What is the ultimate portable
Dec 14, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #46 of 51
PJB100 MP3 (hard drive) player.

Close second is the Nomad Jukebox 3.

I have not heard the IPOD.

Dec 15, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #47 of 51
Well, I've now heard the CD-3400...and it's good alright. I may have a new favorite PCDP.

Dec 15, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #48 of 51
Hirsh can you give a comparison between the sound of d-303 and optimus through headphone out, lineout and optical out. Many of us have been waiting for a direct comparison of the optimus and one of sonys best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,

Biggie.

Dec 15, 2002 at 6:08 AM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Hirsh can you give a comparison between the sound of d-303 and optimus through headphone out, lineout and optical out. Many of us have been waiting for a direct comparison of the optimus and one of sonys best.
smily_headphones1.gif

PCDP's have headphone and digital outputs, in addition to the line out??? I don't think I've ever used them.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll try and do some sort of comparison. The digital out comparison could be tricky. The D-303 has a Toslink out, while the digital out of the Optimus is coax. I'll have to find a mini to RCA mono adapter to hook a cable up there. OTOH, the different formats will let me run both into a Monarchy DIP, for easy switching and optical to coax conversion. I'll post after I've had a bit of listening time in.

Dec 15, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #50 of 51
I can't explain why the Nomad sounds better than my portable CD and MD players but it does. Possible it has better D/A converters - it definitely has a better amplifier.

I definitely hear more detail from familiar recordings - the Nomad 3 works really well with the Etymotics - a very revealing headphone - with no problems.

Dec 16, 2002 at 8:18 AM Post #51 of 51
I have a NJB3. Good sound. But really poor software and drivers and firmware. I could go into details, but they usually improve with time.

Have not loaded new stuff in my NJB3 for a while. Am doing it now. Usual pain in the ass.

My Treo 10, at 1/2 the price, is not as sophisticated as the NJB3, but it's software works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back