What is your favorite restaurant?
Dec 10, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #77 of 115
Most of the time I prefer to eat at home because my wife is an exellent cook! I do occasionally take my wife out though and we both prefer places like Lonestar or Chili's.
cool.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #79 of 115
in San Francisco:
- the House
- Masa's
- Maki

in Yountville:
- Bistro Jeanty

in Davis, CA:
- Kathmandu

in Big Sur:
- Sierra Mar at the Post Ranch Inn

in Chicago:
- Japonais

in Honolulu/Oahu:
- HK's (plate lunch)
- Alan Wong's
- Kaka'ako Kitchen
- Shiro's
- Zippy's
- Kua'Aina

i'm getting really hungry for some reason...

Dec 10, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #81 of 115
Nando's!! Spicy chicken!! Yum yum! My mouth starts watering everytime I think about it
icon10.gif

Going to go next week with some of the uni lot I know because its our last week before christmas.
cool.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #82 of 115
I've been to so many nice restaurants in Hong Kong that I guess I have to share with you! All you potential Hong Kong goers, pay attention!

Top Deck in Aberdeen, Hong Kong

They've got very nice seafood there, including my favourites: Alaskan King Crab, tiger prawns, crayfish, all sorts of mussels, lobster, mud crab, dungeness crab, etc... It's definitely an excellent place to hang out, host parties, etc... It's not that expensive either, especially for the quality of food you get. A nice meal for 6 will cost around $250-$300 USD. Of course, that is sans-wine/drinks/service.

Le Parisien in IFC, Central, Hong Kong

Classy French restaurant with a nice variety. It's quite pricey though, especially for dinner and the portions are small. That said, the quality of food is brilliant and you get good waitering/service.

Any restaurant (Chinese, French, Japanese and lobby cafe, eg Gaddi's, Spring Moon, the Lobby, the Verandah) in the Peninsula Hotel, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong

World class hotel with some world class restaurants. Service is immaculate and the food is extremely nice. Again, pretty pricey. You get what you pay for though
tongue.gif
I've dined there quite a few times and each occasion left a lasting impression on me. I didn't think service could possibly be so good!

Dan Ryans in Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong (there are multiple stores around HK)

I love the atmosphere and the food is great too! The portions are very generous and very tasty! I usually go for a full rack of baby back ribs plus a chicken caesars to share.

Amaroni's in Festival Walk, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong

Very classy Italian restaurant with reasonable prices and good food. It's quite a casual atmosphere but the waiters are pretty serious. The portions are pretty big so it's best to go in groups of 3 or more.

Ruth's Chris Steak House in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong (there are multiple stores around Hong Kong)

Expensive, but the steak is very nice. Service is great and the atmosphere is pretty formal. Go there for your steak!

Tiffin in the Grand Hyatt, Central, Hong Kong

I've never had a proper meal there, but I did enjoy their dessert buffet, which was mouth-wateringly good. The variety is exceptional. Highly recommended! The price is quite low for what you get!

cafe TOO in the Island Shangri-La, Admiralty, Hong Kong

I had a very nice brunch buffet there! Exceptional value for money! Massive variety of different cuisines and the food never runs out... Casual, but nice atmosphere.

Cova Cafe in Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong

Petit, but very classy Italian restaurant. Food is very nice. You don't get pizza or anything like it: fine Italian cuisine. Somewhat pricey, but IMO worth it. The service is good. The Sunday Brunch buffet is highly recommended and so is the regular a la carte menu.

Cafe des Artistes in Lan Kwai Fong, Central, Hong Kong

A neat restaurant with good service. It's a fine French restaurant that really gets your saliva running. I highly recommend it to any one in Lan Kwai Fong. Lunch is very reasonably priced, but dinner can be quite pricey.

yè shanghai in Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong

Fine Shanghai cuisine. Terrific service and the food is top notch. Very classy!

Kikuzen Japanese Restaurant in Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong

As you can see, I've been to virtually every single restaurant in Pacific Place on numerous occasions and Kikuzen is no exception. Good Japanese food. Lunch is best value for money, but dinner is when you really start salivating. It has a great range of seafood and tastes pretty authentic Japanese to me
tongue.gif

Ming Court in the Langham Place Hotel, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Good food. Expensive, but probably worth it. Service is immaculate, eg I didn't have to fill my tea cup even ONCE! The waiter to diner ratio is very good and there's quite a lot of space between tables. Very relaxed, sophisticated dining combined with exceptional quality Chinese food.

Portal in Langham Place Hotel, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Not really a proper restaurant, more of a classy bar. I've only been there a couple of times for High Tea after auditioning some B&W, Sonus Faber, Burmester and Classe gear (dealer also in the same shopping mall). The setting is casual and the food is great. It's a brilliant place to spend an afternoon after some intense shopping.

Spices in the Repulse Bay Hotel, Southside, Hong Kong

Nice Thai cuisine. Good service + food. They were particularly keen on knowing whether I had an American Express Centurion credit card for some reason! I said I didn't, but luckily a friend of mine had one on her so we got some free platter
biggrin.gif
Recommended if you're around the area!

Victoria Seafood Restaurant in the Repulse Bay Hotel, Southside, Hong Kong

One of my favourite Chinese restaurants. They have a few restaurants in Hong Kong and the staff are generally very friendly. I love their food. Their dim sum is also very nice!

There are so many other nice restaurants that I can't possibly list them all! I hope my list inspires those of us who want good food and happen to be in Hong Kong!

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #83 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been to so many nice restaurants in Hong Kong that I guess I have to share with you! All you potential Hong Kong goers, pay attention!

Top Deck in Aberdeen, Hong Kong

They've got very nice seafood there, including my favourites: Alaskan King Crab, tiger prawns, crayfish, all sorts of mussels, lobster, mud crab, dungeness crab, etc... It's definitely an excellent place to hang out, host parties, etc... It's not that expensive either, especially for the quality of food you get. A nice meal for 6 will cost around $250-$300 USD. Of course, that is sans-wine/drinks/service.

Le Parisien in IFC, Central, Hong Kong

Classy French restaurant with a nice variety. It's quite pricey though, especially for dinner and the portions are small. That said, the quality of food is brilliant and you get good waitering/service.

Any restaurant (Chinese, French, Japanese and lobby cafe, eg Gaddi's, Spring Moon, the Lobby, the Verandah) in the Peninsula Hotel, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong

World class hotel with some world class restaurants. Service is immaculate and the food is extremely nice. Again, pretty pricey. You get what you pay for though
tongue.gif
I've dined there quite a few times and each occasion left a lasting impression on me. I didn't think service could possibly be so good!

Dan Ryans in Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong (there are multiple stores around HK)

I love the atmosphere and the food is great too! The portions are very generous and very tasty! I usually go for a full rack of baby back ribs plus a chicken caesars to share.

Amaroni's in Festival Walk, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong

Very classy Italian restaurant with reasonable prices and good food. It's quite a casual atmosphere but the waiters are pretty serious. The portions are pretty big so it's best to go in groups of 3 or more.

Ruth's Chris Steak House in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong (there are multiple stores around Hong Kong)

Expensive, but the steak is very nice. Service is great and the atmosphere is pretty formal. Go there for your steak!

Tiffin in the Grand Hyatt, Central, Hong Kong

I've never had a proper meal there, but I did enjoy their dessert buffet, which was mouth-wateringly good. The variety is exceptional. Highly recommended! The price is quite low for what you get!

cafe TOO in the Island Shangri-La, Admiralty, Hong Kong

I had a very nice brunch buffet there! Exceptional value for money! Massive variety of different cuisines and the food never runs out... Casual, but nice atmosphere.

Cova Cafe in Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong

Petit, but very classy Italian restaurant. Food is very nice. You don't get pizza or anything like it: fine Italian cuisine. Somewhat pricey, but IMO worth it. The service is good. The Sunday Brunch buffet is highly recommended and so is the regular a la carte menu.

Cafe des Artistes in Lan Kwai Fong, Central, Hong Kong

A neat restaurant with good service. It's a fine French restaurant that really gets your saliva running. I highly recommend it to any one in Lan Kwai Fong. Lunch is very reasonably priced, but dinner can be quite pricey.

yè shanghai in Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong

Fine Shanghai cuisine. Terrific service and the food is top notch. Very classy!

Kikuzen Japanese Restaurant in Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong

As you can see, I've been to virtually every single restaurant in Pacific Place on numerous occasions and Kikuzen is no exception. Good Japanese food. Lunch is best value for money, but dinner is when you really start salivating. It has a great range of seafood and tastes pretty authentic Japanese to me
tongue.gif

Ming Court in the Langham Place Hotel, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Good food. Expensive, but probably worth it. Service is immaculate, eg I didn't have to fill my tea cup even ONCE! The waiter to diner ratio is very good and there's quite a lot of space between tables. Very relaxed, sophisticated dining combined with exceptional quality Chinese food.

Portal in Langham Place Hotel, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Not really a proper restaurant, more of a classy bar. I've only been there a couple of times for High Tea after auditioning some B&W, Sonus Faber, Burmester and Classe gear (dealer also in the same shopping mall). The setting is casual and the food is great. It's a brilliant place to spend an afternoon after some intense shopping.

Spices in the Repulse Bay Hotel, Southside, Hong Kong

Nice Thai cuisine. Good service + food. They were particularly keen on knowing whether I had an American Express Centurion credit card for some reason! I said I didn't, but luckily a friend of mine had one on her so we got some free platter
biggrin.gif
Recommended if you're around the area!

Victoria Seafood Restaurant in the Repulse Bay Hotel, Southside, Hong Kong

One of my favourite Chinese restaurants. They have a few restaurants in Hong Kong and the staff are generally very friendly. I love their food. Their dim sum is also very nice!

There are so many other nice restaurants that I can't possibly list them all! I hope my list inspires those of us who want good food and happen to be in Hong Kong!

Hahahaha, yay for Pacific Place - I had no idea there were that many restaurants in there though. I remember a Thai place there that was pretty good...have no idea what it's called though.

Your post makes me miss HK terribly.

EDIT: Just saw the bit about the Centurion card - last time I was back, DBS Bank was advertising a black AmEx card - I was so shocked to see American Express allow something like that. The Centurion card I know of is so rarefied that in order to qualify, you've pretty much got to be on some publication's list of world's richest people. I wanted to apply for one just to be able to flash a black Amex in the US...

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #84 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahahaha, yay for Pacific Place - I had no idea there were that many restaurants in there though. I remember a Thai place there that was pretty good...have no idea what it's called though.

Your post makes me miss HK terribly.

Thai? I can't remember going to a Thai restaurant in Pacific Place
blink.gif
Maybe I haven't been to every single restaurant there
biggrin.gif
There are a lot of restaurants there! Not including MacDonalds and the food court, I can count at least 15 restaurants, all of which are of a pretty high standard! Then you have three 5* hotels directly on top of Pacific Place: Island Shangri-La, Marriott, Conrad. Talk about A LOT of restaurants!

I'm back in Hong Kong in another two weeks (making a trip to visit relatives in Toronto, Canada first) and no doubt I'll be feasting once again
biggrin.gif
The food in the UK just simply can't compare. That said, I haven't been to the Michelin Star restaurants in the UK, so I don't know about the very top end of the spectrum.

Quote:

EDIT: Just saw the bit about the Centurion card - last time I was back, DBS Bank was advertising a black AmEx card - I was so shocked to see American Express allow something like that. The Centurion card I know of is so rarefied that in order to qualify, you've pretty much got to be on some publication's list of world's richest people. I wanted to apply for one just to be able to flash a black Amex in the US...

There are two ways to get the Centurion Card: pay to get it (I think it's about $80-100k), or spend about $150k per year on your Platinum AmEx and have a perfect credit record. (not sure if it's still the same nowadays) It's a very overrated credit card according to a few of my friends who have one. The current yearly fees are about 10000HKD, or $1.3k, which is slightly over the top. I don't think it's normally advertised because it's usually strictly by invitation. IMO, it's all glamour. I guess you can say you get more discounts and have access to private shop sales, but who the heck actually goes to those things. Platinum is more than enough because you get loads of discounts already! I have a subsidiary Platinum and the credit limits can extend up to infinity if you're on good terms with your bank. That said, I think subsidiary cards are limited to about $6.4k a month. The main card can have massive limits, or none at all. Oh one cool thing about the Centurion is you get a very nice glossy magazine each month with really cool gadgets, cars, watches, holidays, houses and basically ways to spend your millions
biggrin.gif
Too bad they haven't caught on with the whole headphone thing. I'm sure they'd put in the Orpheus system if they knew about it
biggrin.gif
Sometimes, I wish I were a millionaire
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I HAVE to add this restaurant.

I think it's called the Landmark Cafe in 'The Landmark' shopping centre on De Voeux Road, Central, Hong Kong. It's a smart casual setting and I had the nicest lobster thermidor pasta there. There's no doubt it's expensive, but OMG! Mouth watering goodness. The pasta is perfectly cooked. Toss in some basil and a creamy, cheesy sauce plus chunks of lobster and you have an incredibly appetising main course! I've only been there once for lunch, but it definitely left a lasting impression. I still remember the family beside me: husband impeccably dressed in a white linen suit with matching waistcoat, wife in some long elegant dress with gems as big as my eye balls on her hand, two cute children and three uniformed maids to take care of the young kids. I was like, "DUDE! Now that's some bling!" Obviously, I didn't say that out loud
biggrin.gif
That said, it didn't distract me from my pasta
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #85 of 115
Quote:

apparently one cannot simply apply for this card...you have to be invited. something like $1500/year for the fee...i imagine many places would think it was fake, too
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #86 of 115
Yeah, getting Amex's Centurion card is like getting a Ferrari F50 - you can't just walk up and apply, you have to either be spending over $2 million a year on another Amex card, or be invited by a member of the Amex board. Talk about rarefied...

I would imagine that the places which a Centurion cardholder frequents would know its veracity when they see it...

milkpowder, I just looked back at a blog entry - the place is called Thai Basil, and it is in fact in Pacific Place. When you go back, eat a portion for me, and take pictures so that I can experience HK fine dining vicariously through you...

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #87 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
apparently one cannot simply apply for this card...you have to be invited. something like $1500/year for the fee...i imagine many places would think it was fake, too
wink.gif

Haha... what's this piece of black plastic?
biggrin.gif
What's it made off? Does anyone know? I've seen them up close, but never held one. A friend of mine has one without a name on it. It looks very sleek with just a row of numbers in the middle
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Yeah, getting Amex's Centurion card is like getting a Ferrari F50 - you can't just walk up and apply, you have to either be spending over $2 million a year on another Amex card, or be invited by a member of the Amex board. Talk about rarefied...

I would imagine that the places which a Centurion cardholder frequents would know its veracity when they see it...

milkpowder, I just looked back at a blog entry - the place is called Thai Basil, and it is in fact in Pacific Place. When you go back, eat a portion for me, and take pictures so that I can experience HK fine dining vicariously through you...

I can assure you that you definitely don't have to spend 2mill a year to get it. Maybe you're talking about 2mill Hong Kong. (still a lot of money!) Centurion cards are more common than you think. You see them pretty frequently in nice restaurants. That said, Platinum and Gold credit cards are the most common. Don't worry about applying for one though, you'll receive a nice letter when you qualify for it
biggrin.gif

Thai Basil... OK, I'll give it a go when I go back! What would you recommend I have? Can you remember?

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #88 of 115
Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_express_centurion

Ok, so the spending req is lower than I thought - it's $250k USD through another Amex card with net worth over $25m USD to be invited. Still though, with only 10k holders, it's one rare piece of plastic. Certainly more rare than the Gold Delta Skymiles Amex I've got, lol. What got me about the DBS Bank-issued Black Card was reading through the underwriting guidelines - and discovering exactly the same text as a "normal" card. Surely American Express's marketing department wouldn't allow the image of its most rare card to be sullied in this way...http://hk.dbs.com/bq03.htm

As for thai basil, it's been 6 months since I've been there, so my memory is failing me as to what I had. I do remember it being good, and relatively reasonably priced for lunch.

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #89 of 115
Quote:

Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_express_centurion

Ok, so the spending req is lower than I thought - it's $250k USD through another Amex card with net worth over $25m USD to be invited. Still though, with only 10k holders, it's one rare piece of plastic. Certainly more rare than the Gold Delta Skymiles Amex I've got, lol.

Nice! All those benefits are absolutely useless though. If you have 25M in assets, you seriously won't care whether you get a free 1st class upgrade or not because you'll be flying first class anyway. Same goes for the free room in the Mandarin Oriental and airport lounge access.
rolleyes.gif
250k is a hell of a lot of money to spend, especially through a credit card
biggrin.gif
You'd think that for large transactions, they'd just do wire transfer. I guess they buy a lot of stuff constantly
biggrin.gif

Quote:

As for thai basil, it's been 6 months since I've been there, so my memory is failing me as to what I had. I do remember it being good, and relatively reasonably priced for lunch.

Cheers, definitely worth a visit! So what brought you to Hong Kong? Holiday? Family/friends? Where else did you stay/eat/play/shop?

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #90 of 115
True enough - I would imagine though that not all that qualifying spending would be personal...just to say you've got a black card would be pretty darn cool though :-D

I have a lot of family that lives in HK, and that was pretty much my last opportunity to take a vacation before starting my professional life. This whole "only having 3 weeks of vacation a year" thing is really strange, I want my summer breaks back, hahaha. There wasn't much else of note as far as dining goes, but now I've got a craving for congee with thousand-year eggs and pork...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back