dimensions, the diagram is actually wrong. It shows gaps in the “absorption panels” on the front wall (behind the speakers) and the panels wouldn’t be the typical 4-5cm thick absorption/acoustic panels. For LEDE you’d need way thicker absorption, probably around the same as the width of the keyboard! Otherwise the “Dead End” won’t be dead.

G

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #38 of 41
Yep, me too. In addition to your point about lack of dimensions, the diagram is actually wrong. It shows gaps in the “absorption panels” on the front wall (behind the speakers) and the panels wouldn’t be the typical 4-5cm thick absorption/acoustic panels. For LEDE you’d need way thicker absorption, probably around the same as the width of the keyboard! Otherwise the “Dead End” won’t be dead.

G

Good catch - thanks for the details.

I stopped paying attention when I realized there were no dimensions and no measurements. I just assume the rest of it isn’t scaled properly but didn’t bother to look at the acoustic treatment in detail.

FWIW, I’m not asking DSD to produce anything I can’t as well. Just curious to see his in room response in his alleged room next to mine, which is a multi use room with very little formal treatment. Mine certainly isn’t perfect, but I’m +/- 2.5 db from 16hz-16khz, which, for me, is good enough for home audio reproduction. Substantial improvement isn’t going to happen without serious room treatment

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #39 of 41
There's more to a home listening room than just the numbers. Based on his diagram, can you imagine a few friends coming over to listen to music with him?

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #40 of 41
There's more to a home listening room than just the numbers. Based on his diagram, can you imagine a few friends coming over to listen to music with him?

I don’t follow. Are you suggesting room treatments shouldn’t be measured post installation to see what the new FR looks like and what further tuning adjustment is necessary?

I think he’s said that this is his production room, so probably not setup for communal listening.

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #41 of 41
I'm saying that when you listen to music in the home, you have more to consider than just measurements. You have to consider how you and your family and friends can use it. If it's for production, I wouldn't call a ten by fifteen room a "reference standard" compared to a full mixing stage. I guess it might be a nice editing suite... But for solo editing, headphones would probably be more useful than speakers.

I don't see what that's good for. It looks too small to be really useful either as a professional reference system or as a home listening room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back