What is your favorite headphone headband/earcup style, and why?
Jan 16, 2011 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

iandh

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking about building a custom set of cans with various materials I've collected over the years. I've got aluminum, titanium, delrin, exotic hardwoods, various high grade leathers, velour, etc. Basically everything you'd need to make a really great set of cans, minus the drivers.

A lot of cans have some flaw in the way they hold to your head... they rely too much or too little on clamping pressure, have pressure points, lack of swivel/tilt for the cups, too little padding, too little earcup depth, etc. A lot of cans don't necessarily have flaws, but plain don't fit some people for one reason or another.

I'm trying to design a set of cans that allows the user to adjust just about every aspect of the way they fit... or at least allows the cans to adjust it themselves. Additionally, I'm trying to keep them lightweight, and reasonably sleek. I have some titanium sheet stock and round bar that would be absolutely perfect for headband construction. I also have several hardwoods, black limba, wenge, claro walnut, etc, as well as aluminum billet, and many, many fasteners.

I have my own milling machine and lathe, and basically every other tool you need in a stocked shop. I've started working full time, and want a no-cost hobby project to work on occasionally after work.

I would really appreciate it if you all could post your favorite cans in these respects; model numbers would be great, pictures would be even better. If you could give a short explanation of why you like them, I would really appreciate it. I'm not trying to do anything commercial here, I just want to get some minds together and come up with a really great design for myself, and maybe some other modders can get in on the fun too. I'd be more than happy to supply drawings once everything is said and done.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 3
i think hes looking to make cans, not iems. 

my favorite cans ive tried on confort wise are the dt770. I have a slightly small head, so the pro's clamping force is a plus for me. other than that, the headband seems to stay pretty comfy. comfort isnt a huge deal to me though, so ive never put too much thought into it

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 3
mine is open headphones.HD650, DT990, AKG 701/2 and so on i love open better than closed headphones or iem because open has more stanging and its fun to disturb my girlfriend hahaha..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back