What is the ultimate portable
Dec 11, 2002 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Brad Harper

100+ Head-Fier
What do you guys think is the ultimate model portable reguardless of format (CD, DAT, MD, MP3, etc...)?
Doesn't have to neccesarily be the best headphone out, but a good transport/line out. Take into account the features, ergonomics, and price point.

Dec 11, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 51
my current fave is the sony mz-r70 md unit. it doesn't have a line out, but the headphone out is great, especially with eggos.

Dec 11, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 51
ipod, even though i dont own one i think its the best unit out there.

Dec 11, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

.....but a good transport/line out

I would've said the iPod also, but it doesn't meet the criteria.
frown.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 51
Nomad Jukebox 3 without a shadow of a doubt. Got everything that the Ipod has and more. The supplied carrying case clips well to your belt and it doesn't skip.

Top Sony MD units are fairly cool too. In fact their cheapest NetMD recorder sounds excellent in my opinion. Nice mellow and weighty sound for such a small and tacky looking unit.

Dec 11, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 51
I have a preference for mini disc players. I have a couple Sony. The MZN1/R700 and a Sharp MT77(that I dropped)... On it's way back to Hyper Jack in Japan.

I would also have to agree; the iPod seems really hard to resist. Not too familiar with Nomad's. Guess like headphones, so much is personal preference. There are some cool choices though. Thanks.

PJB 100

Dec 12, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 51
Are you guys telling me you prefer the sound of minidisc and MP3 to CD. I can't believe that the same guys who are into headphone preamps and tweeked out high end headphones would be willing to listen to these highly compressed formats.

Dec 12, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 51
Brad Harper, not only are MP3's and MD's compressed formats, but most PCDPs also compress the sound - and some (most notably Panasonics made within the past two years) have compressed-sounding anti-skip circuits that can't be turned off at all. On top of that, current PCDPs as a group have worse-sounding headphone-outs (note that I'm talking quality, not quantity, here) than either MP3 players or MD players (current Sony PCDPs are worse than average in headphone-out sound quality in this unimpressive group), and the majority of PCDPs made today have no line-out at all whatsoever (cost-cutting ****** up's are to blame in all these cases).

Dec 12, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Brad Harper
Are you guys telling me you prefer the sound of minidisc and MP3 to CD. I can't believe that the same guys who are into headphone preamps and tweeked out high end headphones would be willing to listen to these highly compressed formats.

Who said anything about MP3s
confused.gif

I use only Wave format with my Nomad Jukebox 3. Granted it's not the most practical method because of reduced battery life and less space but for my needs it works fine.

Dec 12, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 51
Sony d-515. First player with skip protection and it has an amazing lineout (sounds much better then all new sonys and panasonic 570 and Ive read it sounds better then sony 777). Bass boost also effects the lineout. Runs on 2 AA batteries for like 4 hours hehe.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back