What is your favorite record from 1967?
Feb 6, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 45
Absolutely_Free.jpg

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 45
Second Velvet Underground and Nico. That album still sounds so far ahead of its time, it scary.

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #19 of 45
Vic, you know I gots to ask: Where did you find that Beach Boys cover? The one I'm familiar with is this one (under the more common "Smiley Smile"):

l825.jpg

[EDIT] NM - just read a little on the history of that cover. Tell me you have one of those (reportedly only a handful) copies???

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[EDIT] NM - just read a little on the history of that cover. Tell me you have one of those (reportedly only a handful) copies???

i have the Vigotone bootleg of the original SMiLE. it's supposedly somewhat valuable at this point, although mine is in kinda rough shape (i didn't know what i had).

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #21 of 45
i'm going to go with two masterpiece debuts: The Velvet Underground & Nico, and The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.
Lennon and McCartney visited the studio while Pink Floyd were recording their album. Eight-track was new technology, and the two Beatles credit witnessing that session as a big influence for their next album Sgt. Peppers.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm going to go with two masterpiece debuts: The Velvet Underground & Nico, and The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.
Lennon and McCartney visited the studio while Pink Floyd were recording their album. Eight-track was new technology, and the two Beatles credit witnessing that session as a big influence for their next album Sgt. Peppers.

are you sure you're not thinking of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds? Lennon/McCartney talk about visiting those sessions as a big influence on Sgt. Pepper.

Sgt. Peppers and Piper were recorded at the same time in the same place, but i've not seen that one influenced the other.

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you sure you're not thinking of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds? Lennon/McCartney talk about visiting those sessions as a big influence on Sgt. Pepper.

Sgt. Peppers and Piper were recorded at the same time in the same place, but i've not seen that one influenced the other.

i can't remember exactly where the article came from, but i'm positive it referred to Floyd's influence and not the Beach Boys.
the gist of it was that Lennon & McCartney were pretty floored by what they saw/ heard in the studio, and it gave them some new ideas for Sgt. Peppers. 8-track technology was the context, so whether the influence was more technical than musical, i can't say for sure.

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #25 of 45
smr.jpg

I'm setting myself up for a lot of eye-rolling with this, but while many say that this is a pretentious failure, to me this is an underrated album and one that is still very listen-able. Forty years on and I've never grown tired of it, it's two of my favorite Sunday-night-with-the-lights-off-staring-at-the-lava-lamp sides. I play it just as much if not more than Forever Changes (indispensable) and Velvet Underground and Nico (also great).

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #26 of 45
Probably Hendrix's Are You Experienced?, with Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn coming in close second.

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark! /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm setting myself up for a lot of eye-rolling with this, but while many say that this is a pretentious failure, to me this is an underrated album and one that is still very listen-able.

Want company? I'm not a big Stones fan (very hit and miss for me), but I love this album. I can agree that it's pretentious, but then, I guess, so am I!
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #29 of 45
Let's see... The Stones and Dylan did not publish any truly classic albums that year... And the Stooges had just formed by then... So these:

1. The Doors - The Doors
2. The Doors - Strange Days
3. Velvet Underground and Nico

All of these are way ahead of their time musically, not just in a corny "concept album / fancy cover art" -way, like their liverpudlian counterpart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back