What is your favorite audio magazine?
Dec 20, 2009 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

brown274

100+ Head-Fier
The question says it all. What is a must read for you each month? Is it online, or do you get it by mail. I am looking to subscribe to a few that cover mostly home audio and was wondering what you guys think.

I have had Sound & Vision and Electronic House in the past.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 15
I receive the three biggies still. "Stereophile" (last yr for theirs) that's starting to remind me of the old "Stereo Review" Crap!!! The "Absolute Sound" and "HI-FI+" which I've enjoyed from the 1st issue, but sadly is now owned by the "Absolute Sound" people...There has been duplicate articles in them both....That makes a lot of sense doesn't it!! Here they're begging for subscriptions and pull crap like that.... The Prices for most of the equipment they all review takes that (******-Y*U) MONEY! stupid crazy!

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 15
I think almost every one I have read is crap. They all remind me of Car and Driver and Road and Track magazines. Totally in the advertiser's pocket and won't give a bad review to anything. Every high-end speaker is "as close to the real sound as is possible at this time." And the writers would sooner die than level match or do a double blind test. If there was a magazine that used those two comparison methods I would subscribe today. The British mags are a little better though, I pick up What Hi-Fi and Hi-Fi Choice sometimes. Just like I only buy Evo and BIKE now, I won't ever touch an American car or motorcycle magazine again. Reading them is worse than eating your own poo.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 15
I enjoy reading Hi Fi News more than any other mags- especially Ken Kessler's often outspoken articles. Lost interest in Stereopile long time ago. The only reason I still pick it up once in a while is to read the Analog Corner.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 15
Tone Audio on-line and Stereophile. I realize they are often like what other posters have said but I like to read in general and it makes for interesting reading. Especially when it's unintentionally funny such as when a manufacturer says an optional ebony knob will cause his passive preamp to sound better than the stock metal knobs.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadcykler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tone Audio on-line and Stereophile. I realize they are often like what other posters have said but I like to read in general and it makes for interesting reading. Especially when it's unintentionally funny such as when a manufacturer says an optional ebony knob will cause his passive preamp to sound better than the stock metal knobs.

Anybody who can't tell the difference between wood and metal knobs must have cloth ears. If you are insinuating that the type of knob material doesn't make a difference, you don't deserve to be an audiophile. It's you "objectivists" who are ruining audio for the rest of us!

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 15
For me the best are two german magazines, PURE HI-FI P@RN:

Image Hi-Fi
LP Magazin

I dont find magazine's in english as good as those two, but I guess Hi-Fi+ before the absolute takeover was imo the best printed and in the web, I find this two not to bad:

Positive Feedback
6moons

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 15
I read stereophile digital because I live out here on the other side of the moon, and digital is affordable. Its also a good way to keep up with the industry news. And it has Art Dudley --have about a dozen issues of Listener-- whom I read whenever he's not remodling a turntable or rebuilding some vintage speaker. (I'm not interested in analog and I am a danger to humanity with a soldering iron).

Occasionally I buy Hi-Fi news, but everything they review costs nine-zillion dollars, and a high percentage is analog, but they do have ken Kessler. One mag I enjoyed was UHF out of Canada; they give a lot of space to helping readers resolve their hi-fi woes and I have learned from their upgrade advice.

In most instances, it's the reviewer I read for and not the magazine. If I like absolute sound and some of the others, it's occasional and because of the quality of specific reviewers. Since headphones have become for me the medium of choice, I am less interested in a large portion of the equipment the mags review.

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My two favorites:
* Fidelity
* TONEAudio Magazine

Nice! ToneAudio (first time I've heard of it) actually offers their magazines in pdf form ..... for free!. Crazy thing is that I prefer paper magazines over digital, so I'm gonna get me a subscription of this now
smily_headphones1.gif

Nothing like holding print material in your hands.

edit* Wow, I feel silly. They don't have a paper publication. It's a digital magazine only. Very nice!

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 15
*sigh*

Listener was the best audio magazine I've had the pleasure of reading. Subscribed to it for a few years, then it went under.

Damn!

It was Art Dudley's mag.

Now I'm down to Stereophile and The Absolute Sound, and shortly the Head-Fi Quarterly...when's that coming out?

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*sigh*

Listener was the best audio magazine I've had the pleasure of reading. Subscribed to it for a few years, then it went under.

Damn!

It was Art Dudley's mag.

This.....big time! I SO miss Art's work, along with the others who just got the "soul" of the music right. I had a large collection of them that got killed in a basement flood, and went out and bought someone else's collection. Not as many as I had originally, but it was great to have them back in the fold.

I also remember being on a trip overseas for work; I had a copy of Listener with me, and sent an email to just tell him how much I enjoyed that issue. Got a very nice reply, very quickly, from Art.

I like Bound For Sound as well. Newsletter, no ads, I've had some surprisingly similar experiences as MGD. Like his writing and reviews, even if I don't always agree with him (though that is rare).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back