What Is Your Favorite Southern Rock Band?
Sep 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #62 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fifth--last--it just got me thinking about the glorious rise and ignominious fall of all those great Southern music acts that were something special in their day. Just off hand, I remembered:

The DBs
The B-52s
The Swimming Pool Qs
Webb Wilder and His Beatnecks
The Georgia Satellites
Southern Culture on the Skids
The Vomit Spots
Guadacanal Diary
The Reivers
BR549

All additions to this Memento Mori list are appreciated.

wow man... I grew up in Jo-Jah, and I saw just about all these bands live at some point or another... great list!

i haven't thought about The Reivers in ages... didn't they become Zeitgeist, or the other way around?

i can add to your list:

Drivin N Cryin (saw them play in a mall record store with Arms Akimbo when 688 released their first album)
Kilkenny Cats
Jason and the Scorchers
Dash Rip Rock
The Reverend Horton Heat
Flat Duo Jets

and for the heck of it, i'll throw in Lambchop

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #63 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow man... I grew up in Jo-Jah, and I saw just about all these bands live at some point or another... great list!

i haven't thought about The Reivers in ages... didn't they become Zeitgeist, or the other way around?

i can add to your list:

Drivin N Cryin (saw them play in a mall record store with Arms Akimbo when 688 released their first album)
Kilkenny Cats
Jason and the Scorchers
Dash Rip Rock
The Reverend Horton Heat
Flat Duo Jets

and for the heck of it, i'll throw in Lambchop

Wow, Man, what's that?!
--It's Freedom Rock, Dude!
Well, crank it up!!!

You go, Vic! Yeah, I remember DnC, and did see Jason and Scorchers (who've gotten lauded earlier). Did Drivin 'n Cryin become Tesla? Then there was Whiskey Town before there was Ryan Adams. But now I'm running into a bunch of bands that weren't proper Southern bands, but were working off that whole vibe in the 80s. There were The Fabulous Thunderbirds from Texas (SR Vaughn connection--can't recall details) and the shadow act of X-- Dave Alvin and the Blasters. I used to have this Lone Wolf label sampler that had Scruffy the Cat, Syd Straw, and "Mr. Wonderful" singing, "Elvis What Happened?- What Happened was You Died." Then there was early Meat Puppets.

Must. . .fight. . .nostalgia. . . .must not succumb to drinking a six pack of Yoohoos and reading my entire collection of Flaming Carrot Comics!

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #65 of 80
Yay!!! Someone mentioned Murray Attaway and Guadalcanal Diary!!!

They're my favourite too. I love Murray's "In thrall" album. It is just so immensely satisfying and profound - his spirituality and depth of vision is so penetrating that I can see why he has never released an album, 16 years after that masterpiece.

David Okamoto from the Rolling Stone summed it up perfectly, however as highly as he rated Attaway's album on its release in 1993, I don't think anyone could fathom the depth of his album - it's taken me 16 years and it's dark brooding southern gothic slant hasn't dated one iota.

In Thrall : Murray Attaway : Review : Rolling Stone
Quote:

Attaway isn't talking about losing his religion: In Thrall is about finding your place in the world and learning to fit into it.

inthrall.jpg

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #67 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the Drive-By Truckers.

x2

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #69 of 80
The Allman Brothers band has rocked since the late 60's and still does today.
Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are just phenomenal, no two ways about it.

The Drive By Truckers are some kind of a live act. Have seen them 6 or 7 times and never been less than blown away. Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley are a very strong combination in terms of writing songs and being on stage together. The is a post here from a "less than blown away" newcomer to them. My advice is to get the "Dirty South" album and turn it up loud.
"Carl Perkin's Cadillac" from that album might just be one of the best southern rock songs ever dreamed up.
All of the studio albums are excellent as are the 2 Jason Isabel records.
Don't miss out on these guys, just don't.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #71 of 80
I've been doing some digging on Utube for Ozark Mountain Daredevils. I like that lazy summer sound.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/2HuMCk2kZCo[/VIDEO]

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #74 of 80
Ive never seen a band with so many amazing songs as Creedence Clearwater Revival. Very consistent with good songs. Their rate of "masterpiece" songs (in their own style) exceeds the one of even my favorite band - Pink Floyd (well sort of).

Their are incredible. For the few years they were together, they achieved more than a lot of great bands did in their whole career.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #75 of 80
Quote:
Ive never seen a band with so many amazing songs as Creedence Clearwater Revival. Very consistent with good songs. Their rate of "masterpiece" songs (in their own style) exceeds the one of even my favorite band - Pink Floyd (well sort of).

Their are incredible. For the few years they were together, they achieved more than a lot of great bands did in their whole career.

ccr members are  from california not [size=12pt]Southern Rock[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back