What is your favorite restaurant?
Dec 11, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #91 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True enough - I would imagine though that not all that qualifying spending would be personal...just to say you've got a black card would be pretty darn cool though :-D

I have a lot of family that lives in HK, and that was pretty much my last opportunity to take a vacation before starting my professional life. This whole "only having 3 weeks of vacation a year" thing is really strange, I want my summer breaks back, hahaha. There wasn't much else of note as far as dining goes, but now I've got a craving for congee with thousand-year eggs and pork...

Now that, my friend, is one of my favourite foods ever! Prices range from 6HKD/$.77 to 30HKD/$4 for a bowl and it's incredible value for money! Congee is extremely popular and you can find it in nearly every single Chinese restaurant. It makes all other foods seem overpriced! The best thing about Chinese cuisine is, you can get very nice stuff for peanuts
biggrin.gif
Another example would be wonton noodles at about 8-30HKD a bowl, they're pretty darn cheap. Just forget the price and enjoy!

Dec 11, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #93 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, now you've got me really hungry, lol. I think I might have to blow one of my three weeks of vacation in HK next year...

You got Chinatown anywhere near yours? I guess nothing beats the authentic, unique experience of sitting in one of those aging tea houses from the colonial era enjoying cheap pu-er tea and a bowl of hot noodles on a hot afternoon with a moist breeze blowing through the door-less entrance plus the sound of the roaring kitchen flame in the background.

Enjoyment? Unquantifiable. Cost? Priceless.

I've just made myself incredibly homesick
frown.gif
These restaurants are slowly being replaced by newer ones. If you want to experience it, please come to Hong Kong asap. I'm very sad to admit that they'll all be gone within the next few decades or so... They'll be sorely missed
frown.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #94 of 115
Closest Chinatown is Washington DC, "Whitest Chinatown in America" (or at least that's what I call it). When i go there, I eat at California Tortilla =(

I know what you mean about the homesick - now I'm homesick too. I'll definitely make sure to come home soon. So much I miss about HK - karaoke at California Red, TVB cop dramas, congee...*goes to book plane ticket...Cathay Pacific of course :-D*

Dec 11, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #95 of 115
Burger King

Dec 18, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #96 of 115
Yay! I've been told that I'll be going to Susur in downtown Toronto either Tuesday or Wednesday night. Apparently, it's a great restaurant! Anyone been there? I'll report back
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #97 of 115
Love nando's.. but i'd take a good steak over it any time

And oh folks, i had a mettbrotchen today
It's raw meat with onions in a roll.. tasted good until i found out what it was

Milkpowder! only $140 left
eek.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #98 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love nando's.. but i'd take a good steak over it any time

And oh folks, i had a mettbrotchen today
It's raw meat with onions in a roll.. tasted good until i found out what it was

Speaking of good steak, I think I'll be making a trip to Ruth's Chris Steak House in downtown Toronto in the next few days because apparently, it's cheaper than the ones in Hong Kong! They serve great steak there
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Milkpowder! only $140 left
eek.gif

Yes! I think I'll be getting some money for Christmas, or at least for the coming term. Some of that will definitely be going towards audio so I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to get a pair of UE10Pro by February 2007
cool.gif
My mom gave me $1k CAD before we arrived in Canada, but I'm not sure whether she's going to let me keep it. If she does let me keep it, then I can sense a source/DAC upgrade coming too
biggrin.gif

Food in Toronto is absolutely brilliant. I'm not staying in downtown Toronto, but in a sort of massive "Chinatown" area called Richmond Hill. It's ridiculous how many Cantonese people are here. I could literally go out and not speak a word of English! It's that radical
blink.gif
As a consequence (a good one), the Chinese food there is exceptional and very authentic. What sweetens the deal even more is the price: cheap ultra-authentic Chinese food! It almost feels like I'm back in Hong Kong! Nothing beats staying with an audiophile uncle who loves his music/hifi and his food!

Dec 18, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #102 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gordon Biersch Brewry (San Jose)... Mainly for the beer but their bar/grille is excellent too.
Sam Kee (San Jose-Cupertino)... Great chinese cuisine for not a lot of $$$
Pho 54 (San Jose)... My fave Pho place
Zeldas (Capitola)... My fave place, in my fave beach town. Live Jazz too on weekends.
Crab-shacks all over san francisco's wharf. Nothing like fresh caught live crab, in SF... on the pier.
Sato Sushi (San Jose)... for sashimi. Love their spider (soft shell crab) rolls there
Yoshi's (Oakland, Jack London square)... Great up-scale Japanese. INCREDIBLE Live Jazz venue. The room acoustics there are phenominal. Engeineers there really know what theyre doing at that venue. Top notch house PA IMHO. I saw Jonathan butler and Keiko Matsui there.
Aldo's (Santa Cruz)... On the pier in Santa Cruz. Good eats for not a lot of $$$. Of all the Northern CA beach towns Santa Cruz generally has the warmest climate. Here's a pic of me and some friends... at Aldo's/

Happy Hound (Los Gatos)... My fave burger dive.
Kubota's (San Jose)
Beach Boardwalk (Santa Cruz)... FAT corn dogs, beer battered onion rings and fried zucchini, salt water taffy and cotton candy

Have you tried the burgers and cheesesteaks at st johns bar and grill in sunnyvale. The best Ive had. Lots of beers on tap too. Its in the same square as the apple store. I havent been there since 2001 though since I now live in the Philippines.

Dec 18, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #103 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's see if any Washington, D.C., Bethesda, or Rockville-ites recognize these...

Raku (Asian)

I'll be damned, that's my girlfriend's favourite restaurant, and we're in Singapore! Is it Japanese (you have to understand that 'Asian' to describe cuisine is a little too generic. Could be soupy Chinese dishes, or really spicy and sour Thai, or spicy hot Indian curry, etc) ?

Course it could just be another restaurant under the same name
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #104 of 115
http://english.montrealplus.ca/porta...ofileID=438094

I used to visit Milos Restaurant at least once a month when I made regular business trips to Montreal. I'm not even a huge seafood fan, but the freshness of the food plus the incredible ambiance this place provides has made it my favourite restaurant for the past 25 years. One time a rather dignified and rotund bearded opera singer ( no idea who, as I'm not up on opera stars) wearing a tux, stood up from his meal and belted out a song which earned him a standing ovation from the other diners. The food's not cheap, but it's very, very, good. If you're ever visiting Montreal, I highly recommend it.

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #105 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been to so many nice restaurants in Hong Kong that I guess I have to share with you! All you potential Hong Kong goers, pay attention!

<snip>
Ruth's Chris Steak House in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong (there are multiple stores around Hong Kong)

Expensive, but the steak is very nice. Service is great and the atmosphere is pretty formal. Go there for your steak!

Yeah, I remember while living in Japan for a 3 year stint, I got so desperate for a decent American steak (does not exist in Japan, BTW) on my first trip out to Hong Kong I eagerly made reservations on Monday for Morton's Steakhouse and Tuesday for the Ruth's Chris in Admiralty. Morton's used to be my main hangout in San Francisco, but I was curious about Ruth's Chris. Was disappointed by the former (Morton's all across the world can be random, sometimes great, sometimes disappointing), and enjoyed the latter enough to go again on Wednesday and Thursday.
biggrin.gif

I've finally given up on Morton's. I go to Ruth's Chris instead here in Manhattan. I do need to find a better place though...

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back